Old 07-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
What is going on, now I went to a Goodyear store and was told the same thing. The tire lbs has to be the same or lower than the rim rating. They even have this listed on their web site, under ratings. Goodyearrvtires.com. The guy told me it was because of all the tire failures on TT of late. This really limits what tires I can use and forces me to LT tires which are 3042lbs, which to me seems tight to the max 3k lbs of weight each tire should see on my unit. Going crazy.
Are you going in asking the questions or just going in and saying I want such and such tires mounted, balanced, etc.? I have never had any tire dealer even question rims or pressures, etc.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, a different perspective. Should the tech refuse to mount a 3450 lb rated tire on a 3200 lb rated rim and mount on a 3000 lbs (per side) axle.

In terms of load, the axles are the limiting factor.

Interesting...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #13

Herk I don't see were your wrong, and as Dave said in this case the limiting factor of the three things (tires, rim, axle) is the axle so I don't understand why there is an issue with putting a tire on that gives you more margin. Also since the OEM tire and the new tire are both rated at 80 psi, I would hope the OEM rim is aslo rated for 80 psi. so there should be no problem with pressure.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Ah, a different perspective. Should the tech refuse to mount a 3450 lb rated tire on a 3200 lb rated rim and mount on a 3000 lbs (per side) axle.

In terms of load, the axles are the limiting factor.

Interesting...

Dave
That's what I am saying. There is no way those tires will ever see their rated load and no way the rims will either. My Goodyear dealer never even blinked when I put D rated tires on my C required camper's rims.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I am concerned that the problem is apples and oranges.

When talking about PRESSURE (PSI) the rim must be rated for the maximum pressure you plan on running the tire at.

If you have a tire you plan to inflate to 65 PSI; the rim must be rated to 65 PSI OR MORE.

If you have a tire that is rated at 3200 pounds of LOAD and the rim is stamped 3000 pounds and the camper weight PER WHEEL is 2800 pounds I have NO idea what their problem is. The Load is well below the limits of the tire and rim. You can also run the tire at a reduced PSI (compared to max) as long as you are correct pressure for the actual load on the tire/rim.

PLEASE someone explain what I am getting wrong?
You don't have anything wrong. The axles are certified (GAWR) to meet the specifications of the trailer/5er/RV. The sum of the load carrying capacities of the rims on an axle must at least meet the GAWR. The carrying capacity of the tires must do the same, at the recommended inflation pressure for the GAWR, so that you don't cause problems by overinflating. Kind of makes your wonder, doesn't it?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #16

Ok, let me answer a few questions and update this. First, what I had done was try to select a tire and match the delivered specs, same as I would for a car (sticker on the door) yellow sticker on my camper. OEM tires were ST235/80R16 inflated to 80psi. That according to the tire OEM stamp is 3520lbs. So I asked the tire store to sell me tires and inflate them to 80psi the selected tire at 80psi exceeded the 3200lbs rim stamping As did the original OEM tire. The first store told me that they would not put that tire on rim, second basically the same. The third now will put the tire on but will not inflate the tire past 72psi which equates to 3200lbs according to the tire mfg load sheet.
Seems to me that a change is afloat, if my rims were stamped with a psi instead of 3200lbs I do not think any of this would have come up.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
if my rims were stamped with a psi instead of 3200lbs I do not think any of this would have come up.
I think you are right...

Feel free to bring them up to 80 PSI if you need to.
Your axles won't be loaded anywhere near a weight that will require it though.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #18

I suppose it's a liability thing - the tires (which the shop is selling/installing) is rated above the rim and they're afraid you'll load the trailer up and the rim will fail first.

I'd imagine the overiding idea is the tire is supposed to fail before the rim, and putting a heavier tire on there will be an issue.

I've never head of anyone caring or looking...ever. The only thing I've run into is they don't want to sell you tired too small (although they apparently did that on my van at some point in the past without telling me- error on what they grabbed off the shelf perhaps?). 30k miles later and no issues...

So what happens if you take your , say, F150 rims/truck in and ask for a Load Range E LT tires (which can run 80psi) as a replacement for the P-metric 'car' tires that come stock on the truck? Would the tire dealer still be as persnickety?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote