Old 06-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #1

Unhappy Tire issue

This weekend we went camping for the first time this season in our 2012 Flagstaff fifth wheel. On the way home we had people pass by us and told us that we had a flat tire on the camper. The back passenger side tire was badly shredded but thankfully the rim and the camper were not damaged. We never heard it blow or felt any difference in the handling or riding in the truck. We have traveled less than 12,000 miles and keep them covered in the winter plus parked on boards. The tires are Trail Express Power Towing tires with nitrogen. Has anyone else experienced issues with these tires lately? I did read some older negative posts about these tires.

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitcher View Post
This weekend we went camping for the first time this season in our 2012 Flagstaff fifth wheel. On the way home we had people pass by us and told us that we had a flat tire on the camper. The back passenger side tire was badly shredded but thankfully the rim and the camper were not damaged. We never heard it blow or felt any difference in the handling or riding in the truck. We have traveled less than 12,000 miles and keep them covered in the winter plus parked on boards. The tires are Trail Express Power Towing tires with nitrogen. Has anyone else experienced issues with these tires lately? I did read some older negative posts about these tires.

Thanks.
I don't think there is anything to say but your lucky as I was. Trail Express are garbage. Mine lasted 6000 miles before the samething happened. Change all 4 with something better. I put GY on and I'm happy had them on all my trailers, Maxxis is also popular.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #3

Here's all the good, the bad and very bad about Trail Express tires......I used to have them, had one blow out and changed all tires to GoodYear Marathon

https://www.google.ca/search?q=trail...LIeayQShlIOIDw
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have them on mine and no issues as yet but the first sign of trouble they will be gone!! (We don't take long trips...this current trip is 80 miles from home and the longest we've taken Rocky so far.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
I have them on mine and no issues as yet but the first sign of trouble they will be gone!! (We don't take long trips...this current trip is 80 miles from home and the longest we've taken Rocky so far.)
You must be lucky in Vegas too!
Old 06-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

We had the exact same thing happen. Took our 2013 out last spring for the first trip of the year. 15 miles down the road a passing truck let us know we had a flat - I couldn't see it or feel it. Sure enough, a Trail Express tire had a 360 degree tread separation. Because the belt was still intact, it didn't take out anything on the trailer.

AAA got there and changed it in less than 30 minutes. No obvious signs of a road hazard and we had only gone a few miles. Dealer showed it to FR and they did warranty it out of goodwill - with an Akuret.

While getting that fixed I noticed a nail in another tire, and the dealer said it wasn't repairable and put on a Hi-Run. And to top it of, the plastic valve stems on the 3 remaining Trail Express tires (2 on the trailer plus the spare) were cracked. FR also replaced those under warranty.

But, that hot mess of 3 brands and replacement valve stems didn't seem like a good way to travel. We have 14" LR C's, so the only upgrade I could find were LR D Kumho 857's. Went with those over GY Marathon or Maxxis LR C's and bought a TST TPMS. Like you, I had no idea one tire was gone, which was the scariest part of the whole deal. So I am not going anywhere without the pressure monitoring system. Based on all the positive comments on this site, I went with the TST sytem bought directly from them on their website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140528_193206_984.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	78706  

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

Depending on the weight of your trailer and tire size you could run Michlen XPS Ribs tires. They are an all position tire. Which means they can be used on your trailer as a tow tire. I ran them for over 20,000 miles with no issues on my old trailer. I bought them new in 2011 and traded the trailer with them on this May, still looking new and about 80% of the tread left on them. These are a 16" size tire and E rated.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:

I wouldn't wait to long Rick, those are nothing but Garbage. Lionhead wanted me to send the bad tire to them before they would replace it. What are they nuts. I put the spear on and went directly to GY and put 4 "D" rated on. GY is all over the USA and stand behind there tires. Kinda of hard to find a Maxxis dealer.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I wouldn't wait to long Rick, those are nothing but Garbage. Lionhead wanted me to send the bad tire to them before they would replace it. What are they nuts. I put the spear on and went directly to GY and put 4 "D" rated on. GY is all over the USA and stand behind there tires. Kinda of hard to find a Maxxis dealer.

Yea, I probably will change them with GY later in the summer...I'll keep an eye on factory rebates or deals at my local Discount Tire shop.

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Yea, I probably will change them with GY later in the summer...I'll keep an eye on factory rebates or deals at my local Discount Tire shop.

Also invest in a tire monitoring system. Great piece of mind

Tags
tire