Old 09-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #11
This past week we encountered road work where Caltrans had a flagger on the job with three rumble strips about 1/4 mile in advance of the flagger. I had not seen these used before, but they were big and ugly, and they made our 2011 MiniLite jump when I hit them doing 40 mph. A day later I noticed two bulges on both tires of the single axle TT at approximately the same place on the circumference of the tires. While I couldn't go back and look at the rumble strips to measure the distance between them, I bet the store that those bulges are the same distance apart as those rumble strips. The Les Schwab folks said there was separation of the sidewall or some such thing. Bottom line...hit the brakes if you see rumble strips and take them easy. Caltrans owes me for two tires!

HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
Commercial Member
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
OK, I checked the spare and it is quite obvious on the other side of the tire, definitely undulation.

I don't understand how I missed them on the tire that is on the TT, I have looked at them numerous times in the past month and never noticed it. But I checked and sure enough the same indentations are on the opposite side but not as noticeable. Because there are 2 within 6-7 inches of each other, it makes it look like a bubble between them.

Thanks all for the wisdom, wmtire you know your stuff! I have never heard of undulations in tires before but then again, I never read much about tires until we got the TT...

here are some pics of the spare:

You might want to get White tire covers especially for the spare. Sitting out in the sun is baking the life out of the tire. Especially to top side as it is in the direct Sun for more hours. Read my blog on White tire covers to learn more.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety.
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote