Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Tire wear

We have some funky tire wear going on, I thought I'd post up some pics to see if anyone has some input on what may be causing it. The wear is only on the passenger side front tire. I'm pretty religious about checking and maintaining tire pressure before, during, and after every trip. The inside and outside tread of the front passenger side is balding. The first two pics show the wear and the last one shows what the other three tires look like. We bought our grey wolf 19rr last year and are aware of the short lifespan the factory tires have, these have maybe 3000 miles on them. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140723_123123.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	58783   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140723_123125.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	58784   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140723_123152.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	58785  
whitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

Does not look like 'feathering' with the axle to far ahead or back. It looks to be a camber problem. Have you put a jack under the axle and bent it up? This would force more pressure and wear on the outside of the tire/tread.

Tire Tread Wear Patterns: Pictures | Causes

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...l&va=tire+wear

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #3

Nope I've not jacked up the trailer once since we've taken delivery. The pictures don't show well but the inside tread looks just like the outside on that tire.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

I had the same problem. Symptoms looked like the tires were running under inflated. I have always checked the pressure so I knew that wasn't the issue. Thanks to those on the forum with more experience than I, the answer was that my tires were at the load range maximum. In your case, why one tire shows more wear than the others could be more weight (bathroom or kitchen) over that tire. TT not level while towing i.e. nose down? We recently replaced the load range C with D plus a better quality tire (we hope) and we'll see what happens. Good luck and stay tuned for the bright guys to respond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0798.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	58786  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #5

Per the chart, then your tires may be under inflated. Check psi before every trip and during also on all tires. With the wear that you have on the edges, it would not be good for the belts of the tire and it may cause problems/blow at any time. If you did not want to buy a new tire at this time, use it as the spare and use your spare for that axle. Up grade to a higher grade when getting new tires.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #6

Interesting, I'll definately swap it. We planned to purchase new shoes for the trailer anyways. All 4 tires are within a pound of each other and have been checked/added to before every trip. I could see the weight over that tire possibly being an issue as the fridge is almost directly over it. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Carknocker Family

My tires are doing the same thing. I know for a fact that they are not under-inflated. Check before during and after a trip. Never faltered on pressure. All four of mine though. Saving my pennies to by a Load range e tire. Not helping on OP's situation, just letting them know that they are not alone.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitca View Post
Interesting, I'll definately swap it. We planned to purchase new shoes for the trailer anyways. All 4 tires are within a pound of each other and have been checked/added to before every trip. I could see the weight over that tire possibly being an issue as the fridge is almost directly over it. Thanks!

I would question just having the weight of the fridge over that tire as causing the wear to the edges of the tire. Is your unit level going down the road. Does it sway a lot or bounce? If you are planning on getting new tires in the future? What then if you do 'upgrade' and still have the same issue? If it is the 'edges' and your psi is ok. Take a tape measure from your hitch on the tongue back to each tire on each side and see if the numbers are the same. With the stress on that tire and cords, I would pull it off. Take your spare and put it on the opposite axle and side and put that tire where your wearing tire is. Have you called your dealer for suggestions or warranty issues?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I would question just having the weight of the fridge over that tire as causing the wear to the edges of the tire. Is your unit level going down the road. Does it sway a lot or bounce? If you are planning on getting new tires in the future? What then if you do 'upgrade' and still have the same issue? If it is the 'edges' and your psi is ok. Take a tape measure from your hitch on the tongue back to each tire on each side and see if the numbers are the same. With the stress on that tire and cords, I would pull it off. Take your spare and put it on the opposite axle and side and put that tire where your wearing tire is. Have you called your dealer for suggestions?
Trailer is level when traveling yes. No excessive sway or bounce with a single sway bar behind a one ton truck, it's planted even with crosswind. I will definately measure it to see if there's a difference as I certainly fear that new tires will not remedy the issue. I emailed the pictures and explained the situation to the dealers service dept. this morning hoping that they could get it in to take a look prior to our next trip in a few weeks, I'm just looking for a few more ideas as the single tire wearing the way it is seems very weird.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #10

With the wear that I see in the pictures, you are begging for cord separation (and the problems that go with that).ie., be careful traveling with that tire on. If you are under warranty, this to me seems as a Dealer issue. Good luck and please report back on what the dealer says.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #11

Will do, either way its coming off prior to the next trip.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #12

You are not alone. The rear tire on the passenger side of my unit is wearing on only the outside edge. The other three tires show even wear. Like you, my tire pressure is correct, my unit is level, and there is no sway or bounce. Only happening on the outside of one tire. Strange. At any rate, I am going to switch all 4 tires before the next trip. It still has the original Galaxy Road Rider ST's on it from the factory and they are 3 years old now.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire