Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #1

tire gauges

There is a 3 and 4 lb difference between my Milton truck stick gauge and my TST sensors. Which would you say are more accurate?
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
There is a 3 and 4 lb difference between my Milton truck stick gauge and my TST sensors. Which would you say are more accurate?
I'd have to test your Milton truck stick gauge before I could offer an opinion.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

Without having a way to test either, I would go with the measuring device that showed the lowest pressure. That way you are assured to err on the side of having a pound or 4 high, rather than a pound or 4 low.

Always better to have the pressure a bit too high rather than too low.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Think the key here is the difference between a gauge and a monitor.

The gauge is an instantaneous reading of a static pressure while the monitor is a continuous check primarily looking for changes. This is a somewhat simplified explanation, but the value of the TPMS is to alert you of any unwanted ( alarms ) changes in the readings. The values read by a TPMS will continually change with speed, road surface and exposure to sun all of which are normal. What you are really looking for is any unusual change from normal or the other tires. I set my pressure with a good tire gauge and the TPMS does not always agree, but are close enough to use as acceptable.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Think the key here is the difference between a gauge and a monitor.

The gauge is an instantaneous reading of a static pressure while the monitor is a continuous check primarily looking for changes. This is a somewhat simplified explanation, but the value of the TPMS is to alert you of any unwanted ( alarms ) changes in the readings. The values read by a TPMS will continually change with speed, road surface and exposure to sun all of which are normal. What you are really looking for is any unusual change from normal or the other tires. I set my pressure with a good tire gauge and the TPMS does not always agree, but are close enough to use as acceptable.
^^THIS^^

I really don't care if my TPMS is spot on with my tested tire gauge. (2 Lb. lower difference) The TPMS pressure is just a reference and that is what I use it for but I have found I check the pressures less often with my gauge.

If I get in the TV and fire up the TPMS and all are where they need to be (referenced from the gauge) and within a pound or so of each other, we set sail.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Always Learning

I swear I read something that said the cheapest of digital gauges is more accurate then stick gauges. But I can't find the link to where I read it so it's just memory/hearsay.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #7

re

Yes, but Milton is a good old made in USA buy In US company, been around a hunred years probably.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #8

I am old school and I do not trust any TPMS for tires at all. The only time they really work is after the fact and the tire has a flat already.

I use a tire gauge and check my tires on all of my vehicles with the same tire gauge.
For my trailer I check every morning when we start out for that's day drive with a tire gauge and also manually inspect the tires for bulges and low air pressure. I also spot check my lug nut torque on each wheel. At every rest stop (about 2 hours) I check the tires with an IFR gun along with the wheel hub bearing and brakes. I am looking for abnormality in temperatures between each component on the same side.

In 10 years of towing I only had one tire failure, a catastrophic failure that no monitor would have caught. I had just left the campground and entered I80 getting up to speed that's when the tire failed after 5 mins of total time on the road. I think it was road debris that caused the tire to fail. No other tires on that camper failed for the rest of the trip.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
The only time they really work is after the fact and the tire has a flat already.
I've had personal experience that says otherwise.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #10

I check my tire pressure every morning. I also have a TPMS on the trailer. I would like to know about a tire that is going down before it shreds the side of my TT. If the alarm goes off and tells me that I am losing pressure, I am pulling over as fast as is safely possible. Just checking pressure in the morning and when convenient isn't enough.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've had personal experience that says otherwise.
X2...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #12

Taks a look at an accu-gage by G.H. Meiser. Like most instruments you get what you pay, but these seem to offer a good value for truck trailer applications..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #13

I would believe the one that has 'Made in the USA' on it
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #14

I use a digital gauge to check my tires, about once a season. My digital gauge is within a couple of pounds of TST 507. Do whatever makes you feel safe, the TST has alerted me to several tires going flat. I depend on my TPMS
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I swear I read something that said the cheapest of digital gauges is more accurate then stick gauges. But I can't find the link to where I read it so it's just memory/hearsay.
I cannot find the thread either. I remember the thread referenced a retired long term tire engineer from one of the “big” tire co’s. He posted this gage as the one he trusted: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one because it was $10 and the Ashcroft dial gage i’ve had for years failed right before a trip (the hose started leaking).

If you truly want to know you are accurate, find a calibration lab and get it checked to NIST standards. Then keep that one in a safe place to compare your other gages ro.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #16
Jayhawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Taks a look at an accu-gage by G.H. Meiser. Like most instruments you get what you pay, but these seem to offer a good value for truck trailer applications..
I bought an Accu-Gage when I got out of the Navy in 1969. Still have it and it is still accurate. Had to buy a 100 psi one for the travel trailer, the old one only went up to 60 psi. G.H. Meiser & Co. has been in business since 1906.
Attached Images

Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire