Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
Cardinal 04 31LE
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ridgely, MD
Posts: 83
Tire Blow Out

I just purchased my first fifth wheel, used (1 previous owner) 2004 Cardinal 31LE, went on my first short trip to work out the "bugs" and the left front tandem blew a tire running about 55mph. The tires appear to be in very good condition, or so I thought. Good tread, no sidewall deterioation, etc. I am wondering if the load rating is too light? I have read a few things on this forum where people are suggesting a load range E or G. The documentation that came with the unit is not very comprehensive although the previous owner indicates that it is all they were given when they purchased the unit new. My questions are A) suggestions for appropriate tires and B) where do I locate good / better documentation on the unit?

Thanks to anyone that can help. If there are other owners of the 31LE with bunkhouse out there please respond so I can compare notes.

Bryan Ebling
__________________

__________________
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,552
Are they Carlisle's? If they are, then replace them all. I had a blow out last year on a tire that had less than 5000 miles on it and looked like new. I replaced them with Goodyear Marathons.

Documentation on units from Forest River is poor at best. If you have a 2004 model, then you have the same piece of crap owners manual that I do. It is generally worthless. Go to a dealer or bookstore and find a good all purpose RV manual. That will be much better than what FR gives you.
__________________

__________________

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Cardinal 04 31LE
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ridgely, MD
Posts: 83
Tire Blow Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Are they Carlisle's? If they are, then replace them all. I had a blow out last year on a tire that had less than 5000 miles on it and looked like new. I replaced them with Goodyear Marathons.

Documentation on units from Forest River is poor at best. If you have a 2004 model, then you have the same piece of crap owners manual that I do. It is generally worthless. Go to a dealer or bookstore and find a good all purpose RV manual. That will be much better than what FR gives you.
Thanks, the tires are a KLEVER I think they are made by Kenda or something like that. They are load range E.
I agree with your opinion of the owners manual.
__________________
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,733
Your best document would be a truck scale receipt that shows your trailer
weight, truck weight and the total!!!!
It's easy to do and very handy to know what you REALLY weigh and not just
what some paper says the trailer was supposed to weigh before all the options
and your stuff were put in there.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Cardinal 04 31LE
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ridgely, MD
Posts: 83
Thanks for the great suggestion. I can do that easily!
__________________
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Your best document would be a truck scale receipt that shows your trailer
weight, truck weight and the total!!!!
It's easy to do and very handy to know what you REALLY weigh and not just
what some paper says the trailer was supposed to weigh before all the options
and your stuff were put in there.
Yes this is the best way, have the weight checked on a scale. Campers have been off by as much as 1,500 lbs (heavier) then what the label says.
__________________
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
I had ST 205/75R15-load rated "C" on my 8314SS and I changed them to ST225/75R15-load rated "D"....From a 6 ply to an 8 ply, the camper tows much smoother and more stable.
__________________
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Rockwood 8281SS
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Calif.
Posts: 4
The tires on a 04 trailer are about six yrs old. It is recommended to replace trailer tires at 5-6 yrs max. The tread has nothing to do with the structure breakdown internally. E rated tires should be fine with your trailer. Choose a major brand and you should be OK.
__________________
steve smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 74
We had an '04 KZ with Nankang tires load range D. I had always set the pressure about 10psi below the recommended max except the one time when I tried the max rated pressure and had three fail on one 1000 mile trip. I upgraded to load range E Carlisle. We traded the trailer before towing enough to comment on the Carlisle tires.

I did convince the manufacturer Nankang to pay me for the relpacement tires after I threatened to file a complaint with the National Highway Safety board. That seemed to get prompt payment, go figure.

My advice is to be careful of the pressure you put in any tire regardless of manufactures recommendations. The tires on our new camper I run 5-7 psi below recommended max.
__________________
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve smith View Post
The tires on a 04 trailer are about six yrs old. It is recommended to replace trailer tires at 5-6 yrs max. The tread has nothing to do with the structure breakdown internally. E rated tires should be fine with your trailer. Choose a major brand and you should be OK.
check the date code on the tires, they may be older then that. My tires were two years old when I bought my camper new in 2005 and it is a new model year for 2006.
__________________

__________________
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.