Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Tire Help

Hello All,

In calling on your infinite wisdom about tires. I have trail express tires that came on my Coachmen travel trailer that is a 2012 that I purchased in Feb of 2012. The tires have a date code of 15/11 and are of the Trail Express variety. They have somewhere between 7/9k miles on them and we plan to put another 3k or so miles on them in the next month and a half. Having read all the stories about them I have become concerned after seeing the bulge shown below directly over the letter "T". Is the small bulge indicative of a forth coming tire failure?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	32642  
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Always Learning

I'm having a hard time seeing the bulge- but I certainly wouldn't continue driving on it once finding a defect.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
Hello All,

Is the small bulge indicative of a forth coming tire failure?

Thanks in advance for your help!
If it is a bulge, then it has broke cords, and will fail with an eventual blowout at that spot. Replace it.

It's hard to see from the pic if it is an actual bulge or possibly an indentation. If it's an indentation in the center, then it's what we call undulation in the tire business. Undulation is in simple terms where the body cords overlap each other. Because of overlapping cords, the area is actually stronger than other places in the tire. You may see undulation in one place on the sidewall or several.

The easiest way to tell the difference between broke cords or undulation on a radial tire....is to feel in the exact same place on the opposite sidewall of the tire. If you have another indentation, then it's undulation...and nothing to worry about.

HOWEVER, if there is nothing like it on the opposite sidewall (which would be the inner sidewall, from your pic), and it's a bulge, then it's a broke cord......and you need to get it off ASAP. All you have holding the tire together at that point now is the rubber, which will succumb to the air pressure and load. It can blow apart just sitting there.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

A lot of tires will have a slight depression in the sidewalls, but there is definitely a bulge in this one. If it were me I would replace all of them before starting on any trip other than to a tire shop. I would strongly suggest either GY Marathons the next higher load range or a Maxxis. IMO, you are taking a big gamble by leaving them on. If one blows, you will not doubt sustain damage to the trailer and still have to buy new tires. Ask me how I know. $1800 damage + $600+ for tires on the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tire Damage 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	32643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Damage 4.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	32644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Damage 2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	32645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Damage 3.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	32646  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
DDC

If I found that on my tire it would not be on the road it's an appointment with disaster but it's your call.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing the bulge- but I certainly wouldn't continue driving on it once finding a defect.
I was afraid of that . . . It is where the dirt mark is directly above the "T" in tubeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If it is a bulge, then it has broke cords, and will fail with an eventual blowout at that spot. Replace it.

It's hard to see from the pic if it is an actual bulge or possibly an indentation. If it's an indentation in the center, then it's what we call undulation in the tire business. Undulation is in simple terms where the body cords overlap each other, Because of overlapping cords, then area is actually stronger than other places in the tire. You may see undulation in one place on the sidewall or several.

The easiest way to tell the difference between broke cords or undulation on a radial tire....is to feel in the exact same place on the opposite sidewall of the tire. If you have another indentation, then it's undulation...and nothing to worry about.

HOWEVER, it there is nothing like it on the opposite sidewall (which would be the inner sidewall, from your pic), and it's a bulge, then it's a broke cord......and you need to get it off ASAP.
Thanks for the detailed response. I just checked the other side and had my wife check too. There is a indentation on the back side and a bulge on the front at about the same location. So this is good news??
Old 06-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed response. I just checked the other side and had my wife check too. There is a indentation on the back side and a bulge on the front at about the same location. So this is good news??
Not sure, both sides should feel the same. You will notice a slight bulge on each side (left and right) of the indentation..............with the indentation in the middle.

Can you possible take others pic from other angle.......cause it sure appears to be broke cords, but that's what makes it difficult to judge from a computer....and why I suggested it could be undulation....as we have many customers a week who come in thinking it's a broke cord.

I don't want to give you a false sense of security, without being sure it's undulation

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
A lot of tires will have a slight depression in the sidewalls, but there is definitely a bulge in this one. If it were me I would replace all of them before starting on any trip other than to a tire shop. I would strongly suggest either GY Marathons the next higher load range or a Maxxis. IMO, you are taking a big gamble by leaving them on. If one blows, you will not doubt sustain damage to the trailer and still have to buy new tires. Ask me how I know. $1800 damage + $600+ for tires on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
If I found that on my tire it would not be on the road it's an appointment with disaster but it's your call.
Thank You both for your responses.

I guess I should mention that I am currently on the road. I didn't notice the bulge till a couple days ago after arriving at our current location. We are leaving tomorrow for another destination for a few days and then well be working our way back home for a brief break. Then hit the road again for several weeks.

At this point I plan on calling around at my upcoming destination to see what we can find, but ideally would like to make it home and have it taken care of, but that's another 600 or so miles.

Look forward to hearing what Wmtire says to my response above.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
but that's another 600 or so miles.

Look forward to hearing what Wmtire says to my response above.
I answered as you were probably typing. Here are a few more articles with pics that may help;

http://us.coopertire.com/CooperTires...ulletin_54.pdf

tire sidewall undulation | tires-easy-blog

Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Not sure, both sides should feel the same. You will notice a slight bulge on each side (left and right) of the indentation..............with the indentation in the middle.

Can you possible take others pic from other angle.......cause it sure appears to be broke cords, but that's what makes it difficult to judge from a computer....and why I suggested it could be undulation....as we have many customers a week who come in thinking it's a broke cord.

I don't want to give you a false sense of security, without being sure it's undulation
It is dark now so no go on the pictures . . . I guess I should mention that I am currently on the road. I didn't notice the bulge till a couple days ago after arriving at our current location. We are leaving tomorrow for another destination for a few days and then well be working our way back home for a brief break. Then hit the road again for several weeks.

To my hands it feels like a indentation on the back side and a bulge on the outside.

I was hoping I could make it to my upcoming destination to see what we can find, but ideally would like to make it home and have it taken care of, but that's another 600 or so miles.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...I was hoping I could make it to my upcoming destination to see what we can find, but ideally would like to make it home and have it taken care of, but that's another 600 or so miles.
If it were me, I would not try to make the entire 600 miles in one shot if at all possible. The constant heat and no doubt unbalance of the tires will aggravate the situation if it is a defect. When you get new tires, definitely insist they balance them.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
To my hands it feels like a indentation on the back side and a bulge on the outside.
That's where I'm having a problem. In my experience, it should about feel the same on both sidewalls, if it's undulation. It's possible that the cord ply are broke at the same spot where there is undulation........which is why you have a bulge on one sidewall and an indentation on the opposite.

To make sure we are clear on where you should check the opposite sidewall at, I made this pic. The red oval is the assumed undulation. The arrows point to where you should check on both sidewalls for matching characteristics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tiger-paw-awp-ii.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	32664  

Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it were me, I would not try to make the entire 600 miles in one shot if at all possible. The constant heat and no doubt unbalance of the tires will aggravate the situation if it is a defect. When you get new tires, definitely insist they balance them.
It would be about 200 or so miles each day for 3 days. I know it is not ideal, but it would be best for me and my family.

Quote:
That's where I'm having a problem. In my experience, it should about feel the same on both sidewalls, if it's undulation. It's possible that the cord ply are broke at the same spot where there is undulation........which is why you have a bulge on one sidewall and an indentation on the opposite.

To make sure we are clear on where you should check the opposite sidewall at, I made this pic. The red oval is the assumed undulation. The arrows point to where you should check on both sidewalls for matching characteristics.
I checked exactly as you indicated on the graphic. I'll check again in the morning to be sure and post back.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

Sorry for the late reply, but looked at it again this morning and it felt the same as before. Still not sure if it is a bulge or indentation. Ether way, took a chance and we made it to our destination today and there appears to be no change in the mark. I'll keep an eye on it and plan to replace them when I return home.

Thank you all for your help! This forum is the best!