Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #1

Tire E versus D rating question?

Hi all,
I am sure this question has been answered like a million times here but even performing a search and reading some posts with similar sounding titles I don’t think I have gotten the answer I am looking for.
Our 2016 28-foot Sabre Lite lists the tires as ST225/75R15/D. We are looking to replace the tires but almost every dealer we talk to carries only ST225/75R15/E for our specs. I have read on some other forums that stepping up from D to E is fine as long as the tires are the same size, but I notice that the psi jumps from 65 to 80 between D to E. My question is should I be concerned about installing a set of E rated tires that our wheels/axles will not be able to handle the increased pressure? If yes is there a way to check whether they can?

Discount Tires is also really into suggesting their in-house Hartland brand. Secondary question: are they good? Specs seem comprable to Goodyear but they seem like they have very few reviews online.

Thanks in advance!
Paul & Ashley
HoppinTheMap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppinTheMap View Post
[...] My question is should I be concerned about installing a set of E rated tires that our wheels/axles will not be able to handle the increased pressure? [...]
Your axles won't care about pressure in tires, so scratch that off your list of worries. Wheels are rated to certain pressures. However, I've never seen a wheel rated to a pressure lower than the 80 psi limit of E-rated tires. Generally, pressure ratings of wheels is only relevant with pressure in the 100s of psi.

Going from D to E is a good move. At worst, it does no harm. At best, you get a stiffer, more capable tire.

Quote:
[...]Discount Tires is also really into suggesting their in-house Hartland brand. Secondary question: are they good? Specs seem comprable to Goodyear but they seem like they have very few reviews online.[...]
Tire quality is a hot button topic around here. You could spend the rest of the weekend doing nothing but reading about ST tire quality. Search "china bomb."

When I change my tires, it will be to the USA-made Goodyear Endurance tires. Maxxis has also had a fairly strong brand profile around here, regarding quality. I used Carlisle on my popup. But, Goodyear or a US-make equivalent will be my option when I get new tires.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the quick response!!
Old 01-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #4

I would absolutely recommend that you go up at least one weight rating whenever you replace trailer tires. Usually wheels have a stamped psi rating somewhere on them (possible near the hub, sometimes on the back side). But I would not be concerned that they could not handle the increased psi, 80 psi is not all that much and I have never seen a trailer wheel on a rig your size that wouldn't safely carry that much pressure. Trailer manufacturers put the cheapest tire they possibly can on them to save $$, so the very first upgrade anyone should consider is better and higher rated tires.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Grammar Pedant

Here is a picture of why tire quality is important. In this case, this wasn't due to poor quality, necessarily. This was due to me running a tire that was 7 or 8 years old and, I think, had been run underinflated by the previous owner. I also hit a major pothole in the freeway that did the damage.

Anyway, I should have changed this out 2 years earlier when I first bought the trailer. I didn't. What happened was that I lost that patch of tread, I drove at 60 mph this way for over 50 miles (unbeknownst), then pulled over and changed it.

What could have happened is that the entire tread could have separated (unwound) and whipped around inside my wheel well. This would have destroyed my side panel and cost $1,000s in damage. Or, it could have blown and I could have lost control of the trailer.

But this is why people change tires. They don't want these types of failures out on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1098.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	194442  

Old 01-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I went from 225/75/15-D to the same size E tires last spring.

I could feel the difference immediately the much better ride with the heavier duty tires.

I went with Hercules tires...got around 5000 miles on them and so far, so good!

Raised my 5'ver one inch, which saved me from having to lower my hitch as I was a little high in front on my 5'ver when hitched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerNewTires.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	194443  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
NH Maple Maker

Quote:
Hi all,
I am sure this question has been answered like a million times here but even performing a search and reading some posts with similar sounding titles I don’t think I have gotten the answer I am looking for.
Our 2016 28-foot Sabre Lite lists the tires as ST225/75R15/D. We are looking to replace the tires but almost every dealer we talk to carries only ST225/75R15/E for our specs. I have read on some other forums that stepping up from D to E is fine as long as the tires are the same size, but I notice that the psi jumps from 65 to 80 between D to E. My question is should I be concerned about installing a set of E rated tires that our wheels/axles will not be able to handle the increased pressure? If yes is there a way to check whether they can?

Discount Tires is also really into suggesting their in-house Hartland brand. Secondary question: are they good? Specs seem comprable to Goodyear but they seem like they have very few reviews online.

Thanks in advance!
Paul & Ashley
Going from a load range D to a load range E is pretty much what everyone does because it increases the max load that your trailer can carry. That is also why load range D tires are hard to find. The RV manufacturers put the lowest load range tire that they can on their RV's and sometimes that isn't even as much as the GVW of the RV. My TT has load range C tires on it and I'm going to replace them with load range D when I replace them.

I've never heard of the Heartland brand so I can't answer that question. The majority of people here are replacing their tires with Goodyear Endurance tires because they are made in the USA. So far the reviews have been good on them.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhd1997 View Post
Going from a load range D to a load range E is pretty much what everyone does because it increases the max load that your trailer can carry. [...]
No. Definitely not. The max load your trailer can carry is based on the frame, axles, and some other things. This weight is clearly listed on your ratings sticker you'll find on your trailer. Increasing tire load ratings does not increase the max load your trailer can carry. Your trailer's weight ratings do not change as you increase your tires' load ratings.

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhd1997 View Post

Going from a load range D to a load range E is pretty much what everyone does because it increases the max load that your trailer can carry.
What you really meant to say was that going to E-rated tires from D tires will carry the weight of the trailer better...

E-rated tires will not give the trailer more weight carrying capability.

The reason for this is that the RV makers put just enough tire to barely carry the load that the trailer and axles are rated for without giving any extra safety margin for tire strength.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #10

Good move to go from D to E tires of the same size. Yes your rims will handle the extra PSI 80# no problem.

Goodyear Endurance have been only out now about 2 years, but many have extolled their virtues including me... 5 years worth of usage will give a better picture of overall performance but so far so good.

Look online at Goodyear dot com as they sometimes advertise specials on those particular tires. You can order online and have them delivered to any goodyear dealer to have them fitted. YOU WILL NEED metal valve stems installed if your do not already have them on your rims. Usually about $4 a rim...

Many keep there old hardly used tires and sell them on craigslist for a few $$$.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #11

Wow so much great info! Glad we signed up for this forum! We just got our rig pre owned like new in August and hit the road in October for a year and still learning so much. You have all been such a huge help- thank you!

Paul & Ashley
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #12

Don't mistake Goodyear Marathon trailer tires for Goodyear Endurance trailer tires...

The Marathons have been discontinued due to being a China bomb tire!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #13

I went from a 225 75r 15D Transmasters (they were 9 years old) and replaced them with 225 75r 15E Maxxis and put in steel valve stems. The original tires were 65 psi and the maxxis could be ran at 65 or 80 psi at 65 psi the weight rating was the same as the originals 2150 and at 80 psi they were higher rated 2830. I noticed the difference right away as the trailer seems to track behind my truck better. The axles in my trailer are rated for 6000lbs each and the dry weight of the trailer is 8780lbs so the factory tires were running close when I was loaded for use at 11025lbs. now I feel that it is much safer because the tires are now more than my max. weight.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
NH Maple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
No. Definitely not. The max load your trailer can carry is based on the frame, axles, and some other things. This weight is clearly listed on your ratings sticker you'll find on your trailer. Increasing tire load ratings does not increase the max load your trailer can carry. Your trailer's weight ratings do not change as you increase your tires' load ratings.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
What you really meant to say was that going to E-rated tires from D tires will carry the weight of the trailer better...

E-rated tires will not give the trailer more weight carrying capability.

The reason for this is that the RV makers put just enough tire to barely carry the load that the trailer and axles are rated for without giving any extra safety margin for tire strength.
You are both right. What I was trying to say is what JohnD10 said.

I guess I shouldn't have replied to this thread after working six days and then drinking six beers!

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #15

Just to let you all know. Last July I replaced all of my tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. Yesterday I was on I-95 and the tire minder said the right front tire low. Stopped and checked it and it was showing 52 lbs. Aired it up to match the other three and got back on I-95. Three miles later I had a blowout. Got to check on the tire insurance I added at the time of purchase.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Just to let you all know. Last July I replaced all of my tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. Yesterday I was on I-95 and the tire minder said the right front tire low. Stopped and checked it and it was showing 52 lbs. Aired it up to match the other three and got back on I-95. Three miles later I had a blowout. Got to check on the tire insurance I added at the time of purchase.
Did you check the tire for a nail or other road damage before airing it back up?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

You might need different valve stems to handle the extra pressure. I'd recommend metal stems in case you want to ever do a tire pressure monitoring system.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Did you check the tire for a nail or other road damage before airing it back up?
Yes I checked the outside and tread area but not the inside wall. Wondering if it had a bubble on it. At least it didn't tear half the side off the unit.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #19

Another benefit, in my case anyway, is potential better fuel mileage. I replaced my OEM ST235/80 R16/ E rated tires with ST235/85 R16 Load range G (14 ply rating) 110max psi.
Not only did I increase my weight carrying safety margin for the tires (these are rated at 4400 lbs each) but my fuel mileage increased, on the same trips, from 10.5 mpg to nearly 12 mpg. a better than 10% increase.

These tire were so stiff and heavy that it took two tire techs and a good machine to get them mounted. I don't expect to ever need another trailer tire on this camper.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Paul & Ashley
Way. Get rid of D go to E. But don't let tire guy sell you some house brand or no name brand probably made in China just like the junk it came on your trailer tires. Carlisle Es Great for me on your own training and enjoying the insurance on the new trailer . Both are heavy duty tires both are so much better than what they sold on the trailer.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire