Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Tires, again

Here we go again!!! Another tire question. We have a Mini Lite that came with 13" tire/wheel assemblies as standard. At the time of purchase we up-graded to the 14" aluminum wheels with the 205/75R's LRC at 50 psi mounted. So far these tires have been very good to us. They track well and with the 1760 lb load rating they suit our 2304 quite well. So now the question. It is coming time for us to start to consider replacing these China Wonders. After looking for suitable 14" ers we found something new, at least we have not seen it before. The manufacturer, Load Star, is well known but we think the tire is an up dated product.
We currently have Load Star's on the trailer and like I said, have been more than happy with them. While looking through this web site (www.trailer tires.com) we found these, a listing for a ST205/75R-14 LRD with a 2040 lb load rating /65 psi. With all the folks buying lighter trailers with 14" wheels this could be something to consider. So, has anyone seen this tire or talked with anyone that may have them installed on their trailer. Don't know what the cost comparison would be but I suspect they would be competitively priced. Any comments?

2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Make sure your wheels are rated for 65 psi... I wonder who makes Loadstar. I have 3 Towmax tires on mine (LRC) and one Maxxis. Maxxis seems to have a decent reputation. The one Towmax I had to replace (already) had tread separation that I found on inspection prior to a trip. They are China bombs, for sure. I need to find some LRD tires and will be interested to know where the Loadstars are made, and the general quality. Keep us posted, please...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

as info

kenda make loadstar tires.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

As pointed out, you need to make sure your wheel is rated for 65 psi as well. Certainly, you could run the LRD's at 50 psi on the old wheels, but the risk is somebody going by the tire sidewall for air pressure information and over inflating. Other things to consider:
Your camper is pretty light weight. The higher the load range of the tires, the stiffer the sidewall, this, along with the higher air pressure will produce a pretty rough ride for your unit. You could well end up with it bouncing into the air on a rough road. Certainly, damage to the structure of the camper is a possibility.
I know we live in the land of "some's good, more's better", but in your case, I'd recommend staying with the LRCs that are working well for you already.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

kumho 857 is one of the best 14' trailer tire
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #6

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
As pointed out, you need to make sure your wheel is rated for 65 psi as well. Certainly, you could run the LRD's at 50 psi on the old wheels, but the risk is somebody going by the tire sidewall for air pressure information and over inflating. Other things to consider:
Your camper is pretty light weight. The higher the load range of the tires, the stiffer the sidewall, this, along with the higher air pressure will produce a pretty rough ride for your unit. You could well end up with it bouncing into the air on a rough road. Certainly, damage to the structure of the camper is a possibility.
I know we live in the land of "some's good, more's better", but in your case, I'd recommend staying with the LRCs that are working well for you already.
I do agree that for us LRD's could be over kill, but over the past couple of years we've seen a number of 30+ ft tt's running on LRC 14" tires. With the movement of the major trailer manufacturers building "lite weight" tt's it is nice to see the tire builders stepping up and making an alternative to LRC 14 " tires.
It is always the owners responsibility to ensure that all the requirements are met, ie rim spec's and clearances etc.
Just looking at some other options.

2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires