Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #1

Tire date code question

I am going out this morning to get six new tires put on my new to me 2003 Silverado Dually. How old is too old when looking at the tire date code on a new set of tires?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I am going out this morning to get six new tires put on my new to me 2003 Silverado Dually. How old is too old when looking at the tire date code on a new set of tires?
Last 2 times I bought tires I told the salesman the "born on date" had to be within the last year or I wasn't interested.

I bought a used car once and later found out the tires on it were over 10 years old and even though they still had lots of tread left and looked okay, the research I did then indicated that any tire over 10 years old is probably unsafe and should be replaced. I went back to the dealer where I bought the car and got them to pay half of the cost to replace them.

If you put lots of miles on your tires every year, then buying an older tire probably won't matter because you will wear them out before they turn 10 years old. We only average 5,000 miles a year, so most of our tires would likely need replaced based on age before they are worn out.

Have fun shopping!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I would ask for tires made after Mar2014. 6 months max if at all possible.

Tags
tire