Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #1

Tire Warranties: Do You Care About Them?

I have been reading tire warranties on ST tires online. The Goodyear one is a standard defect warranty but the Carlisle one is only for two years and excludes bulges among other things, as a warrantable defect. Since tread separation would include bulges, generally, it would seem the Carlisle warranty is almost useless. When I had to replace two Maxxis tires due to tread separations on my last trip, I had to go with TowStars from Les Schwab. The TowStars have a comprehensive warranty and Les Schwab included a road hazard warranty too. I am not advocating buying tires based on warranty but I was wondering how much consideration you give to the warranty on tires? Oh, I forgot to keep the Maxxis tires to try to get warranty coverage, if I could even find a dealer for them!

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #2

Carlisle is actually a pretty decent brand, but bulges are usually caused by excessive curbing... so I can see why they don't want to warranty them.

I usually buy tires based on the STORE'S protection program.

I have a set of BFG KO2's for my tow rig, and I had a blowout. The tire store took care of me in that case.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #3

No; I do not worry about the tire manufactures warranties. I do buy the tire warranty from Discount Tires since they do stand behind their warranties.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #4

Here’s my take on replacement RV trailer tire warranty protection.

Make sure the tire provider gives you a copy of the warranty and tire registration forms. Fill-out the registration forms and send them out in the mail. Put the warranty papers in a safe place along with a dated bill of sale for the tires.

Why all the fuss? You can get tire recall information for those tires from the holder of the registration forms. None of us have any idea how well our tires are made until they need replacing. Some warranty coverage starts at the time of the sale. Others start from the date the tire was manufactured, displayed on the tire sidewall.

Keep a copy of the tire serial numbers with the bill of sale. You may have to prove you are the original owner of a failed tire.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #5

We never worry about trailer tire warranties. Most manufacturers only warrant defects, which is hard to prove unless you have a tire dealer really pushing it. We have found no tire dealers in our area (including discount tire) that will or can sell you a road hazard for tires used on any kind of trailers. We had one friend who did buy RH for his trailer tires and when he tried to use it the folks at the 1-800 number told him it wasn't good for trailer tires and refused to help him or give his money back.

We do buy the road hazard for our truck tires and it has worked great the one time we used it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #6

I too buy the road hazard warranty from Discount Tire. Kind of a no brainer to me for a TT, they even sold me the warranty for my OEM tires on a trailer I bought in 2011.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #7

The Discount Tire (America’s Tire here) sells a warranty good for three years but it has the usual exclusions. The Les Schwab warranty looks good and doesn’t have the three year limit, but they don’t carry the tires I want. So, I’m leaning toward getting the best deal I can on Goodyear Endurance or Carlisle HD and not worrying too much about warranties.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #8

I’ll have to check Walmart, they sell road hazard on tires
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

I have not worried about tire a warranty. It has been a long time since I even thought about needing one. I have been running ST tires for at least 10 years on my 6 toys I mean 6 trailers with no issues. . All so called China made tires.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #10

Our 5th wheel, 8280WS, recently had a tire go bad. The tread had began to tear away way. Fortunately, this happened while stationary in our drive way. I followed the directions found on Lionhead's web site for warranty work and they responded within 24 hours and within a week I had a new tire and the followed that with a check to cover mounting and balancing. I was very impressed. We've only had the 5th wheel for 14 months.
duby325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #11

I would not wipe by backside with them. Tire warranties only cost you money and cost you more money when you use them. When one tire brand fails to satisfy. Never buy that brand again.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire