Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Tire Monitor

I'm looking to get a tire monitoring system and am looking for some recommendations. I see several types on the market and am wondering what others on the forum have and what they think on them.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Although I have no real time experience but based on what I have read over the past 2 years I plan to get this when I get a new 5er.

My problem is I can't find a 5er I want to buy and have looked at all of them...
The only one I really like is the cardinal and would have bought it but it's too heavy at 13000 lbs dry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394645456.252119.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	47587
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #3

I was looking at those on Camping World web, thing that turned me off on these is the sensor's seem pretty large? I have a 24' Solera and a tow dolly. I kind of liked the look of the tireminder system myself but wanted to get some feed back first.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #4

We bought the TST 507 about a year ago and have been very happy with it. The batteries on the individual tire sensors are replaceable, although I have not had to replace mine yet.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #5

IMHO stay away from camping World - they are way overpriced.

We bought ours from TST Trucking in GA:
TST 507 Flow Thru |TST Trucking Systems

The customer service is fabulous (when we ordered they offered to set everything up so all we had to do was screw them into the valves!)

Great price, great customer service and for us a "local" merchant
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #6

Had the TireMinder system for 2 years. Started have trouble with dropped signal and sensors. Have the TST system now. The charger pin on the TST broke the first time used.

The TireMinder is easier to see in the day time.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I was looking at those on Camping World web, thing that turned me off on these is the sensor's seem pretty large? I have a 24' Solera and a tow dolly. I kind of liked the look of the tireminder system myself but wanted to get some feed back first.
I think that most go with TST system that what I got and swore I wouldn't ever buy them. I wish I could remember the post last month we went through this and the best price. We even posted the weight of the sensors. I forgot who it was but he got the TST 6 sensors and I think it was under $300.00 bucks. There are deals out there you just have to search. You can get the screw on type which are lighter and works with rubber stems, or the blow through which weight more and need brass high pressure stems. Would I buy them again probably not. But I did and glad now that decision is now over. TST makes a 507 that use's a regular watch battery that you need to change yearly the 510 system has a 5 year battery in them. I was shocked what that one member payed for a 6 sensor system. Replacement sensors sell for $100.00 a pair. Do a search on this forum, we had a good debate on them. I paid $220 for the blow through makes it easier to fill the tire but cost me $40.00 bucks to add the brass stems. But in my opinion and research done the TST is I think the best but they all work the same. If your unit is over 60' you will need a repeater also which is extra, but I was like 80' from my unit and it was on and it picked up the sensors. So if you need the repeater try it first and if it won't you can always order one..... Trailers are like boats you just keep pouring money into them.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster30 View Post
Had the TireMinder system for 2 years. Started have trouble with dropped signal and sensors. Have the TST system now. The charger pin on the TST broke the first time used.

Vinster, Call TST - I am positive they will replace your unit with no questions asked - they really are customer focused
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #9

If you looking for a 5er wait for the new Wildcats. They are coming out with a new design. The rep posted that it will be like Xmas to everyone. They are listening to what the people here wanted and I guess the Factory agreed. Can't wait to see the new model from our suggestions.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #10

Damnit! We just got our new 5er a few months ago LOL

(s'OK - I stripped all the mods from my old TT + weekend puttering, not sure WHAT they could add to a 5er that would interest me...unless they have a antigrav unit that boosts MPG to 35
Old 03-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
We bought the TST 507 about a year ago and have been very happy with it. The batteries on the individual tire sensors are replaceable, although I have not had to replace mine yet.
X2...TST is the way to go...very dependable and accurate system

Old 03-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #12

Yes TST will replace the charger. Have not contacted them, but they do seem to be good to work with. Unit is still under warranty. Nothing against either make, TireMinder or TST, but I think I like the TST unit better.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
X2...TST is the way to go...very dependable and accurate system
X3! Great system. Reasonable price.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #14

Thanks everyone, that's the one thing I like about this forum if you put a question out there you get a lot of response without too much flak.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster30 View Post

I had the tiremender system for four months and then gave it a nice funeral in a garbage can. It constantly dropped signals even when standing next to the sensors.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #16

Just a note. TST is offering a three year warranty on any units purchased this Month (March) and 10 percent off if you call in the order.
I'm ordering a set on Monday.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #17

The TST system save us from damage on our trip this weekend. Had a tire split but not blow out. The system showed the tire losing pressure from 80LBS to 55LBS in about 1 1/2 miles. That gave me time to exit the Interstate and drive down the service road another 1/4 to a safe place to change tires. After stoping, the tire was completely flat in 3 minutes.

The trailer never showed signs of having a tire problem. I never felt the tire going down. The TST system is the only way I knew about the tire. Continuing at highway speed, that tire would have come apart taking out my hot water heater, furnace, and the bottom of my kitchen cabinets.

Had four new tire put on before pulling into the campground.
----------------------------
Nights camping:
(31) 2014, (18) 2013, (62) 2012, (57) 2011
Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #18

we just ordered the 507 flow through. will put them on tomorrow. they do highly recommend metal valve stems though. they have the 3year warranty along with the 10% discount if you call and order.
primetime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #19

I would like the flow-through sensors; however, I'm not sure they will fit. The standard sensor, which appears to be the same ones used with the Tireminder system, just fit inside the wheel opening where the valves are.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #20

TireMinder

I bought the TireMinder in 2011. Occasionally, it would lose a signal to a sensor maybe once on a trip. I would unscrew the sensor from the valve stem and screw it back on and everything was fine. On my last trip, the sensor lost signal and I couldn't get it to connect back with the monitor. Upon inspection, the clip inside the sensor that holds the battery had broken, making the sensor inoperable. Every year, I send them my old batteries and they would send me new ones for free. I called them to explain my problems with the sensors and they told me to mail them my 4 sensors and my monitor and they would test them for 2 weeks and come up with a solution. After about a week, I began to think, oh boy I hope I haven't screwed myself and they rip me off to get it back. A week later, I called them and a rep went over my problems. The sensor with the bad battery clip could not be fixed and would have to be replaced. Uh oh, I thought here it goes. He said a new sensor is $45 or a refurbished one for $35. I have seen a pair of new sensors for $79+ so I thought this was on par for this product. So I started asking questions about the drop out in signals. He asked if I had a booster, and I said no. He said they don't sell TireMinders without out them now for this very reason(radio interference). So he said "since I am such a valuable customer", he would sell me a booster for $35 (normally $75) and throw in a reconditioned sensor. I couldn't give him my credit card fast enough! 3 days later, I get my monitor, my 3 old sensors, a "new" reconditioned sensor, booster, 10 batteries and 10 new o rings! The booster connects directly to the RV battery and fits perfectly in the battery box. I have a trip coming up soon to give it a test. I was very impressed with the customer service I received even though my product has been out of warranty for 3 years.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire