Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

tire issues

Good afternoon all. I have a 2011 Rockwood camper model 2317G. On the way back from New York State in July, we had a tire blow on a major highway. Assisted by a tire man driving by, we put the spare on but he stated that the C range tires were too small for this trailer as it weighed 3314 gross. The tires were rated for 1480 each. I took side roads home driving with white knuckles but made it. I started calling around and spoke to the National Highway Traffic Safety admin in Washington, 3 tire stores and searched the www. The tires were right on the max for this trailer but no doubt at or over the limit on the drivers side as this trailer has a dinette slide. I called Forest River left a message and also my dealer in Owen Sound Ontario, Canada. My dealer was useless and told me to take them to an authorized dealer. They also said that FR wont call me back but FR did. I spoke about the weights, the slide and the info from tire reps. FR sent me 3 new D range tires and rims. FR made arrangements for another dealer. I drove up , 45 miles white knuckles again and they watched me pull in and said I was lucky as the right tires belts were broken. Tires changed. Got home and continued researching this issue. Well the VIN placards and door sticker were wrong stating 65 psi. They should only have 50. I contacted Transport Canada and they initiated an investigation for both issues. Last week, FR sent me new placards for the trailer for the original tires. PLEASE ensure you match the tire psi and NOT the placards.
THANK YOU TO FOREST RIVER.
Take care and happy camping.
prh5669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Load Range C tires are 50psi. Load range D tires are 65 psi. So you may have had the right placard but the wrong tires!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #3

I have a 2011 Windjammer and noted the same thing that the placard on the trailer gave a rating of 65psi for the tires, But the tires are rated at 50psi. I had flat while one one of my tires while parked. The tire had a bubble on the tread. I called the dealer and was told that the tire manufacturer was responsible for the warrantee. When I tried to find the manufacturer of the Trail Express tires I could not.
I replaced the tire with another brand which was rated at 65psi for the maximum
load. This tire is a D rated tire while the one that came on the camper was C rated.
fastedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

tires

thanks for the info. Although FR sent me new D range including a spare, I am going to pick up 2 new D range tires from Lowes in Brampton, Ontario Canada for $108 each with rims. I am a nervous guy and dont want to get caught short. With our F150 Super Crew, we have room in the box.

HAPPY CAMPING
prh5669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
DDC

This has me wondering now I just picked up a new SV264 and it has towmax str st205/75r14 load range C tires with a dry weight of 5000lbs.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote