Old 05-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

Tire Replacement Recommendations

We are probably looking to replace our tires soon. Out 5th wheel is 5 years old, not a whole lot of miles for the age. Decent tread now. Always stored on concrete enclosed pad.

Our unit is Forest River Cedar Creek Touring addition 36ckts.
Need recommendations on what to replace them with. I have read on this forum to use truck tires. Any information will help.
Thanks

Flattyattack
Cedar Creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel

flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #2

I switched to truck tires. They have been great for about 20,000 miles.
A word or two of caution....
I blame the truck tires for cracking the aluminum rims. I replaced all four with steel rims.
I also blame the truck tires for breaking the spring shackles. I had to have both (about 2 months apart) repaired.
So, now after some money spent and some aggravation, I can say I am very happy with truck tires. Folks here on the forum who have made the switch all seems to be happy with their decision.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

If you have 16” wheels now, either Goodyear’s G614 or Sailun’s S637.

If not, Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis m8008.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #4

Most trailer tires do have good tread after years of ownership. They tend to blow out because of heat (under inflation) and sidewalk checking from age. I myself believe in using ST tires which are designed specifically for trailers. I would go up in load range from the stock tire.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

Talking GY Endurance Tires

A month ago I installed GY Endurance 235-85-16 E rated tires on my Wildcat fifth. Bought them at Sam's Club for a great price. They have worked out very well so far. They are rated for 80PSI and 85MPH top speed. I'll never see that speed, but nice to have the buffer.
bblake57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattyattack View Post
We are probably looking to replace our tires soon. Out 5th wheel is 5 years old, not a whole lot of miles for the age. Decent tread now. Always stored on concrete enclosed pad.

Our unit is Forest River Cedar Creek Touring addition 36ckts.
Need recommendations on what to replace them with. I have read on this forum to use truck tires. Any information will help.
Thanks

Flattyattack
Cedar Creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel
What tire brand is on your Cedar Creek trailer?

I have a 2016 Cedar Creek bought new in May of 2015. I have Westlake Tires on my trailer, which are a 14 ply ST235/85R 16 129/125L. These are rated for 4,080 LBS@110PSI each with a max speed of 75MPH. I have towed this trailer for over 20,000 miles with these tires so far. I plan on replacing them next year as they will be 5 years old by then. My towing speed is 65 MPH and the tires are checked daily when towing. Tire temps range between 112F and 95 F depending on which side the sun is on when towing. I use an IFR heat gun to measure the temps at rest stops.

When I replace these tires I may replace them with the same brand of Westlake tires and size. As of today I have not seen very many or any reports of the 14 PLY ST 235/85R tire failures on Cedar Creeks trailers.

Now I am not interested in anyone's comments of a tire failure of a Chinse tire on another make of tire or a smaller size of tire. I am only concerned about the 14 PLY ST235/85R 129/125L Westlake tire. That is what I watch for and these seem to be a good tire so far.

If you do plan on using LT tires make sure they can support the trailer load. You may have to change your rim size to 17.5 and use a 17.5" LT tire .
Old 05-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Most trailer tires do have good tread after years of ownership. They tend to blow out because of heat (under inflation) and sidewalk checking from age. I myself believe in using ST tires which are designed specifically for trailers. I would go up in load range from the stock tire.
Based on reading I've done, I agree with SeaDog. Personally, I won't put tires on my rig that have less than a 20% load margin.

It is interesting to me that folks who complain about "China Bombs" inevitably replace their tires with ones that have a higher load range.
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #8

I recently purchased a FR Flagstaff e-Pro 12 Rk (just a little 11 foot trailer) and have taken one trip with it. But, the more I read on the Forest River forum, the more nervous I get about the tires that came on the trailer. They are the infamous Castle Rock Chinese Tire Bombs that everyone complains about. Now then, I am 65 y.o. female who frequently travels across country solo (i.e. Texas to California) and the last thing I need to worry about is my tires exploding, especially since I will have two of my grandchilden with me on my next trip. I am trying to educate myself about travel trailer tires, but I find my head spinning from the information. So, here are a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to replace with the same size tires? My tires are ST185/80/R13. I cannot go up to an R14, correct?

2. Goodyear Endurance Tires do not come in R13. But Maxxis does and I am thinking of buying those. Any recommendations?

I am not worried about speed rating (I stay at 55 or 60 usually to conserve fuel) and I am not so worried about load index because with my trailer being so small, there isn't much I can put in it! I do check my cold tire pressure regularly. Anything else I need to know?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

Agree with you that you should replace your tires. Probably can't go to 14 inch without clearance issues. I put Maxxis on my previous TT and they worked great. Never had any problems with them. Recommend that you have the bearings repacked while having the tires replaced. Often they short the new axles on grease from the factory. Good luck!
bblake57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblake57 View Post
Agree with you that you should replace your tires. Probably can't go to 14 inch without clearance issues. I put Maxxis on my previous TT and they worked great. Never had any problems with them. Recommend that you have the bearings repacked while having the tires replaced. Often they short the new axles on grease from the factory. Good luck!
Thanks for the response and suggestions! Bev

Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tire