Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #1

Tire psi max and increase number when driving

If tire has max psi 65 on it. I set the tires to 62. I have a Tmps when driving a few miles down the road a couple of the tires go up to 68 psi in cold condition outside temperature 30s

Question what is the most you would let the psi to go before pulling over to cool down tires. Heading south with warmer conditions on road.

Dndfunteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Inflate to your desired PSI and then drive it. All tires will heat up a little and increase temperature. Not a problem. Keep driving.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Inflate to max cold pressure on tires when tires are cold. The temp will rise as you travel. It will even rise more on the sunny side of the RV. This is normal and is taken into account when specifying the cold pressure. Do not be too concerned about tire temp as this can vary a lot based on conditions. A significant rise in one tire over the others should be cause for concern.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #4

Listen to Flybob, he is right on. I try to check, and air my tires up before the sun is on them in AZ. The sun can, and does raise tire pressure a few pounds, as does the first several miles of travel.
AZ Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

Agreed the posted pressures on the door or the tires are taking pressure and filling tires when cold. That pressure will go up as it gets hotter but not to worry. Just don't overfill when cold. A reliable gauge is your piece of mind no matter how good or how off your TPMS are.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #6

x2. Tire inflation pressure is for COLD tires. Even 20 minutes of direct sun on the tires will raise the pressure and result in improper inflation. Pressure differential between sides of rig while driving based on one side being in the sun can have same impact and is normal and expected.

For towables, tires should always be inflated to the max cold pressure before travel.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #7

Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
Listen to Flybob, he is right on. I try to check, and air my tires up before the sun is on them in AZ. The sun can, and does raise tire pressure a few pounds, as does the first several miles of travel.
I also notice a 10-15 degree temperature increase on the sunny side tires. My local tire guru suggested that I inflate to the suggested pressure the coach mfg posts. If you upgrade to stouter tired or LT rather than ST, Iíd be consulting Michelin or BF Goodrich or Goodyear etc to figure out appropriate inflation levels. Also GET A PRIMO TIRE GAUGE! I find my gauge may disagree with the shop 10 lbs or more!
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #8

Tire Pressure Rise

I have a DP motorhome. Cold pressure specs are 120# front and 100# rear. I live in Florida and common for the front to get up to 135 with rear going up from 100 to 110-115. My TST system gives me pressure and temperature readouts. I watch both and should one tire vary significantly from the others, there is a problem. Hope this helps. PS the sun side is always higher pressure and temp.
hupmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupmat View Post
I have a DP motorhome. Cold pressure specs are 120# front and 100# rear. I live in Florida and common for the front to get up to 135 with rear going up from 100 to 110-115. My TST system gives me pressure and temperature readouts. I watch both and should one tire vary significantly from the others, there is a problem. Hope this helps. PS the sun side is always higher pressure and temp.

Thanks thatís what I was looking for
Dndfunteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #10

If you are traveling south during the winter it is important to check tires each morning as the ambient temperature can have a major effect (depending on the weather). I was bleeding air every morning traveling from MN to FL (sum of three air dumps was about 7 psi). Morning cold temperature increased from 28 F to 85 F over four days.

DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire