Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
Senior New Member

Angry tire bomb evidence

Stock TowMax tires on a 2015 Crusader 295 ST; 80 lb pressure cold, 60 mph max speed, smooth Interstate highway; the force of the explosion almost blew the fender skirt off the kitchen slide....only 2 screws not stripped out were left to hold it on. We were fortunate to find a few extra feet of shoulder to stop on, and the blowout was not on the highway side of the trailer. The spare carried us 100 miles to the nearest Discount Tire store (open on Saturdays), so we replaced all 4 tires; After reviewing numerous forum posts, I'm sorry to say the only replacement trailer tires were also made in China, but we made it home in an additional 500 miles and I'll discuss any options with our local Discount Tire dealer tomorrow. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3025.JPG Blow Out.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	110353  
ausstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

I just replaced all 4 of my original Tow Max tires after finding a large bulge in one. Mine was just a ticking time bomb unlike yours that already exploded. I went with 15" load range E Maxxis tires. Total cost was about $600 with tax and mounting from Discount tire. Glad it didn't cause an accident.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #3

See if your replacement dealer can pinpoint the cause of the failure. Without it it’s just another tire failure with brand and design immaterial.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
Commercial Member

From picture it appears to be basic tread separation which is primarily a factory issue of the technology used to make the tire not being first class.

This is not a "Run Low Flex" failure as far as I can see. So not a case of a leaking tire.

Can you post the tire DOT so we can identify who actually made the tire?

A complaint filed with NHTSA is definitely called for.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
From picture it appears to be basic tread separation which is primarily a factory issue of the technology used to make the tire not being first class.

This is not a "Run Low Flex" failure as far as I can see. So not a case of a leaking tire.

Can you post the tire DOT so we can identify who actually made the tire?

A complaint filed with NHTSA is definitely called for.
I totally agree. Belt edge separation failure. Problem is, you don't feel it happening on a trailer so it goes far too long before you notice it.
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire