Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

Tire Clearance

I'm still going over tire specs for a possible upgrade to a g rated tire. Now I've run into a potential problem. My existing tires roughly measure 30" diameter and the spacing between tires is an accurate 2.25". I was considering the Sailun 637, but they are 32" diameter tires, which eats up almost all available clearance. The Goodyear G614's are 31" tires, which would still leave me 1.25" of clearance. For you fellows with more experience with tire upgrades, Is that adequate? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

If you have Dexter axles the minimum distance between tires is 1".

With the proper rim (16x6.5") the GY G614 RST is 30.7" tall.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx
Old 03-20-2016, 09:48 PM   #3

Thanks Airdale. I was on Simpletire's website looking at the Sailuns, and checked the G614's while I was there. They listed the G614 at 31". Not much difference I admit, but at this point, I'll take every 1/4" I can get.
And since I'll need new rims anyway, 6 1/2" rims would be used. Thanks for the info, that helps a lot.
I also want to put some effort into measuring the exact diameter of my existing tires. That will be one of tomorrow's chores.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:11 AM   #4
Always Learning

This is exactly why I opted for 17.5" rims and lower profile tires. I went up a couple of load ranges and carrying capacity. I decreased my overall tire diameter + thusly increased my spacing between the tires.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I decreased my overall tire diameter + thusly increased my spacing between the tires.

How much did it lower the trailer?
Maybe THATS why you tore your jacks off..

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Thanks Airdale. I was on Simpletire's website looking at the Sailuns, and checked the G614's while I was there. They listed the G614 at 31". Not much difference I admit, but at this point, I'll take every 1/4" I can get.
And since I'll need new rims anyway, 6 1/2" rims would be used. Thanks for the info, that helps a lot.
I also want to put some effort into measuring the exact diameter of my existing tires. That will be one of tomorrow's chores.
That sounds like a lot of money to change out of your pockets. will that also change the height to the finder well? Good luck with your choice, hope it works out for you...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
How much did it lower the trailer?
Maybe THATS why you tore your jacks off..

I think these tires were 1/2" smaller in diameter than what I took off. So the lowering was not noticeable. And short of that monster truck + RV combo- that parking lot exit was going to eat my stabilizers.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That sounds like a lot of money to change out of your pockets. will that also change the height to the finder well? Good luck with your choice, hope it works out for you...
You are correct. It IS a lot of money. Around $1800 (wheels and tires) to be exact, and that grinds my gears as well, but, changing out chinabombs on the side of the highway over and over and buying replacement tires when you're at the mercy of billybobs tire shop is also not desirable. There is plenty of clearance in the fender wells.

This is one of the glaring examples of poor quality FR uses in their coaches. I know the Silverback isn't a Mobile Suites, but it's not a popup either, yet, it came with popup quality tires. I did a little research on the tires that came on my coach, and they can be ordered for $74 each. I would wager that FR pays less than $60 per. Guess where these tires are made? Constancy 188's are just about the crappiest tires you can buy. Now, having said that, they are still rolling. We have around 2000 miles on them now with no problems and they were built in 2014. They spent their first year sitting on a dealers parking lot south of Houston where the sun can be intense most of the year.
My biggest fear is that one of these cheap tires might blow at 60 mph beneath the refer and rip out propane tubing and electrical, plus destroying the left side fender well along with the slide components. This at a cost far exceeding the cost of better tires.
Yes, I have insurance, but I've heard so many stories of shops being unable to repair these coaches in a way that restores them to "as new". Plus the coach ends up sitting on some repair shops yard for weeks or months waiting on parts.
So, having weighed out all the pros and cons of doing nothing, just replacing tires with Maxxis 8008's,(still a good option) or replacing wheels and G614 tires together, I keep leaning to the G614's just for the reliability and peace of mind. It's sort of like buying a single premium insurance policy. I realize there are no guarantees, and even the 614's will need replacing eventually, but it's still a good option. Yet the Maxxis tires seem to have a good reputation as well....so I'm still considering options.

Ependy, can I even get 17.5", 6 lug wheels? I think I checked on that, but I recall that 17.5" wheels are not available for 6000 lb axles. I really don't want to change axles too. That would drive costs up in the $3000 range.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The cost per tire mounted on a rim is likely a lot lower than $60.00 Probably closer to $25 - $35 each.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I think these tires were 1/2" smaller in diameter than what I took off. So the lowering was not noticeable. And short of that monster truck + RV combo- that parking lot exit was going to eat my stabilizers.
But we made that parking lot exit regurgitate the stabilizers and brought them back to life.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
I realize there are no guarantees, and even the 614's will need replacing eventually, but it's still a good option. Yet the Maxxis tires seem to have a good reputation as well....so I'm still considering options.

Ependy, can I even get 17.5", 6 lug wheels? I think I checked on that, but I recall that 17.5" wheels are not available for 6000 lb axles. I really don't want to change axles too. That would drive costs up in the $3000 range.
Ahh, sorry- didn't realize you were on 6k axles and 6-lug wheels. I think you're right, it's not offered BUT I didn't research much. Did you contact the folks at Trailer Tires and Wheels? I'm sure they could tell you definitively.

If you're on 6k axles, IMO the Maxxis have more than enough capacity (3,420 lbs. per tire) and get good reviews to boot. Buy them and with the money that you save, get a TST-brand TPMS. I know blowouts occur, but I think what happens more often is a flat that disintegrates into throwing rubber everywhere because the driver didn't know.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Ahh, sorry- didn't realize you were on 6k axles and 6-lug wheels. I think you're right, it's not offered BUT I didn't research much. Did you contact the folks at Trailer Tires and Wheels? I'm sure they could tell you definitively.

If you're on 6k axles, IMO the Maxxis have more than enough capacity (3,420 lbs. per tire) and get good reviews to boot. Buy them and with the money that you save, get a TST-brand TPMS. I know blowouts occur, but I think what happens more often is a flat that disintegrates into throwing rubber everywhere because the driver didn't know.
That's actually a pretty good option, and seriously worth studying. Thank you sir.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #13

Just an alternate suggestion ... I see you have a 29RE. You could easily go with LT's with your weight. I run LT 23585R16 Michelins on my 33IK with no worries. They were an inch taller than OEM tires. You can't beat G614's, but they are pricey a bit overkill for mid range weights.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
You are correct. It IS a lot of money. Around $1800 (wheels and tires) to be exact, and that grinds my gears as well, but, changing out chinabombs on the side of the highway over and over and buying replacement tires when you're at the mercy of billybobs tire shop is also not desirable. There is plenty of clearance in the fender wells.

This is one of the glaring examples of poor quality FR uses in their coaches. I know the Silverback isn't a Mobile Suites, but it's not a popup either, yet, it came with popup quality tires. I did a little research on the tires that came on my coach, and they can be ordered for $74 each. I would wager that FR pays less than $60 per. Guess where these tires are made? Constancy 188's are just about the crappiest tires you can buy. Now, having said that, they are still rolling. We have around 2000 miles on them now with no problems and they were built in 2014. They spent their first year sitting on a dealers parking lot south of Houston where the sun can be intense most of the year.
My biggest fear is that one of these cheap tires might blow at 60 mph beneath the refer and rip out propane tubing and electrical, plus destroying the left side fender well along with the slide components. This at a cost far exceeding the cost of better tires.
Yes, I have insurance, but I've heard so many stories of shops being unable to repair these coaches in a way that restores them to "as new". Plus the coach ends up sitting on some repair shops yard for weeks or months waiting on parts.
So, having weighed out all the pros and cons of doing nothing, just replacing tires with Maxxis 8008's,(still a good option) or replacing wheels and G614 tires together, I keep leaning to the G614's just for the reliability and peace of mind. It's sort of like buying a single premium insurance policy. I realize there are no guarantees, and even the 614's will need replacing eventually, but it's still a good option. Yet the Maxxis tires seem to have a good reputation as well....so I'm still considering options.

You have other options for the 6000# axles. Options that will provide the load capacity of the OE tires and get you out of the "over there" market with quality tires without going to the "over kill" really stiff stuff. Here is just one of those options.

YokohamaÂ*RY103

p.s. Why would you consider an axle change? You're not going to change GVWR. Tires for RV trailers are fitted to the GAWR and an axle change will not change the GAWRs.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #15

Airdale, the Yokohama is a great tire, but that's a 17.5" My wheels are 16". I'm not planning on swapping axles. I was just making a point with Ependy. His camper has the 7000 lb axles so that upgrade was a good choice for him. However, it's not a good choice for me. I'm researching TPMS systems now. I'm just very uncomfortable with the cheap Constancy tires currently on the trailer, and need to upgrade to something better.
Thank you for your input....much appreciated.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Just an alternate suggestion ... I see you have a 29RE. You could easily go with LT's with your weight. I run LT 23585R16 Michelins on my 33IK with no worries. They were an inch taller than OEM tires. You can't beat G614's, but they are pricey a bit overkill for mid range weights.
Doesn't the load rating cause you some concern? I know the LT's are better tires than the ST's, but the more pliant sidewalls along with load rating is a concern. The load rating for the Michelin Rib is only 3042. That's pretty close to trailer weight even with the truck taking 2000 lbs at the pin. I will take a look at them though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #17

In the reference below, click on the tire replacements tab, then click on the “do I have to replace my present tires with the same size tires”.

That statement is the tire industry standard for replacement tires. As an owner you’re not bound to it but Michelin will not warranty tires that don’t meet that requirement. No one will if they have to identify the tire being replaced on paper.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/faq.html#1393412908155
Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #18

Yep, that pretty well explains Michelin's position.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #19

The load rating for LT tires has more safety factor built in than ST tires which are rated pretty much maxed out. None the less you have to remember that you have about 2000# or better sitting on your pinbox. My LT's are rated at 3045 each which means I could go up to near 14,000 to 14,500 GVW which in 18 years of owning fivers, I've not come close. Your fiver is lighter than mine unless you haul around everything you own including the kitchen sink ... I don't trust China Bomb ST tires, G614's are over kill for me, and I've run LT tires on my last 3 fivers without issue. My 05 Montana 2980RL came with LT tires straight from the factory.

PS Like you took it, mine was just an alternate suggestion. Some veminetly object to running LT tires on trailers ... everyone has their standards. If you want to go strictly by the numbers ... your axles are 6000#, so LT's would cover that weight ceiling. There are a good number of us running Michelin Ribs or LTX m/s2's day in day out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #20

You make a very compelling argument.

Thanks

Tags
tire