Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #1

Tire purchasing question.

I am a new forum member and I just purchased a Rockwood Tent Trailer that I would like to install new tires on. I was reading here and Carlisle sure won't be the ones I will purchase. The ones on the trailer now are Carlisle 145R12C. What options on better tires do I have?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
2006 Rockwood 8298SS

I have bought several tires for my Rockwood. Make sure you buy trailer tires and not a light truck tire. I have heard they are all made over seas now and are the same thing with different names. Don't know the brand I purchased. Expect to pay about $70 a tire.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #3

Trailer tires normally start with the letters.....ST which stand for....SERVICE TRAILER and it is also spelled out on the tire. The reason for the special tires is because the side walls must be able to with stand sharp pivet action with out popping off the rim or causeing damage to the side walls especially with tandem wheels. Automotive tires are normally 4 ply side wall load range "C", 3/4 ton pick- ups and SUV's that are 3/4 ton are 10 ply with a load range "E", trailer tires start with 6 ply and go up as sizes go up.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
I am a new forum member and I just purchased a Rockwood Tent Trailer that I would like to install new tires on. I was reading here and Carlisle sure won't be the ones I will purchase. The ones on the trailer now are Carlisle 145R12C. What options on better tires do I have?
Are you sure your tires are not "D" load rated, according to the tire chart that I have there is no "C" for an ST145/R12. The "D" rated load range requires 65 psi and with a max load capacity of 1220 lbs. It looks like if you want to go to a larger tire, the next step is a ST175/80R13, If this is the case then the rims will have to be changed. Check with your local tire dealer just to make sure.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Team

My Rockwood PUP had Carlisle's. They were a good tire. They were D rated.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #6

They are pretty much all made in Chiner nowadays.. I have Greenball's on my trailer right now and they have so far held up with the exception of one of my newer ones slipping a belt. I ended up purchasing a Carlile 227/75R15 E for a spare. From what I understand Carlile has gotten their act together and is making their tires better. Mike just recently shooed his trailer with Carilies. I think with any trailer tire it's a matter of how you take care of them. Protect them from the sun. Keep them properly inflated. If the rig is going to sit for an extended period of time you are supposed to keep the weight off of the tires (jack stands, not really practicle though in most situations). And ANY tire is only good for about 5 years no matter how good they look.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #7

We bought a '02 Rockwood 25' TT last fall. Tires were Carlisle and stamped as being manufactured in 2000. We blew two tires on a trip from Buffalo NY to Boston Mass over a very hot Memorial Day weekend this year.
While I was upset we blew two tires (one there and one on the way back) those tires were WAY past their life span, so maybe they're not so bad relatively speaking. The manufacture recommends replacing tires after 3-5 years no matter what they look like.
I learned a lot about trailer tires after that. Now I keep the trailer on jack stands to keep weight off the tires and I keep them covered.
We did a lot of research and no one was a clear winner by what we could tell by online reviews.
Brian