Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #1

Tire protection when sitting all year

We left our RV at a storage place 30 minutes away last spring. This fall we moved it the 30 miles back to our spot in Port Isabel Texas, just off the Gulf of Texas. We don't intend to move our RV again until April, likely back to the storage place.

So our 5th wheel basically sits idle all year in the hot sun on pavement or dirt. These are brand new tires before our trip from Michigan to Port Isabel last year, but just sitting there in the hot sun concerns me as to their sun degradation.

What do you do to protect your tires? I see a few have tire covers here, not that many, and the place where we store our RV in the summer says he has a barn full of them, as the winds here rip them off in time. Are there tire treatments, that help prolong sedentary tire life?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
jerryadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

Some use tire covers, I find they blow away in the wind. My tires are on wood and I treat them with tire preservative.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
Coach

If ours will be sitting for longer than a month, we cover the tires. Otherwise we treat them with some 303 protectant when it gets washed.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #4

We have tires covers but we're able to keep them in place, even in SoCal with our winter Santa Ana winds. We inserted brass grommets into the loose bottom corners and attach a bungee cord through each hole to hold the covers in place. Kind of a PITA to get them attached but certainly better than letting the tires rot from the UV. Having the tires up on wood blocks helps a bit with the installation. You can get a little grommet kit with the tool for only about 4 bucks at Harbor Freight or take the covers to a tent and awning shop and have grommets inserted.

https://m.harborfreight.com/12-in-gr...-pc-63237.html
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #5

We do nothing our tires sit in the Myrtle Beach sun or at home in Virginia exposed all year. I do replace them every 5 years or if dry rot starts (This is usually not before 5 years).

I have six trailers 16 china trailer tires, six autos/ one ton truck for 40 years cover none of the tires, have had no flats on the road only in the driveway due to screws / deer bones / nails.

I did finally replace one utility trailer tire set that was put on in 1992 (No flats ) last year.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #6

We use 303 and tire covers, no problems. Check tire pressure once a month while we are parked.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #7

I put barbecue sauce on my tires if my trailer is to sit a while. I figured that the barbecue sauce keeps my chicken from drying out on the grill . It's should do the same for my tires sitting in the sun and heat.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
I put barbecue sauce on my tires if my trailer is to sit a while. I figured that the barbecue sauce keeps my chicken from drying out on the grill . It's should do the same for my tires sitting in the sun and heat.

[emoji23]
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #9

My question to you, what do you do to protect the tires on your vehicles that you drive daily. Answer is nothing, so why are you concerned about tires on a trailer which is exposed to the same weather conditions, blazing sun and freezing temperatures as your daily driver.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #10

As said earlier, protect with 303 and tire covers.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
My question to you, what do you do to protect the tires on your vehicles that you drive daily. Answer is nothing, so why are you concerned about tires on a trailer which is exposed to the same weather conditions, blazing sun and freezing temperatures as your daily driver.
The reason to take care of tires is that they have plasticizers that keep them flexible and crack free. When you drive that heats the tires and keeps the plasticizers active. When they sit, the surface dries and start to deteriorate. Most tire manufacturers recommend driving 30 minutes or so every few weeks to keep tires in shape.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

Do not put any tire preservative such as Armorall on your tires. Most contain petroleum distillates, which leach the tire's own protective chemicals out of the tires, and accelerate rather then reduce the dry rot. Use tire covers.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #13

johntaylor's response is why I use 303, no petroleum distillates.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #14

I use the tire covers and just put a rope or bungee around to keep them from blowing off.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #15

Why didn't I think of that?

Quote:
Hmmm, never thought about that, but makes a lot of sense.

That would probably work well in an urban environment but, near the woods, probably not so much.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #16

That’s awesome!!

Quote:
😂😂😂. I needed a good laugh!!
Rbare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
Do not put any tire preservative such as Armorall on your tires. Most contain petroleum distillates, which leach the tire's own protective chemicals out of the tires, and accelerate rather then reduce the dry rot. Use tire covers.
This myth that ArmorAll destroys tires and dashes has been debunked many times. Another myth that is right up there with K&N filters destroying engines. Do your own research and try to weed out the facts from the kool-aid drinking opinions.

Personally, I have a 40 year old truck that has been outside all of its life. I drive it about once a month around the farm/town. Rarely above 65mph anymore. The tires are Discount Tires Pathfinders and have a manufacture date of 1996. They have been regularly ArmorAll'ed their entire life. Never covered. No cracks anywhere.

I'm just amazed as you that the tires are still good. Just used the truck to haul 10 loads of crusher fines. Thought the weight would destroy the old tires..... Nope, still just fine. Go figure.

I believe the best thing for tires is to be kept clean and used regularly. Covering definitely does not hurt and keeps the sun off of them. Does it help prolong the tires life? Maybe...
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

I've seen several people place plywood to cover their tires, they paint them up nicely with scenes and being stuck up under the fenders they don't blow away. My trailer is on the wooded site 365 days a year, I don't cover mine nor have I treated them, after 5 years they are still fine.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #19

I always park on plywood when at home. I have used 303. I believe you can find tire covers on Amazon with grommets to tie them on. I think that is where I got them. I have to look. I need to replace on as a chipmunk or squirrel thought it cool to crack nut on top of one tire and was not careful. It chewed through on layer of the tire cover. It did not even leave a tip to cover the damage.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #20

I use the snap ring covers. They have a spring wire in the back which prevents wind from blowing them off.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Covers/C...iABEgIimvD_BwE
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire