Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #1

Tires for Alaska

We've a Rockwood 2304 and are leaving for Alaska next summer. I'm due for new tires for the journey and would love some so we can buy the very best. Also will be buying new tires for our 1/2 ton Sierra which will do our pulling. And suggestions on make/model/rating would be appreciated.
John and Brenda
bdalejack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

It's hard to make any kind of options list without knowing your trailer's original tire size.

The Goodyear Cargo G26 is a durable commercial grade tire good for semi rugged roads and highways. However it's a 15" tire.

You can find them at the Tire Rack. Most U-Haul trailers all across North America are fitted with them.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

TT Tire size

For our Mini Lite 2304 by Rockwood, we have the factory installed Loadstar Karrier ST205/75R14. I'm buying new for next years Alaska trip, looking for the best-any suggestions?
bdalejack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #4

Depends on where you are in Alaska. Some of the gravel is very sharp; most not so much. We drove a new Ford Explorer up to Juneau, Alaska in 1993. Had the infamous OEM Firestones.

In Juneau, the problem was the glacier silt used for snow melt was/is extremely corrosive. Ruined bearings and brakes. No problems with the tires until we moved to Kodiak, Alaska in 1996.

Three flats in 2 weeks after arriving in Kodiak. No fun changing tires in the roadside mud while being rained on. Based on local recommendations, switched to 8 ply rating LT tires (8 ply rating was minimum recommendation) with almost an off-road tread. No more flats until the tires wore out over 50K miles (5 years) later, including drive from Homer to San Francisco towing a small boat.

Boat trailer (came with used tires) had tread fall off one tire in Northern BC (at a campground).

If tires are in good shape - decent amount of tread, and not over-loaded - they do just fine. You are not going to be running at high speeds on Alaska roads - unless you want to break your suspension. Sharp gravel is a concern in a few outlying towns. Again, if tires are in good condition, the damage from gravel is windshields and vehicle front surfaces.

To be honest, frost heaves (creates roller coaster roads) and poorly graded dirt/gravel roads are much more of an issue because you want to get to the next town in the same day. You go faster than you should, and the suspension pays the price.

Fred W
6 years living and traveling in Alaska
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #5

I have a family member who lives in Fairbanks and I have been up quite a few times to visit. One thing I learned is none of the locals would put a pick-up or SUV on the road without at least a six ply tire. I visited all three local new vehicle dealers and noted that ALL the pick-up trucks had either six or eight ply tires on them. I have talked to many people up there who talk about the infamous "shale roads" coming into Alaska, a/k/a the Alaska highway. This shale is a sort of rock found in Alaska but is sort of layered and has sharp edges which will puncture a tire fast. IF visiting Fairbanks note the amount of tire stores, radiator shops, and vehicle glass shops. On one summer visit up there I met a retired doctor who told me that he and one of his buddy doctors had both retired, bought a nice motor home together and left Pennsylvania to go through the northern U.S. and Canada on their way to Anchorage via Fairbanks. He told me that they had gone through three tires and one windshield just getting to Fairbanks. Their unit was at an RV consignment place in Fairbanks. They were flying home.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires