Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #21

http://www.dawsengineering.com/linke...ducedloads.pdf

In this article of an American J.C.Daws , he explaines a new way of calculating, and compares it to the old power-formula and its diferent used powers in America and Europe. A stiffer tire in his formula ( G-load stiffer then E-load ), has a smaller construction load ( my word for the load that is bare at zero pressure) then a less stiffer tire .
So in his calculation a stiffer tire needs a higher pressure for the same load then a less stiff tire.
So there are 2 things that are wrong, first is the power used in America of 0,7 , while in Europe it is 0,8 , and he even advices 0,9 to 0,95 for for tires with high maxloadpressure ( referencepressure). Second is that every maxload/referencepressure combination needs a seperate calculation.
Hover over this article and search for the conclusions and the endconclusion.
The first formulas I dont understand too.

I even concluded my own formula , wich is a combination of the "Daws"formula and the old Power-formula, and use that now in my spreadsheets.
You can also read my article about it, in wich I compare the different calculations , but I admit that I am not an authority in this field, Yust got interested in it and searched it out. But if you read it , and use your own technical intuition , you will come to the same conclusion.
My article "proveofwrongcalculation"can be found in the "all about tire pressure"map on my skydrive. wich I made to support my mail-discussion with Mr. Daws.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a526e0eee092e6dc#cid=A526E0EEE092E6DC&id=A526 E0EEE092E6DC%21601
you see that my tire-pressure interest has gotten a bit out of hand, but I discovered much more about tiresload and pressure, there is more wrong in the tire-business. But one thing at the time.
First this use of lists that lead to tire damage out of the world.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchooker View Post
Staying with the factory size would be ideal, however, Finding a 14" tire in load range D, is much more difficult, and looks to be non existant in Canada, whereas the 15" tires are much easier to find.
Here's a LR D 14" tire.

RADIAL 857 - Kumho Tire USA, Inc.

Here is where I bought mine.

Kumho*Radial 857

If you order, be careful to check the circumference of the tire. I had 205/75/14 Marathons that were replaced by 195/82/14 Kumho's to get the same circumference. The tires have a different aspect ratio. Overall, I got quite a bit more capacity. Another advantage is 99 mph speed rating; not that you are going to tow that fast.

Also remember to consider the maximum pressure for your rims. You will also have to go to steel valve stems.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #23

205/75/14 (1760lbs -800lbs TW) is what I currently have, I really like Kumho, the tread pattern looks very robust, and the ideal replacement, but shipping them to Canada makes it rather cost prohibitive ($170 shipping plus taxes (,levies and possibly brokerage fees) and then mounting on top of that.

the steel stems are a given regardless, Good advise all around! Thanks for the tip on the aspect ratio!
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote