Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Question Tire pics - need opinion(s)

This picture of the LF TT tire is from 10 OCT '11. Inflated to 50 psi cold, less than 35 miles on the tire (that I know of) driven less than 60 mph.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LF.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	16030

This picture is of the same tire, taken 2 JUL '12, 50 psi cold, 1200 miles, always driven less than 60 mph.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LF 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	16031

CW says they are shot and need replacement. I can't say they are. CW says they have excessive wear and I had one tire repaired at Tire Kingdom - had a nail go thru, repaired from inside, patched and plugged. All 4 tires look the same. They are as they always have been, raised in the center area and a little lower at the shoulder. CW guy just looked at them and in 4-6 seconds said they need replacement AND ST tires CANNOT be repaired MUST be replaced. Everything I can find says repair of the tread area is permissible if 1/4" or less in diameter. Anyone care to comment? Thanks.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #2

Size and brand tires would make a difference on what I would do. If they are Carlisle's or one of the other el-cheapo ST's that are out there, I would forget about rebuilding and/or repairing. Too many chances of sidewall failure. If they are 14", then your choices are limited to get away from the Chinese tires. In fact, if they are 14", your ONLY non-Chinese ST is the Kumho 857 (Korean), which gets great reviews on this and other forums. No one makes a 14" LT.

If you have 15" wheels, then there are many good ST or LT tires to choose from, including some US made.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
... They are as they always have been, raised in the center area and a little lower at the shoulder...
If you are not having any problems, I would add 5# to the cold temp. pressure to try to even out the wear and use them until a problem occurs or they start weather cracking.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

What size are they? Are they bias or radial? What load rating are they? What are they on? I don't know what a '12 GreyWolf 26RL is so help me out. They look alot like the tires on my last trailer.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

What is the manufacturer date? Have you asked a tire retailer to take a look and offer their opinion?
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
Have you asked a tire retailer to take a look and offer their opinion?
I think it is an excellent idea to get a 2nd opinion from a tire dealer.

I notice I a little "feathering" on the left side of the tire. See how the 2nd tread (rib ??) is higher than the outside edge. That could indicate an alignment problem.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #7

Looks like the belts have slipped (started separating). Check the biuld date on the tires. I would replace them, doesn't matter how many miles on the tire....its the age of the tire that is the main factor. Let me add....most of the time for RV tires its the age of the tire that is the culprit
Mickeetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #8

I think I would make sure you don't have an alignment problem before spending any money on new tires. My tires looked like that on my last Skyline trailer. It was a bent axle. Skyline replaced the axle and paid for the new tires I put on it to get home.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #9

OK - The tires are dated 1016, so fairly new. The '12 Grey Wolf 26RL is a tandem axle, TT weighing in (last scaled on 16 MAY) at 6277 lbs. All of the tires look the same, i.e. center 3 ribs a bit raised from the 2 outside ribs with equal tread depth. They are (Hate'em) Trail Express, 205R 70 by 14". I know - just replace them with Kumhos but...they still seem OK, hold air just fine and I am have LASER alignment done this week. Following that, I will get a second opinion from a tire dealer. The last trailer I had came with TE tires, 15" and I had major problems, mostly from a bent spindle from the factory.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, tread, wear pattern