Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Tire changing single axle

ALL-

Please excuse my ignorance i am a band new TT owner and am prepping for my maiden voyage. I think i have the basic covered but one thing came to my mind.

What if i need to change a tire due to a flat. There is not a lot of information available for a single axle rig. And my manual does not have a recommendation on the subject.

My questions are
1 do i leave the TT hooked up to the tow vehicle while changing the tire and second being that i have a single axle do i jack from the axle or frame while hooked up to the tow vehicle.

There just isnt a lot of info out there on this subject for a single axle.

Thanks
Pmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

Yes, leave the trailer hooked up to the tow vehicle.
Chock the good tire.
Use a jack on the spring shackle that is on the axle on the bad tire side.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Not knowing what kind of unit you have here???...
I would leave the camper hooked up to the tow vehicle.
The frame or the axle near the back side of the tire, spring shackle would be my recommendation.
Raise and lower slowly.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #4

Perhaps this?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...637856&cad=rjt

And as above chock the good one, set the parking brake on the tow rig.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #5

PS.....Don't forget the lug wrench and breaker bar.

BTW...Welcome to the site from Chagrin Falls, Ohio.
What trailer did you buy?
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #6

A small bottle jack under the spring perch. I like a few pieces of 2"x6" or 2"x12" to help out. Roll the flat tire up onto the 2"x to get things up off the ground a bit. Loosen the lug nuts slightly and then jack it up. Once up and flat off remove the 2"x that was under the tire and you will have more room. Most bottle jacks have some limited throw so the spacer 2"x can be a big help.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #7

ALl thanks for the replies i love these forums as so many people are helpful. My wife AND i just purchased a 2017 apex nano 193bhs . it will be the maiden voyage Friday as my wife has a deer hunt her first and she is super excited
Old 11-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
Insert witty title here

Make sure you have a lug wrench and a jack. Do not assume that the trailer came with one. I found this out the hard way after getting a blow out on the side of I95 in GA 1100 miles from home. I had to unhitch the TT from my TV and leave it on the side of the highway so I could run off and buy them.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #9

i didnt not assume the TT came with one do they typically? i have not seen one in my unit. I do have one in the TV and i carry an extra star as well
Old 11-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #10

Check the wrench that came with the TV, it is probably the right size and should work.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #11

I have a BRAND NEW drive on jack like the one pictured above for sale. My price: $35.00 including postage...you pay NO tax!
Jobecka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobecka1 View Post
I have a BRAND NEW drive on jack like the one pictured above for sale. My price: $35.00 including postage...you pay NO tax!
What is the largest size this will work safely with ? I am hearing they don not work on larger size tires tires like 15 ?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #13

single axle tire change

I don't know how the tool (jack) in the picture works but I bought a two ton scissors jack. I measured the distance from the axle plate and had just less than 6" on a 13" tire. Bottle jacks require just over 7" of clearance so the scissor jack did the trick. We have a Viking 17FQ @ 2800 lbs. empty. I have had a T-handle lug nut wrench for years and I keep it in the trailer.

Last month we set up in a camp ground and as I was lowering my stabilizing jacks I noticed a six inch bubble on the right side of the trailer. The scissor jack and t-handle lug wrench worked like a charm (luckily I was in the camp site not on the road). I don't know what unit you have but keep the speed to 60 or less and ALWAYS check your tire pressure before leaving and during the trip (Including the spare tire). I bought a tire pressure gauge at Camping World for about $20 -$25 - Between that and the scissors jack, best $$ I have spent on the TT as those small single axle tires scare the bejeepers out of me.
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #14

In response to Pmixmaster, the original box with the jack states: "up to two ton lifting capacity; works on up to 16" rims, round or square axles."
Jobecka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #15

Have you thought about calling Triple A? Those guys come with all the tools.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmixmaster View Post
What is the largest size this will work safely with ? I am hearing they don not work on larger size tires tires like 15 ?
If you look, they are good for 8" to 15" tires. With a 2 x 4 under it will even lift a 16" wheel.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #17
Failure is my business

All good information. My only addition is to check the size of the lug that holds the spare. Mine is 3/4" while the actual wheel lugs are 11/16". I carry two sockets.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post
All good information. My only addition is to check the size of the lug that holds the spare. Mine is 3/4" while the actual wheel lugs are 11/16". I carry two sockets.
Got bit by that one...
Old 12-01-2016, 02:50 AM   #19

I had to change a tire on my 310BHDS Thanksgiving morning. I had checked the tire pressure in all four tires on Wednesday, finding that all four tires needed to be topped off between 2-5 pounds each. After topping off I pulled the unit up into the driveway to finish putting all the stuff in it. Thursday morn I went out with an arm load of stuff and found the right rear tire flat as a door nail. The spare tire air pressure was fine so I changed them out. After removing the flat tire I inflated it to 70#, ran some water over the entire tire, rim and valve stem--no leak found. I put tire from the TT back into the spare tire holder and went camping. I checked the tire pressure three times while we were gone and it held steady at 70#. Today I took the former flat tire back out of the spare tire holder and will take it to a shop tomorrow to have them remove the tire from the rim for a good inspection inside/out. IF no cause for the leak found I'll have them remount the tire with a new valve stem, which I suspect was the problem and balance the tire. When I went to change out the tire I got one of my 3 ton floor jacks from the shop and it would not lift the axle of the TT. I would up using my 10 ton bottle jack to raise the axle and I carried that with me for this trip. I'm buying a new 10t. bottle jack to keep in the TT.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I had to change a tire on my 310BHDS Thanksgiving morning. I had checked the tire pressure in all four tires on Wednesday, finding that all four tires needed to be topped off between 2-5 pounds each. After topping off I pulled the unit up into the driveway to finish putting all the stuff in it. Thursday morn I went out with an arm load of stuff and found the right rear tire flat as a door nail. The spare tire air pressure was fine so I changed them out. After removing the flat tire I inflated it to 70#, ran some water over the entire tire, rim and valve stem--no leak found. I put tire from the TT back into the spare tire holder and went camping. I checked the tire pressure three times while we were gone and it held steady at 70#. Today I took the former flat tire back out of the spare tire holder and will take it to a shop tomorrow to have them remove the tire from the rim for a good inspection inside/out. IF no cause for the leak found I'll have them remount the tire with a new valve stem, which I suspect was the problem and balance the tire. When I went to change out the tire I got one of my 3 ton floor jacks from the shop and it would not lift the axle of the TT. I would up using my 10 ton bottle jack to raise the axle and I carried that with me for this trip. I'm buying a new 10t. bottle jack to keep in the TT.
Probably no need to take your tire for service. I would suspect that when you checked the air pressure the valve core simply got stuck and allowed the air to escape. Check it again and if still holding air you are good!
gloryracing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, tire