Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 21
Tire question

I purchased my camper from my aunt last year. The tires are about 5 years old and I know it is recommended to change your tires about this time. The tires on the camper are ST205 75D14. I called my local tire shop and they said they have ST205 75R14 radial tires. I am wondering if radial tires are ok to use on a TT. My TT is a 2005 Palomino Stampede 23SDSL with a dry weight of about 4100lbs or so. What is the difference between a "D" tire and a "R" radial tire. I am planning on replacing all 4 tires and the tire shop said they would give me the 5th (spare) tire for free. Any help is greatly appreciate- I am new to TTs. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ, Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed with the 6.6L Duramax/ Allison
2005 Palomino Stampede 23SLSD
Tank178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank178 View Post
I purchased my camper from my aunt last year. The tires are about 5 years old and I know it is recommended to change your tires about this time. The tires on the camper are ST205 75D14. I called my local tire shop and they said they have ST205 75R14 radial tires. I am wondering if radial tires are ok to use on a TT. My TT is a 2005 Palomino Stampede 23SDSL with a dry weight of about 4100lbs or so. What is the difference between a "D" tire and a "R" radial tire. I am planning on replacing all 4 tires and the tire shop said they would give me the 5th (spare) tire for free. Any help is greatly appreciate- I am new to TTs. Thanks!
They would work the radials, the "D" should be the rating never heard of a R. Have the tire people explain it and by the best that will fit. What tires did he say he wants to put on brand name?
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
(Dry Huunday)
 
DreiHunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 1,876
I know on my utility trailer had 205 75D14 tires (The "D" denotes diagonal or bias ply vice a radial construction) and I switched to a ST205 75R14 load range C with no issues....but that's a utility trailer.
I would wiegh your camper to make sure you get the right load range, but you shouldn't have any problems!
__________________

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
(Dry Huunday)
 
DreiHunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 1,876
This explains the "D" a little better.....
ST205/75r14 Trailer Tire Vs. a ST205/75D14 | etrailer.com
__________________

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
They would work the radials, the "D" should be the rating never heard of a R. Have the tire people explain it and by the best that will fit. What tires did he say he wants to put on brand name?

The tire brand is AutoGrip and they are the same load range "C". About $425 mounted/ balanced for all 5 tires. Basically it was buy 4 and he was throwing the spare in for free.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ, Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed with the 6.6L Duramax/ Allison
2005 Palomino Stampede 23SLSD
Tank178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,101
I don't know Autogrip. Looked up reviews and they sell car tires in Europe and people called them dangerous. They look like a cheap Chinese brand.
__________________
Ontario

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank178 View Post
The tire brand is AutoGrip and they are the same load range "C". About $425 mounted/ balanced for all 5 tires. Basically it was buy 4 and he was throwing the spare in for free.
I have never heard of them but that means nothing. That's pretty cheap. I would go with a known brand myself.....
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Independence, Kansas
Posts: 619
I buy a brand that is common across the US, that way I can buy a matching replacement while traveling if need be. ( And it has happened to me.)
__________________

__________________
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.