Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

Tire Replacement Recommendations

We are probably looking to replace our tires soon. Out 5th wheel is 5 years old, not a whole lot of miles for the age. Decent tread now. Always stored on concrete enclosed pad.

Our unit is Forest River Cedar Creek Touring addition 36ckts.
Need recommendations on what to replace them with. I have read on this forum to use truck tires. Any information will help.
Thanks

Flattyattack
Cedar Creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #2

I switched to truck tires. They have been great for about 20,000 miles.
A word or two of caution....
I blame the truck tires for cracking the aluminum rims. I replaced all four with steel rims.
I also blame the truck tires for breaking the spring shackles. I had to have both (about 2 months apart) repaired.
So, now after some money spent and some aggravation, I can say I am very happy with truck tires. Folks here on the forum who have made the switch all seems to be happy with their decision.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Always Learning

If you have 16” wheels now, either Goodyear’s G614 or Sailun’s S637.

If not, Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis m8008.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #4

Most trailer tires do have good tread after years of ownership. They tend to blow out because of heat (under inflation) and sidewalk checking from age. I myself believe in using ST tires which are designed specifically for trailers. I would go up in load range from the stock tire.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

Talking GY Endurance Tires

A month ago I installed GY Endurance 235-85-16 E rated tires on my Wildcat fifth. Bought them at Sam's Club for a great price. They have worked out very well so far. They are rated for 80PSI and 85MPH top speed. I'll never see that speed, but nice to have the buffer.
bblake57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattyattack View Post
We are probably looking to replace our tires soon. Out 5th wheel is 5 years old, not a whole lot of miles for the age. Decent tread now. Always stored on concrete enclosed pad.

Need recommendations on what to replace them with. I have read on this forum to use truck tires. Any information will help.
Thanks

Flattyattack
Cedar Creek 36ckts
What tire brand is on your Cedar Creek trailer?

I have a 2016 Cedar Creek bought new in May of 2015. I have Westlake Tires on my trailer, which are a 14 ply ST235/85R 16 129/125L. These are rated for 4,080 LBS@110PSI each with a max speed of 75MPH. I have towed this trailer for over 20,000 miles with these tires so far. I plan on replacing them next year as they will be 5 years old by then. My towing speed is 65 MPH and the tires are checked daily when towing. Tire temps range between 112F and 95 F depending on which side the sun is on when towing. I use an IFR heat gun to measure the temps at rest stops.

When I replace these tires I may replace them with the same brand of Westlake tires and size. As of today I have not seen very many or any reports of the 14 PLY ST 235/85R tire failures on Cedar Creeks trailers.

Now I am not interested in anyone's comments of a tire failure of a Chinse tire on another make of tire or a smaller size of tire. I am only concerned about the 14 PLY ST235/85R 129/125L Westlake tire. That is what I watch for and these seem to be a good tire so far.

If you do plan on using LT tires make sure they can support the trailer load. You may have to change your rim size to 17.5 and use a 17.5" LT tire .
Old 05-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Most trailer tires do have good tread after years of ownership. They tend to blow out because of heat (under inflation) and sidewalk checking from age. I myself believe in using ST tires which are designed specifically for trailers. I would go up in load range from the stock tire.
Based on reading I've done, I agree with SeaDog. Personally, I won't put tires on my rig that have less than a 20% load margin.

It is interesting to me that folks who complain about "China Bombs" inevitably replace their tires with ones that have a higher load range.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #8

I recently purchased a FR Flagstaff e-Pro 12 Rk (just a little 11 foot trailer) and have taken one trip with it. But, the more I read on the Forest River forum, the more nervous I get about the tires that came on the trailer. They are the infamous Castle Rock Chinese Tire Bombs that everyone complains about. Now then, I am 65 y.o. female who frequently travels across country solo (i.e. Texas to California) and the last thing I need to worry about is my tires exploding, especially since I will have two of my grandchilden with me on my next trip. I am trying to educate myself about travel trailer tires, but I find my head spinning from the information. So, here are a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to replace with the same size tires? My tires are ST185/80/R13. I cannot go up to an R14, correct?

2. Goodyear Endurance Tires do not come in R13. But Maxxis does and I am thinking of buying those. Any recommendations?

I am not worried about speed rating (I stay at 55 or 60 usually to conserve fuel) and I am not so worried about load index because with my trailer being so small, there isn't much I can put in it! I do check my cold tire pressure regularly. Anything else I need to know?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

Agree with you that you should replace your tires. Probably can't go to 14 inch without clearance issues. I put Maxxis on my previous TT and they worked great. Never had any problems with them. Recommend that you have the bearings repacked while having the tires replaced. Often they short the new axles on grease from the factory. Good luck!
bblake57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblake57 View Post
Agree with you that you should replace your tires. Probably can't go to 14 inch without clearance issues. I put Maxxis on my previous TT and they worked great. Never had any problems with them. Recommend that you have the bearings repacked while having the tires replaced. Often they short the new axles on grease from the factory. Good luck!
Thanks for the response and suggestions! Bev
Old 05-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev4banff53 View Post
I recently purchased a FR Flagstaff e-Pro 12 Rk (just a little 11 foot trailer) and have taken one trip with it. But, the more I read on the Forest River forum, the more nervous I get about the tires that came on the trailer. They are the infamous Castle Rock Chinese Tire Bombs that everyone complains about. Now then, I am 65 y.o. female who frequently travels across country solo (i.e. Texas to California) and the last thing I need to worry about is my tires exploding, especially since I will have two of my grandchilden with me on my next trip. I am trying to educate myself about travel trailer tires, but I find my head spinning from the information. So, here are a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to replace with the same size tires? My tires are ST185/80/R13. I cannot go up to an R14, correct?

2. Goodyear Endurance Tires do not come in R13. But Maxxis does and I am thinking of buying those. Any recommendations?

I am not worried about speed rating (I stay at 55 or 60 usually to conserve fuel) and I am not so worried about load index because with my trailer being so small, there isn't much I can put in it! I do check my cold tire pressure regularly. Anything else I need to know?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Myself I think you would be wasting your money. Better to invest in a good tire gauge and air compressor and check your tires cold each morning before leaving ensuring they are at the max sidewall pressure listed. under inflation is what causes most blowouts.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Myself I think you would be wasting your money. Better to invest in a good tire gauge and air compressor and check your tires cold each morning before leaving ensuring they are at the max sidewall pressure listed. under inflation is what causes most blowouts.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I do have a tire guage (not sure what constitutes a "good" one); and yes, we have an air compressor at home. BUT, I'm still very leery about the Castle Rock Tires; have just read SO MANY negatives about them, and the safety of my grandkids who will be traveling with me is more important than some money I might possibly waste on tires. Plus, it will give me some peace of mind, I think. At any rate, I will still check the tire pressure every morning!
Old 05-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev4banff53 View Post
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I do have a tire guage (not sure what constitutes a "good" one); and yes, we have an air compressor at home. BUT, I'm still very leery about the Castle Rock Tires; have just read SO MANY negatives about them, and the safety of my grandkids who will be traveling with me is more important than some money I might possibly waste on tires. Plus, it will give me some peace of mind, I think. At any rate, I will still check the tire pressure every morning!
Most people who have no issues with their Castle Rock Tires don't post on forums how good their tires are. It's mostly people who have had bad experiences. Some are just unlucky and have a bad tire or two. Some don't properly maintain their tires by checking air pressure before moving first thing in the morning and adding pressure if tires are down. You need a tire gauge capable of giving reliable readings, time after time. A 99 cent gauge may not be the ticket for reliablilty. Most digital gauges are not all that expensive and yield reliable readings. No mechanical parts to stick.

Believe it or not there are some people who consider a smack with a "Fish Billy" or ball peen hammer to be an accurate way to check a tire for proper inflation. Whatever.

Remember, if you read 10 posts about people who had a tire failure here on the forum, based on the number of Chinese made tires installed at the factory that's a mere pittance. Certainly not reflective of the number of the same tires on the road.

Lastly, speed is important. Castle Rock's are rated to 75 MPH. Makes no sense to drive down the freeway at 75 mph or more, have a tire come apart, then blame it on the tire.

I just finished a 4,000 mile trip and was passed by countless Travel Trailers, 5th Wheels, Toy Haulers, and even smaller MH's, all zipping a lot faster than my 60 MPH. My guess is those are the ones that have problems and complain.

So far my Castle Rocks have over 6,000 miles on them and not a single sign of any imminent failure. No channel cracking, rough ride indicating separation is beginning. Just nice round, black tires, that have had 50 lbs in them every morning when I checked, give or take a pound due to temperature differences.

What's sad is that those who have had issues have managed to create mass hysteria over Chinese Made OEM tires.

Wonder what is going to happen in 5 years or so if the Goodyear Endurance's do the same as the old Marathons.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattyattack View Post

Thanks

Flattyattack
Cedar Creek 36ckts
The correct replacements will be tires just like the ones that came on your trailer. (By the way, I’ll bet there is a statement about that in your vehicle owner’s manual). Now days there are trailer tires (ST) in just about all the popular sizes and load capacities, all the way to 4400#. Just like car and truck tires, there are unpopular trailer tire brands, satisfactory brands, good brands and of course, those that will have nothing but what they consider the best brands.

A normal upgrade will be to go up a load range as in LRC to LRD or LRE to LRF or LRG.

If your original tires did not provide about 10% in excess load capacity above the GAWR of the axle the were fitted to, you should insure the replacements do.

The tire industry standard is to insure the replacements provide as much load capacity - via inflation pressures - as the originals did/do.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #15

I would go farther than Airdale's recommendation. I think you should have a 20% margin over the actual weight of your trailer. If you don't know the actual weight from weighing it, then use the GVWR for your trailer.

If the weight allowance printed on the tires times the number of tires is 120% of your trailer weight, I will definitely agree with SeaDog that replacing them is probably a waste of money.

I've read that some trailers have a margin of 10% or less AFTER subtracting the tongue weight from the actual trailer weight. In my mind, those folks are most likely to have tire problems.

FR liked me, I have a margin of over 25% based on GVWR and nearly 30% based on my actual, ready to travel, weights.

Safe travels...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tire