Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

tire mounting leave partial space between tire and rim?

Just had new tires installed on the RV and noticed that back tires are mounted all the way to the end of the rim. both fronts have a partial gap of about 1/4 inch short of the rim. It doesn't go around all the time mounting. I would say about half of both fronts are like this. Les Schwab says its just the beading and nothing to worry about. Should I have them remount/balance the two fronts or would that create any further problems mounting and remounting. All four tires are the same size, brand, etc. I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a "big" deal or not. Thanks
Old 07-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
Always Learning

Any chance you can show pictures of the 2 different tires?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
D W

If you've got a 1/4" gap at part of the wheel then I'd venture to guess that those beads are not fully seated. It is a big deal!

Would love to see pics...
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

When that happens you add air until the tire pops out, no matter how much pressure it takes to fully seat the bead on the rim
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richpaa View Post
Just had new tires installed on the RV and noticed that back tires are mounted all the way to the end of the rim. both fronts have a partial gap of about 1/4 inch short of the rim. It doesn't go around all the time mounting. I would say about half of both fronts are like this. Les Schwab says its just the beading and nothing to worry about. Should I have them remount/balance the two fronts or would that create any further problems mounting and remounting. All four tires are the same size, brand, etc. I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a "big" deal or not. Thanks

Need to see some pics, if you post them.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #6

pics of front tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Any chance you can show pictures of the 2 different tires?
Here is one of the fronts (the other picture I have of the other tire is almost identical). Like I said, the spacing only goes around about half of the tire. Someone suggested that all you have to do is inflate the tire until it seats. Thanks for your response, I'll await your further comments.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
When that happens you add air until the tire pops out, no matter how much pressure it takes to fully seat the bead on the rim
Just before you do that go out and buy a huge life insurance policy. Your wife and kids will remember you fondly for it.

Apparently you have no idea how many people have been killed or severely injured by doing what you suggest. I've seen the results on people, tire machines, and ceilings of tire shops, when a tire explodes due to people doing exactly what you suggest.

Proper method is to take it back to the dealer that mounted them or if the trailer came that way, take it to a dealer to have it corrected. A professional will break the tire from the bead, apply proper lube, and re-inflate. Beads usually seat fully, when properly lubed, at less than half the pressure they are going to run at although it can vary from tire to tire.

IF the gap is only in one place on the tire and only extends a few inches in either direction from it's max space, you COULD have a "Kinked Bead". These occure when tires are squashed into containers for shipment or run over by a vehicle before being mounted. If this is the case the LAST thing you want to do is try and straighten it out by applying more pressure. It could well be the last thing you EVER do.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Here is one of the fronts (the other picture I have of the other tire is almost identical). Like I said, the spacing only goes around about half of the tire. Someone suggested that all you have to do is inflate the tire until it seats. Thanks for your response, I'll await your further comments.

This is a commercial tire on a Georgetown bus? What size is it?

It appears to be half size rim diameter, from what I can vaguely make out on the tire ??.5 from your pic. It appears to be a Michelin.

These will have an entire different bead profile than a trailer tire, like a 16 inch or so.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #9

Thanks to all that responded.....I am headed back to Les Schwab in the morning and have them remount the two front tires. When I spoke with them today they said it was normal at times and that the tire was seated all the way around. Glad I thought that sounded like the "lazy answer" and reached out to the FR forum. Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
D W

I agree with TitanMike. There is something wrong with the beads to these tires, or they are out of spec.

I saw something like this many, many years ago when I worked at a Gulf Station. An old farmer brought a tire in and said he couldn't get the bead to seat. After examination we found the old boy was trying to mount a 16" tire on a 16.5" rim. I remember him saying " I didn't think 1/2" would make that much of a difference".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I agree with TitanMike. There is something wrong with the beads to these tires, or they are out of spec.

I saw something like this many, many years ago when I worked at a Gulf Station. An old farmer brought a tire in and said he couldn't get the bead to seat. After examination we found the old boy was trying to mount a 16" tire on a 16.5" rim. I remember him saying " I didn't think 1/2" would make that much of a difference".
Back in the late 60's we had a training film that showed the aftermath from an "old timer" trying to get a tire to fully seat on a rusty rim (tube type). He just kept putting in air until it blew. Killed both him and his grandson. Stripped the clothes right off both and flung their bodies well into the air.

Depending on the size of tire and pressure the energy contained in a tire can equal up to several sticks of dynamite yet people still treat them rather casually while working on them.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #12

tire mounting leave partial space between tire and rim?

Our first RV, many many years ago was an 18’ Ideal TT with a single axle. It had something called “split rims” and I had a difficult time finding a tire shop that would replace the tires. Finally located a truck tire place that had steel cage around the tire machine. Rather scary deal.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks to all that responded.....I am headed back to Les Schwab in the morning and have them remount the two front tires. When I spoke with them today they said it was normal at times and that the tire was seated all the way around. Glad I thought that sounded like the "lazy answer" and reached out to the FR forum. Thanks again.
Why on earth would you take your vehicle back to the place that told you a possible death scenario for you and your family was ok????

I would go anywhere BUT this Les Schwab place!
pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmkaz View Post
Why on earth would you take your vehicle back to the place that told you a possible death scenario for you and your family was ok????

I would go anywhere BUT this Les Schwab place!
I'd go back and bring the problem to the attention of the Store Manager. It's not "the store", it's only one employee that gave the OP an excuse for not dealing with it.

Les Schwab, as an organization, has dealt with probably more truck/commercial tires like this than a lot of other commercial tire shops. There's a reason they've grown from a small town tire shop in Prineville, OR to one of the largest regional tire chains in the nation. It certainly wasn't because they are incompetent and as for the employee who tried to shrug it off as "normal". chances are he'll receive some remedial training.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
You're kidding, I hope.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tire