Old 06-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #11

I-40.......around Jackson, TN today............a Coleman TT on side of road on west bound side (I was headed E.)..........with a wheel and NO tire. Blue lights everywhere. Three separate places behind him were fire trucks spraying down the median and ditch.

Clearly he blew up a hub and caught it on fire, tire parts on fire headed to weeds, and a big old mess.

There but for the Grace of God go I..............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #12

Hankook RA08. 195R14 because they are 195/82R14 instead of /75. If you have a Discount Tire or one of their sister companies near you can get them quick.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #13

I replaced my 205/75 R14 bias ply tires with Taskmaster 215/75 R14 tires which are D weight rated at 2200# per tire and are speed rated M (81MPH). So far they are great tires. I would recommend them.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Hankook Radial RA08 195R14C D/

is actually a "commercial" tire designed to European or Asian standards (full Metric). The "C" indicates Commercial.

It is Load Range D
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoadzie View Post
I'm on the road and blew a tire today. Praise God for AAA. The spare does not match the other 3. First, is this a problem? I'm thinking of replacing two right now? Which two, same side or one on each side, or am I making a mistake? ST205/75 - 14, I think c rated.
By "blew today" do you mean a "Run Low Flex Failure" that looked like this?

This type of failure occurs when the tire looses significant air from cut, puncture or leaking valve. Your TPMS should have provided a warning in advance of the failure.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 06-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #16

I had a tread separation last night, took half an hour from stop to start to put the spare on.

Will do some shopping today.

Load range D @ 65 PSI Akuret ST225/75R15, tire still has air but no tread.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Bite the bullet and get 5 new LR D tires and have them balanced.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I had a tread separation last night, took half an hour from stop to start to put the spare on.

Will do some shopping today.

Load range D @ 65 PSI Akuret ST225/75R15, tire still has air but no tread.

OK Tread Separation more like this

many times can be traced to MFG issue.
Be sure to get a couple of pictures and the full DOT S/N. You should ask tire dealer for "adjustment and replacement" of the failed tire for "manufacturing defect".

You should also plan on filing a complaint with NHTSA
If dealer refuses to adjust and replace the tire I would name the dealer in the complaint to NHTSA. In the complaint tell them the tire still held air and the failure was a tread separation and that you have pictures available if they want them. If they are interested they will ask for pictures later on.

NHTSA will send you an email with a complaint #. I would forward that number to dealer and CEO of RV company too.

It would be good for you to post the DOT S/N here so we can identify the specific plant where the tire was made.

FYI many times Trd Sep can be discovered well before the tire comes apart if a close inspection is done.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #19

I am not even sure if a local tire shop here will have ST's in stock.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
OK Tread Separation more like this

but without break in body
many times can be traced to MFG issue.
Be sure to get a couple of pictures and the full DOT S/N. You should ask tire dealer for "adjustment and replacement" of the failed tire for "manufacturing defect".

You should also plan on filing a complaint with NHTSA
If dealer refuses to adjust and replace the tire I would name the dealer in the complaint to NHTSA. In the complaint tell them the tire still held air and the failure was a tread separation and that you have pictures available if they want them. If they are interested they will ask for pictures later on.

NHTSA will send you an email with a complaint #. I would forward that number to dealer and CEO of RV company too.

It would be good for you to post the DOT S/N here so we can identify the specific plant where the tire was made.

I can and will but I need to be quiet a bit longer....

Dealer stopped selling FR units last year so I doubt I get much there.

Tags
tire