Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Tire Cupping

We've had our 5th wheel for part of the summer now and pulled it around 330 miles. We pulled it 500 miles this past weekend and upon arrival I noticed one of the front left tire is cupped pretty severely. I also noticed that even though the tires all look the same, that one is rated at 50psi while the others are rated at 65psi. They are all General tires and are load range D. If it was rated for max inflation of 50psi and they were all at 65psi would that cause cupping? I had also had a new brake backplate installed on the one before we left.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #2

check to see if the axles are out of alignment or seperating from the frame

shameless plug for More info on the Trailer so you can get someone with the same year and model to possibly answer your specific question or issue

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I also noticed that even though the tires all look the same, that one is rated at 50psi while the others are rated at 65psi. They are all General tires and are load range D. If it was rated for max inflation of 50psi and they were all at 65psi would that cause cupping? I had also had a new brake backplate installed on the one before we left.

Thanks
Something doesn't sound right. If they're all General load range D, they're all rated at 65psi. Load range C are rated at 50psi, load range E at 80psi. Are you sure that the one rated at 50psi isn't a load range C?

Is the tire that's showing the cupping wear the tire that's rated at 50 psi?

What are the tires inflated to?

Is the cupping wear on the tire the same where you replaced the brake backing plate?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #4

Dave made some very good points.

The work pick up I drive had one tire cupping after approx 40k's. I had them check the alignment and they said it was near perfect. The guy who put the new set of tires on said it was a bad tire. I now have almost 40K on this set and all tires are wearing evenly.
I don't know if that's your problem, but it's something to consider.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #5

if they aren't balanced, they will do that. i don't think that would show up after such few miles. sounds like the tire is bad.
i have had a truck do that and shimmy on curves after they had been run under inflated for abt 15k miles. even with the cupping, the shimmy disappeared after i raised the pressure to recommended pressure.
you can change places (rotate) with the tires and see if another tire in that position does the same thing.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I noticed one of the front left tire is cupped pretty severely.

They are all General tires and are load range D.
I am trying to understand this correctly, and please don't think I am being a smart-alec. When you say "one" of the front left tires, does it have dual wheels on it?

I haven't seen a General brand name trailer tire in years. Can you let us know which model tire it is? It should be molded on the sidewall of the tire in big letters/numbers like the word "General".

Can you let us know the make/model of your trailer along with the year (to see if the tires are on a new trailer or may be older)......and also the tire size?

Thanks

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #7

Tires on my previous TT cupped after only 3000 mi. dealer found that the axles camber was bad, FR replaced both axles no cost (waranty had expired).

Ron & Barb
2004 GMC 2500
2010 Wildwood 29BHBS
wvfireboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Sorry everyone. It's a 2004 wildcat 28bh 5th wheel. I'm nearly positive that the tires all have a load range D stamp on them. I had the brake work done on the front left tire (tandem axle with 4 tires total). That's also the one with the cupping problem and is the tire that's rated at 2150# @50psi. The tread looks the same as the others (rated at like 2450#? @ 65psi. They look the same otherwise as well. I have no idea as to the age of the tires as we got it used this summer. The tires look good with no visible cracking and the tread depth looks good as well. Now that its been mentioned, I don't remember seeing any wheel weights on the rims but I don't think I've ever seen a balanced trailer wheel. I can't look at the trailer right now as we left it behind for a couple of weeks. It's halfway to our next destination which will have me pulling it about another 1800 miles before it comes home. I'm hoping it will handle that as I'll be on a pretty tight schedule on the next trip.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Murray,

I am still having trouble understanding why you have 3 of one kind of tire and one of another.

The fact that the solo tire is the one you are having issues with also is suspect.

My camper tires were spin balanced before I put them on.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #10

I also don't know why one is different. They all physically look the same and going off of advice I got on this very forum, I put the air pressure at the maximum cold psi of 65. This sounded good until I looked at the tire and noticed it was in trouble. While inspecting the tire I was reading the sidewall ans noticed this one tire is rated at less load bearing and less pressure. The spare on the back of the trailer is rated to 65psi and that is on the trailer now with the goofy tire being the spare. Would running a tire at 15psi to high cause this kind of trouble? The tires aren't new which leads me to believe that the previous owner didn't have trouble with it. I asked the place that did the brake work and they indicated that no part of what they did should have caused this.