Old 06-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
...I was hoping I could make it to my upcoming destination to see what we can find, but ideally would like to make it home and have it taken care of, but that's another 600 or so miles.
If it were me, I would not try to make the entire 600 miles in one shot if at all possible. The constant heat and no doubt unbalance of the tires will aggravate the situation if it is a defect. When you get new tires, definitely insist they balance them.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
To my hands it feels like a indentation on the back side and a bulge on the outside.
That's where I'm having a problem. In my experience, it should about feel the same on both sidewalls, if it's undulation. It's possible that the cord ply are broke at the same spot where there is undulation........which is why you have a bulge on one sidewall and an indentation on the opposite.

To make sure we are clear on where you should check the opposite sidewall at, I made this pic. The red oval is the assumed undulation. The arrows point to where you should check on both sidewalls for matching characteristics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiger-paw-awp-ii.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	32664  

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it were me, I would not try to make the entire 600 miles in one shot if at all possible. The constant heat and no doubt unbalance of the tires will aggravate the situation if it is a defect. When you get new tires, definitely insist they balance them.
It would be about 200 or so miles each day for 3 days. I know it is not ideal, but it would be best for me and my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That's where I'm having a problem. In my experience, it should about feel the same on both sidewalls, if it's undulation. It's possible that the cord ply are broke at the same spot where there is undulation........which is why you have a bulge on one sidewall and an indentation on the opposite.

To make sure we are clear on where you should check the opposite sidewall at, I made this pic. The red oval is the assumed undulation. The arrows point to where you should check on both sidewalls for matching characteristics.
I checked exactly as you indicated on the graphic. I'll check again in the morning to be sure and post back.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #14

Sorry for the late reply, but looked at it again this morning and it felt the same as before. Still not sure if it is a bulge or indentation. Ether way, took a chance and we made it to our destination today and there appears to be no change in the mark. I'll keep an eye on it and plan to replace them when I return home.

Thank you all for your help! This forum is the best!