Old 10-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #31

My truck is over 10,000 lbs. and I do not have TPMS, it may have been an option. I am looking at the TST 507 system for my camper and maybe for my truck. For the truck , from the picture the sensor looks kind of big on top the valve stem. Those of you that have the 507 system, do you have the regular 507 sensors or the flow through sensors on your truck? The internal ones are expensive ($79 plus installation), so I don't think I want to go that much.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #32

I have the regular 507 system. The sensors aren't that big, but you really need to have metal valve stems installed. I didn't want the extra weight of the flow-thrus hanging out there.

These are easy enough to remove if you need to add air, but I never need to do that except when I'm starting a trip, and I always take them off between trips anyway (battery life and theft prevention). You don't need to take them off to check the pressure because they're already doing that for you.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #33

My TPMS

Standard on Ford Super Duty (at least my year, 2013) No mention of any weight exceptions and when I start my engine the TPMS Icon comes on so I know I have it. Maybe things have changed?

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Hey Guys;

Just came across this thread. I have a 2013 Ford F-350 single rear wheel rated at 11500 GVWR. It came standard with a factory TPMS.

Mt tires are rated at 80 lbs cold but looks as though they have rubber stems, unless they are metal with a rubber covering.

Sort of opposite of what you are saying, or am I missing something?

Thanks
There are OE "High Pressure Snap-In" valves. Being over 10,000 GVWR your vehicle is exempt from the federal requirement.

I still recommend that when you install external TPMsensor you switch to bolt in metal valves just to avoid any possibility for fatigue with time and heat of the rubber snap-in stems.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Quote:
Standard on Ford Super Duty (at least my year, 2013) No mention of any weight exceptions and when I start my engine the TPMS Icon comes on so I know I have it. Maybe things have changed?

Your owners manual should have the info. Or the Ford dealer can confirm. I have not heard of anything prohibiting an OE from installing TPMS based on weight so maybe Ford (based on their tire problem history) decided they want you to have the safety feature.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 10-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #36

Tpms

I will check with the dealer. The owners manual states it is there, the brochure states it is there and I have the TPMS Icon. I am no detective BUT all signs point to it being there. I need to go to my dealer today anyway and I will inquire.

I am more concerned about the 5th wheel because of my experience with underbelly damage when a blowout occurs. My rig is at the dealer but I am fairly sure the 5r has rubber stems on 16 inch Westlake tires.

So the concensus is: If I put a TPMS on the 5r I need metal valves? True?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
I will check with the dealer. The owners manual states it is there, the brochure states it is there and I have the TPMS Icon. I am no detective BUT all signs point to it being there. I need to go to my dealer today anyway and I will inquire.

I am more concerned about the 5th wheel because of my experience with underbelly damage when a blowout occurs. My rig is at the dealer but I am fairly sure the 5r has rubber stems on 16 inch Westlake tires.

So the concensus is: If I put a TPMS on the 5r I need metal valves? True?

Good for Ford.

Yes get metal stems for the trailer. Good news is that you only need 4 sensors. I prefer a TPM with user replaceable batteries and with more than 1 year warranty.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #38

The TST 507 system has user-replaceable batteries and a 2-year warranty. (They say that it's two year only if your order this month...and it's been saying that for almost a year now that I know about...probably longer.)
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #39

Called TST

I spoke to TST. They do indeed recommend metal valves for their flow through sensors as they weigh 18 Grams but for the non flow through they stated it is absolutely not a requirement as they only weigh 11 Grams. They stated anything in the 12-13 or above gram weight should have metal valves. I know the general thought will be to "be safe" and install the metal valves but wanted input none the less.

They also gave me a price of $232.00 for a 4 valve 507 kit with non flow through transmitters, free shipping and a 2 year warranty. Sounds like a good deal.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #40

Quote:
I spoke to TST. They do indeed recommend metal valves for their flow through sensors as they weigh 18 Grams but for the non flow through they stated it is absolutely not a requirement as they only weigh 11 Grams. They stated anything in the 12-13 or above gram weight should have metal valves. I know the general thought will be to "be safe" and install the metal valves but wanted input none the less.

They also gave me a price of $232.00 for a 4 valve 507 kit with non flow through transmitters, free shipping and a 2 year warranty. Sounds like a good deal.
not a bad price I got mine back in the spring for $220 delivered and 2yr warranty too.

Tags
pressure, tire