Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #1

Tire rubbing on chassis 2012 Wildwood 28BHSS

Hi all, we purchased a new wildwood x-lite 28BHSS trailer this year and took delivery in May. It was our first trailer after tent camping so again wanted to make sure we bought a quality one.

On our first camping trip we had a major water leak where we discovered that a screw had been put through one of the water lines to the shower upon construction.

We since had a second water leak under the sink where two pipes met and had not been tightened enough.

We just returned from a 800km round trip from Canada to Lake George when on our way back I noticed doing a walk around the trailer chunks of what looked like asphalt around the rear wheel area. Closer inspection showed that intact the rear tire was rubbing on the inside against the chassis. The tire had been worn away almost half inch and was very close to blowing.

I was very upset but relieved about what could have happened should this tire have blown at 100kph !!!!!

The gap between the chassis frame and the inside rim of the tire is not even an inch.

Needless to say that dealer came to collect the trailer last Thursday upon our return. It is still under warranty of course but I really feel that we have purchased a "lemon" The dealer is currently waiting to hear back from Wildwood as to what to do next !!!

I think I should either get my money back or a replacement trailer as it looks like a major design fault that clearly was a safety issue !!!!

Has anyone heard of any similar stories ????

Eddy
eddyincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #2

clearance

Hi Eddy. Just to let you know that my 2013 Rockwood 3008w Windjammer has the same wheel clearance problem as yours. One tire was gouged to the cord. This trailer has been a McKenzie Rv for almost 2 months for minor repairs and now I discovered this very serious problem. I've notified the dealer and Forest River. Lets keep intouch about this. Serge
Mac rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Update

The trailer was collected by 1000 Islands RV where they liaised with Forest River sending photographs. Forest River liaised with the manufacturer of the axles. I was told that they thought I had over loaded the trailer which was complete nonsense.

After them having the trailer for almost 3 weeks 1000 Islands R.V replaced both axles and springs together with 4 new wheels and tires. They told me that they did this on their own accord and would argue the case with Forest River. Whether this was the case or Forest River agreed to replace the parts I will never know.

I was told though when I went to collect it that the new axles were 3" longer giving more clearance !!!!

I have the trailer back and all seems fine but there is obviously an issue with the axles !!!!

Good Luck and keep me posted
eddyincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

Tires rubbing on frame

Not so happy to owner!! I was coming home from myrtle beach which is a 700 mile trip and as I was 145 miles away from home I lady pulled up beside me and motioned to me that I had a low tire so I pulled off at the next exit. As I got out to inspect I did have a low tire on the drivers side front tire on the trailer. Instead of putting air in it and going on my way I thought I better just change it so I did. When I pulled the tire off all the inside tread had rubbed completely off and the tire was about to blow. Thank goodness for that lady saying something. I put the spare on and inspected the rest of the tires and guess what. They all were doing the same thing just not as bad as the one I changed. The tires are rubbing on the underbelly of the tt! I have an appointment with the dealer Monday and I can't wait to find out what kind of bull crap lies they have for me! I feel it's going to be a long hard fight but it is still under warranty so they gotta do something. Anyone else having this problem needs to contact the National Highway Traffic Association and report this problem so they will force Forest River to recall all tt that have this problem before someone is killed on the highway! It takes complaints to get it done so they can investigate the problem and make them fix it. I will let everyone know my situation as I deal with my dealer and forest river!
happyttowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #5

clearance

Hello happyttowner. Just to let you know that I've gone to hell and back with my 2013 Rockwood windjammer 3008w. This trailer has been to the dealer for 2 months last summer and has been at the factory for 1month and is now back at the dealer where I will pick it up tomorrow. We had just about every problem imaginable. From lifting counter tops to wheels rubbing on the chassis. The kitchen counter has now been replace twice. They have now replace the entire floor as well as the chassis. Bottom line is don't give in . contact Forrest river warranty and keep at it. Can't comment on the repairs this time but will keep you posted. Good luck. I am so sick of having to deal with this crap. Warren Buffet should feel my anguish. Keep in touch. Serge
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #6

PS There is now a recall from the NTSA or what ever they call. Send them an email about this. Serge
Old 09-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #7

An update to my tire issue. The dealership determined that both axles were bent causing tires to rub. They are replacing both axles and all 4 tires and rims at no cost to me. They have had my tt since the end of July and I still don't have it back yet but I guess that's what you get when dealership is doing warranty work. I am just glad they are fixing it without a fight.
happyttowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #8
Alleged curmudgeon

happyttowner...Sounds like this is a different issue than the issue which was the subject of the recall mentioned above by Mac rv. I'm glad you did not experience a catastrophic failure and good to hear your dealer and FR are taking care of your problem. Hopefully they will have you up and running and enjoying your unit soon.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, 28bh, tire, wildwood