Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #21

I'm very happy with TST as well. Read my review here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ice-44121.html
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #22

Love the TST 507 system! I look 10 years younger just from all the peace of mind! (wishing?)

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #23

For those of you that put the sensors on your truck, I assume you used the flow through sensors? On the fifth wheel did you install the regular ones? Also, what can I expect to pay to have flow through installed?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruduer View Post
For those of you that put the sensors on your truck, I assume you used the flow through sensors? On the fifth wheel did you install the regular ones? Also, what can I expect to pay to have flow through installed?
Since you say they have to pay for installation, I think you must be talking about the internal sensors instead of flow-thru. I haven't heard anyone say they bought the internals. They cost more and the batteries aren't replaceable.

Whether you do internals or not, you still have to pay to break the tires down to install metal valve stems. You'll pay ~$3-5 for the metal valve stems (unless you're going with internals) and ~$5-15 for the labor (per tire). If your tires are already balanced, don't let them tell you that you have to pay for a rebalance for just the metal stems. (If your tires/wheels have not been balanced, this is a good time to get that done!)

Personally, I didn't like the idea of the bigger flow-thrus hanging on the stem so I just use the regular sensors. I take them off between trips anyway and don't need to take them off to check pressures otherwise since I can just read the pressures on the monitor.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #25

i have the internals on my trailer. the metal stem comes attached to the sensor. cost me $10 per tire to have the tires broke down, sensors installed, and balanced. one rim i had to move the tire from one rim to another.
tire installer told me to make sure i let anyone wanting to break down the tire that i had the internal sensors. said they would not expect to find a sensor inside a trailer wheel.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruduer View Post
What year is your truck? Unless it is rated for more than 10,000 and if it is newer than 2002 I think it already has an OE internal TPMS.
According to valve maker Schrader
"In the U.S., if you purchased a car or light duty vehicle under 10,000 lbs, manufactured after September 1, 2007, you have TPMS. If your model was manufactured after October 5, 2005, you may have TPMS. Also, prior to the legislation, some higher-end vehicles also came equipped with TPMS as a premium option. Among other matters, within TREAD Act of 2000, the U.S. federal government mandated the required implementation of TPMS on all new vehicles in the following phased rollout:
  • 20% of new vehicles from Oct 5, 2005–Aug 31, 2006
  • 70% of new vehicles from Sept 1, 2006–Aug 31, 2007
  • 100% of new vehicles from Sept 1, 2007 and beyond"
You should see a dash warning light with this logo

when you first turn on your ignition.

RE Metal valves. Standard passenger type rubber "snap-in" valves are rated 65 psi. If you inflate higher than 65 you must use bolt in valves. I suggest that whenever you get new tires that are LR-C and higher you have bolt in valves installed for extra safety margin.
If using an external TPMS you should also use bolt in valves as "snap-in" valves were not designed to have extra weight added to their end.

If you already have bolt in valves, the flow thru design just screws on like a valve cap so there should be no "installation fee". If you use flow thru tupe be sure to still use a valve cap to keep dirt out of the valve core area to prevent bits of dirt causing a leak. I have a number of posts with a focus on VALVES.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #27

I just bought the TST system for my Ford dually and 5'er. I got the 510 system with 10 sensors. Tireman9 you are correct, except for dual wheel vehicles. My 2012 does not have a factory tpms, probably because of the weight rating. The TST 510 system has the built in batteries that are supposed to last for about 5 years. The TST 507 system has user replaceable batteries. I did not get the flow thru sensors, and now I have mixed emotions. On my Ford wheels, the sensors were a bit of a "pita" to install. In fact, I had to remove the outside dual wheel to access the valve stem on the inner dual wheel, to install the sensor. Then after putting it all back together, I had one that didn't work. Turned out to be operator error, double check your codes that you program in. I'm just sayin'. Other than that I like the system so far.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #28

Tpms

Hey Guys;

Just came across this thread. I have a 2013 Ford F-350 single rear wheel rated at 11500 GVWR. It came standard with a factory TPMS.

Mt tires are rated at 80 lbs cold but looks as though they have rubber stems, unless they are metal with a rubber covering.

Sort of opposite of what you are saying, or am I missing something?

Thanks

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Hey Guys;

Just came across this thread. I have a 2013 Ford F-350 single rear wheel rated at 11500 GVWR. It came standard with a factory TPMS.

Mt tires are rated at 80 lbs cold but looks as though they have rubber stems, unless they are metal with a rubber covering.

Thanks
Your sensors are internal, not hanging on the outside of the stem.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #30

Tpms

I thought it was stated that if the weight rating was over 10000 lbs there was NOT a factory monitoring system, and tires rated over 65 lbs had to have metal valves. maybe I got this all wrong.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #31

My truck is over 10,000 lbs. and I do not have TPMS, it may have been an option. I am looking at the TST 507 system for my camper and maybe for my truck. For the truck , from the picture the sensor looks kind of big on top the valve stem. Those of you that have the 507 system, do you have the regular 507 sensors or the flow through sensors on your truck? The internal ones are expensive ($79 plus installation), so I don't think I want to go that much.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #32

I have the regular 507 system. The sensors aren't that big, but you really need to have metal valve stems installed. I didn't want the extra weight of the flow-thrus hanging out there.

These are easy enough to remove if you need to add air, but I never need to do that except when I'm starting a trip, and I always take them off between trips anyway (battery life and theft prevention). You don't need to take them off to check the pressure because they're already doing that for you.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #33

My TPMS

Standard on Ford Super Duty (at least my year, 2013) No mention of any weight exceptions and when I start my engine the TPMS Icon comes on so I know I have it. Maybe things have changed?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hey Guys;

Thanks
There are OE "High Pressure Snap-In" valves. Being over 10,000 GVWR your vehicle is exempt from the federal requirement.

I still recommend that when you install external TPMsensor you switch to bolt in metal valves just to avoid any possibility for fatigue with time and heat of the rubber snap-in stems.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #35
Commercial Member

Quote:
Standard on Ford Super Duty (at least my year, 2013) No mention of any weight exceptions and when I start my engine the TPMS Icon comes on so I know I have it. Maybe things have changed?

Your owners manual should have the info. Or the Ford dealer can confirm. I have not heard of anything prohibiting an OE from installing TPMS based on weight so maybe Ford (based on their tire problem history) decided they want you to have the safety feature.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #36

Tpms

I will check with the dealer. The owners manual states it is there, the brochure states it is there and I have the TPMS Icon. I am no detective BUT all signs point to it being there. I need to go to my dealer today anyway and I will inquire.

I am more concerned about the 5th wheel because of my experience with underbelly damage when a blowout occurs. My rig is at the dealer but I am fairly sure the 5r has rubber stems on 16 inch Westlake tires.

So the concensus is: If I put a TPMS on the 5r I need metal valves? True?

Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
I will check with the dealer. The owners manual states it is there, the brochure states it is there and I have the TPMS Icon. I am no detective BUT all signs point to it being there. I need to go to my dealer today anyway and I will inquire.

I am more concerned about the 5th wheel because of my experience with underbelly damage when a blowout occurs. My rig is at the dealer but I am fairly sure the 5r has rubber stems on 16 inch Westlake tires.

So the concensus is: If I put a TPMS on the 5r I need metal valves? True?

Good for Ford.

Yes get metal stems for the trailer. Good news is that you only need 4 sensors. I prefer a TPM with user replaceable batteries and with more than 1 year warranty.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #38

The TST 507 system has user-replaceable batteries and a 2-year warranty. (They say that it's two year only if your order this month...and it's been saying that for almost a year now that I know about...probably longer.)
Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #39

Called TST

I spoke to TST. They do indeed recommend metal valves for their flow through sensors as they weigh 18 Grams but for the non flow through they stated it is absolutely not a requirement as they only weigh 11 Grams. They stated anything in the 12-13 or above gram weight should have metal valves. I know the general thought will be to "be safe" and install the metal valves but wanted input none the less.

They also gave me a price of $232.00 for a 4 valve 507 kit with non flow through transmitters, free shipping and a 2 year warranty. Sounds like a good deal.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #40

Quote:
I spoke to TST. They do indeed recommend metal valves for their flow through sensors as they weigh 18 Grams but for the non flow through they stated it is absolutely not a requirement as they only weigh 11 Grams. They stated anything in the 12-13 or above gram weight should have metal valves. I know the general thought will be to "be safe" and install the metal valves but wanted input none the less.

They also gave me a price of $232.00 for a 4 valve 507 kit with non flow through transmitters, free shipping and a 2 year warranty. Sounds like a good deal.
not a bad price I got mine back in the spring for $220 delivered and 2yr warranty too.

Tags
pressure, tire