Old 05-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #11

I am visiting your FR site, I am replacing my Towmax tires Monday. I think it depends on how heavy your camper is. Mine is 12,500 on my two axles. My Towmax are rated at 3520 each. I too have read much negative posts on Towmax. I no longer trust them. Shopping for the right replacement is a nightmare with a heavy rig. I have read good things about maxxis for lighter campers. I just witnessed the damage of a friend who blew TWO Towmax within about 600 miles of each other. I learned that just about ALL trailer tires are rated at 65mph MAX. Any speed over that could damage your tire. Once damaged, the tire does not heal, but only get worse. How many campers are using the legal speed limit of 70 mph on interstates? Many! Also, I have done MUCH research on tires in last few weeks, and ALL tires are meant to be inflated to max pressure stamped into the tire when the tire is COLD. Heating is engineered into the tire strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime1 View Post
Was wondering if anybody has feedback on the towmax power king tires that they are putting on tt. We have a primetime lacrosse 318 bhs and the reviews that I see on these tires are horrible. Seems like everybody is having blowouts on them. The rv dealer said to use max pressure but i'm curious if that is true when the texas heat is 100 degrees. Also have read that the goodyears had issues to but I haven't researched them as much.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime1 View Post
Was wondering if anybody has feedback on the towmax power king tires that they are putting on tt. We have a primetime lacrosse 318 bhs and the reviews that I see on these tires are horrible. Seems like everybody is having blowouts on them. The rv dealer said to use max pressure but i'm curious if that is true when the texas heat is 100 degrees. Also have read that the goodyears had issues to but I haven't researched them as much.
Are you aware of the new tire program from Prime Time and Tredit?

I can't offer more info just the Press Release. BUT I would be surprised if there haven't been some improvements made that allow them to offer the warranty.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #13

Our 2012 V-Light came with the Trail Express LR "C" tires. We have put around 5,000 miles on the trailer and no problems until our first trip out this season. We blew two out on the passenger side and never made it to our destination.
I had checked and aired up the tires to 50psi (Max on sidewall) and saw no signs of tread or sidewall problems before the trip. The camper is at the dealer now for body repairs and I replaced all the tires with Hercules Power STR LR "E" tires. This is the first time I have had tire problems on any trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	52230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 2-1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	52231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 2-2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	52232  

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
Our 2012 V-Light came with the Trail Express LR "C" tires. We have put around 5,000 miles on the trailer and no problems until our first trip out this season. We blew two out on the passenger side and never made it to our destination.
I had checked and aired up the tires to 50psi (Max on sidewall) and saw no signs of tread or sidewall problems before the trip. The camper is at the dealer now for body repairs and I replaced all the tires with Hercules Power STR LR "E" tires. This is the first time I have had tire problems on any trailer.
Sorry to hear about your problems. When you say you "saw no signs of tread or sidewall problem" does that mean you confirmed with a off the ground rotation as seen or just that most of the tread looked OK and not worn out?
What is your actual individual tire loading and tire size?
DOT serial from the two failed tires?
Did you get any warning from your TPMS
Do you still have the tires and can you provide close-up pictures? I may be able to offer some possible reasons for the failures but need better(closer) pictures of the upper sidewall.
You may find THIS post on a "blowout" informative.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #15

Good to see tireman9 on this site too. Have read ALOT about failed tires. 5 years is the advertised life span of a ST tire. Anymore is luck. I have read they may look great but if they are too old, they may fail. ALSO, max rated speed towing is 65 mph. That was a surprise to me. I used to pull 70mph, that is the speed limit for cars, not for ST tires.

Tags
tire, tires