Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

tire pressure

The max load rating on tires on my mac 226 tent trailer are 1600 #. Trailer weight is about 1800 #. Is the max tire load multiplied by two tires? Meaning the tires on the trailer are good for 3200#? These tires came on the trailer so I assumed they are adequate. What would be a good tire pressure to use?
Dragonfly213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

Yes, 1600 lbs each. Two would be 3200 lbs.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly213 View Post
The max load rating on tires on my mac 226 tent trailer are 1600 #. Trailer weight is about 1800 #. Is the max tire load multiplied by two tires? Meaning the tires on the trailer are good for 3200#? These tires came on the trailer so I assumed they are adequate. What would be a good tire pressure to use?
I recommend max pressure as stated on tire side wall. Some argue not necessary, however been my experience max pressure is way to go.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #4

The tongue weight is also subtracted from the max load.

My 228 has a GVWR of 3100 with a dry tongue weight of 350, and the original tires were rated for 1360 each
1360x2 = 2720
2720 + 350 = 3070

So technically, they shipped the trailer with a chance of going 30 lbs over tire ratings.

One reason why I yanked those lawnmower tires off the trailer, had it lifted and installed 15" tires that are rated at 1653 each.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

I disagree with blanketly going with max pressure as stated on the sidewall. Any major tire manufacturer has a load chart on their website. Weigh your unit and apply that to the chart. There's no need to further jar the crap out of things due to a rock hard tire. My truck tires say 80 psi, but the door sticker says 60 psi. If I pump them up to 80 psi, my truck gets really squirrly on the road and wears the center of the tire out way faster than the edges.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #6

Hi there are reasons to not run your tire pressure at full working load pressure if you have a tire that is rated higher than the load it carries but still want the stability and safety of a higher load range.

1. At full rated tire inflation pressure the tire my not have full contact with the road due to vehicle not having enough wight to push the tire flat on the road surface. Learned this one the hard way when I wore out the center tread of the tire in 8000 mile on my dully tires. The tire will crown and the tire center will only have contact with the road.

2. You need to inflate the tire to meet or just exceed the load the tires are carrying and not have excessive side wall flex that will break down the cords or wires in the side walls and create excessive tire heating. The right pressure for the load will keep the tire in full contact with the road surface.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Hi there are reasons to not run your tire pressure at full working load pressure if you have a tire that is rated higher than the load it carries but still want the stability and safety of a higher load range.

1. At full rated tire inflation pressure the tire my not have full contact with the road due to vehicle not having enough wight to push the tire flat on the road surface. Learned this one the hard way when I wore out the center tread of the tire in 8000 mile on my dully tires. The tire will crown and the tire center will only have contact with the road.

2. You need to inflate the tire to meet or just exceed the load the tires are carrying and not have excessive side wall flex that will break down the cords or wires in the side walls and create excessive tire heating. The right pressure for the load will keep the tire in full contact with the road surface.

Hope this helps Tim
And how do you determine the correct pressure for the load carried?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #8

Quote:
What would be a good tire pressure to use?
Whatever the tire placard says.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I disagree with blanketly going with max pressure as stated on the sidewall. Any major tire manufacturer has a load chart on their website. Weigh your unit and apply that to the chart. There's no need to further jar the crap out of things due to a rock hard tire. My truck tires say 80 psi, but the door sticker says 60 psi. If I pump them up to 80 psi, my truck gets really squirrly on the road and wears the center of the tire out way faster than the edges.
Talking about pressure in trailer tires, not your truck tires which very seldom if ever get even close to max weight for the tires. Trailers are all much closer to max weight for the tires. Two totally different animals.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #10
Just a member

Quote:
What would be a good tire pressure to use?
Max pressure molded into the sidewall. You won't find load charts for many of the tires installed as OE on RVs.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Talking about pressure in trailer tires, not your truck tires which very seldom if ever get even close to max weight for the tires. Trailers are all much closer to max weight for the tires. Two totally different animals.
Totally agree with OC, no need to play around with RV tires every time you move it. Max them out and not worry.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Max pressure molded into the sidewall. You won't find load charts for many of the tires installed as OE on RVs.
I believe that all tires that carry the DOT designation have load/inflation charts. If you can't find it you can list the complete size along with load range and max inflation and load marked on the tire sidewall and I can provide the numbers.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:46 PM   #13
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If you can't find it you can list the complete size along with load range and max inflation and load marked on the tire sidewall and I can provide the numbers.
Thx but that won't be necessary. The vehicle's (TT) recommended cold inflation pressure is in fact the max inflation pressure for the tire/s. This is in keeping with industry best practice of generally operating ST tires at their max inflation pressure.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
The vehicle's (TT) recommended cold inflation pressure is in fact the max inflation pressure for the tire/s.
That is probably also with your trailer's GVWR, i.e. the maximum weight the trailer is rated for when fully loaded. Depending on your trailer and your cargo, the rig might weigh well under what its rated for. So there is room for adjustment down from max psi, but only if you know your trailer's weight and know what you're doing with inflation ratios. Otherwise, max recommended psi is probably best practice as mentioned.
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
Commercial Member

What CIP?

Yes in multi axle TT use running the pressure on the tire sidewall associated with the Max load is the best plan. Even if you have confirmed you could run lower based on actual measured tire loading the best way I know of to lower the structural damage being done to the tire by lowering the Interply Shear forces is to keep the tiiee inflation high.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire