Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #1

Tire Failures and Upgrading.

I have heard several conflicting ideas on the issue of upgrading tires particuluarly about running at the higher psi an upgrade tire would require and wheel failures, so I thought I would get some clarification from my wheel manufacturer HWT.

2 months ago I had blow outs with my C rated tires load rated at 2150 lbs, I will post about the reason for this when I have given my dealer, RVW< a chance to rectify the situation. So I replaced all four with 10 ply E rated tires 2830 lbs at 80psi. My Aluminum wheels are stamped on the inside with a max load rating of 2830lbs, (no mention of psi). So I contacted HWT who stated that a tire can be lower than or matched to the wheel rating but not higher. They also confirmed that the issue with psi is only that the valve should be a type that can cope with the higher psi involved.

If you want to upgrade to E rated tires and your wheels are only rated at say 2150 lbs then you would have to buy new wheels or stick with C rated.

My spare wheel (which is steel), is only rated to 2150lbs and has a C rated tire on it, I will stay with that as it is only going to be used in an emergency.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 AM   #2

What if you buy e rated tires and put them on 2830# rated wheels but the max.weight you are putting on them is say 2000# why would you need to buy new rims.if you were going to sell it one day than yes it would be wrong to do,the new owner could exceed the rim max. Weight rating.please let me know what the dealer says.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb7811 View Post
What if you buy e rated tires and put them on 2830# rated wheels but the max.weight you are putting on them is say 2000# why would you need to buy new rims.if you were going to sell it one day than yes it would be wrong to do,the new owner could exceed the rim max. Weight rating.please let me know what the dealer says.
Sorry dtb7811, I don't understand your question or the point you make. I will try.

In your example above, if you put E rated tires on rims rated at 2830, then you haver a good match and if you only load that tire with 2000 lbs then you have no problems, no need to change anything.

If you loaded the tire with say 3000 lbs then you do have a problem, you would have to buy new rims and tires, but at this stage you could need new axles too and most probably be exceeding the GVWR and what the trailer was built for.

Hope this answers your question.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

Yes,that answers my question.Clears up what I was thinking.thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Nigel talked me into it!

After a P/M with Nigel about his factory tires from China with ("NO NAME) tires, I upgraded to the Good Year Marathons load range "D". had the tires installed yesterday.

Nigel, I didn't quite think I would need the "E" rated tires. I don't haul the liquor you do (maybe half)

Anyway, thanks for the info on the upgrade.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote