Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Tire Slow Leak

Last year we purchase a new 2014 Rockwood MiniLite 2109S travel trailer. I've noticed that one of the tires seems to have a slow leak. For example, it was recently down about 8psi after a month in storage. If I top it up before going on the road, it seems to hold for a least a week. I've examined the tire as best I can and I can't spot any obvious puncture (nail, etc.). Is there anything I can do short of replacing the tire to stop the leak? The tire was manufactured in 2013. Thanks.

Mark Ulmer
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Team

It probably doesn't need replacement.

Most likely it has something stuck in it. It can be hard to find, especially when still mounted on the RV.

I would just take it to a tire shop and have them check it out. It could have a puncture (most likely), bad valve stem, leaking valve core, or leaking around the bead/rim area.

We get many tires that have slow leaks where the bar code sticker on the bead, is letting it leak as it doesn't seal properly on the rim. That's why our SOP is to either remove the bar code label or put bead sealer on it when mounting a tire.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #3

Take it to a tire shop and find out where it is leaking. If it is in a repairable location they can take care of it for you. I had a similar situation on on my new trailer and it turned out it was a pin hole in the wheel. The dealer replaced the wheel and tire for me without issue.
You could always try a can of fix a flat in a pinch, but I wouldn't use it as a permanent solution
wildbill79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ulmer View Post
Last year we purchase a new 2014 Rockwood MiniLite 2109S travel trailer. I've noticed that one of the tires seems to have a slow leak. For example, it was recently down about 8psi after a month in storage. If I top it up before going on the road, it seems to hold for a least a week. I've examined the tire as best I can and I can't spot any obvious puncture (nail, etc.). Is there anything I can do short of replacing the tire to stop the leak? The tire was manufactured in 2013. Thanks.

Mark Ulmer
Two or three years ago, a friend had 4 slow leaks like that. He had to add air everyday. FR or nobody could fine it. Came out to be something with the rims, and they replaced them all and never happened again. Slow leaks can be caused by anything. It was also on a minilite. He would lose a couple of pounds everyday, didn't make any difference if it was moving or just sitting.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #5

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry it took me awhile to get this thread updated, but I wanted to let you know the result. As suggested, I took the TT to a tire shop. They took the tire off, and after about a half hour of searching, found that the tire was punctured by a piece of wire. Unfortunately, the puncture was in the sidewall where it couldn't be patched. So, I ended up replacing the tire after all.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
WFD

I have a similar situation with one of our OEM tires...the Trail Express that many here have swapped out. I was able to find the slow leak within the treads by using soapy water....now my dilemma is...do I bother getting it patched or do I just bite the bullet as many here have and swap out the tires for something better.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #7

With my old unit I never had a problem with the tire pressures. I put new tires on it and shortly after noticed that one tire looked to be low on air. After checking it I had to add air and after that I kept an eye on it, it leaked constantly. I took the tire and rim back to the place I bought the tires from and left it with them. Two days later I go back and they state that they cannot find any leak at all. I take the tire/rim home and decide to check it out myself. What I found was that air was leaking from the point where the rubber of the valve stem was molded onto the brass stem itself, not where the tubeless stem met the rim. I actually found it by very slowly pouring Windex on the valve stem. This was a trick I had learned back in the late '60's when working at a real service station and tubeless tires were fairly new. I took the tire/rim and my Windex back to the tire dealer and showed them the leak. I had their entire staff out looking at this one. Some of the guys stated that they had been in the tire business for years and had never thought about checking that area. A new valve stem, checked for leaks and all was well.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tire