Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #51
Denver, CO

Good point.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #52
daydreaming about camping

I want to offer a counter opinion. It is just that, my opinion.

I tend to believe that one reason trailer tire fail at a higher rate than passenger car tires is the extreme sidewall stress that tight turns put on tandem axle trailers. When you make a very sharp turn (backing into a parking spot at your storage lot for example), take a look at the tires in an extreme turn. The leading tire will be leaning one way, the trailing will be leaning the opposite direction. The amount of flex is determined by the sidewall strength, which is in turn effected by the load on the tires. That flex is saving your axles from bending/breaking.

I have come across this with boat trailers. You get to see the effect of a loaded vs unloaded boat trailer, unloaded it will simply drag the second axle scrubbing the tires and pivoting on the lead axle. loaded it cannot.

Many people in the boat world wanted their boat trailer to match their shiny Esclades and Denalis. They went to taller wheels and lower profile tires, which meant less sidewall flex. And they started having problems with bent axles and broken spindles (torsien axles anyway.)

I prefer to have what seems like a good balance. Your trailer weight as calculated by Herk are smack in the middle of load range D. They do offer load range E tires in the 15 inch size your trailer was supposed to come with.

I am just pointing out that a tire with less sidewall flex puts more pressure on other components. If I were in your shoes I think the ride height would be more important to me, but that is because I hate how high my trailer sits.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #53
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I am just pointing out that a tire with less sidewall flex puts more pressure on other components.
And thus the case for ST tires over LT in trailer applications; they are designed from the ground up with that stress in mind.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #54

Where is this yellow sticker you speak of. I have a 2003 Sierra 5th wheel 27 RLSS.
This has 15" 6 hole alloy wheels and e-rated Carlise tires. So back to the yellow tag, would this trailer have come with e-rated tires?
Gross weight 12080, dry 8570 lbs

2003 Sierra 27 RLSS
going_postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #55
Site Team - Lou

There should be a sticker on the side of the camper with the tire size and air pressure required for your camper. Mine has yellow highlights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacked out.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	24283  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #56

I do not see this sticker on the trailer, not on the outside anyway, will check compartments later when feeling better, just had minor surgery.

2003 Sierra 27 RLSS
going_postal is offline   Reply With Quote