Old 09-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
CMSgt. (Ret) Charlie Brown

Tires on a 2014 330 MKS Crusader

I know this has never been discussed on the forum, LOL, but I am frustrated with tire issues on our fifth wheel. We bought the unit brand new in August 2013 with Towmax tires on it. In October 2015 we had a tire completely come apart on a trip. It did $3200 worth of damage to the camper. I replaced all tires with Goodyear Marathons. In October 2017 on a trip I found a huge bubble on the side wall of one of the Marathons. I replaced it with a Goodyear Endurance tire. This past weekend one of the Marathons blew. Fortunately no damage done.

I keep the tires covered when the unit is sitting on storage lot. I have the unit up on boards when stored so the tires are not sitting on the ground while stored. I am OCD about checking tire pressures before the camper ever moves. I have a TST monitoring system to monitor tire pressures and temperatures. All the tires are wearing even so there is not an issue of the axles being out of line, etc. We watch our weight so I am sure the unit is not overloaded.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do to get better wear and endurance with these tires?

CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
clr

It sounds to me like you are doing all that you can currently with your tires.

In my opinion is that the Mfr puts the cheapest tire that will only barely meet the weight limits of the unit. My case is a 2015 Sanibel 5th wheel that came with Goodyear Marathon tires. The OEM axle was a Dexter 7K pound axle, the Marathons were rated for a maximum load of 3420 at 80 PSI. So each tire was short of the required load of 3500 pounds to reach the axle limits. So Prime time reduced the GVWR of the unit by 320 pounds so that the tires would meet the limits. The second trip I blew two Marathon tires on the way home, so I began looking into what I could do.

To make a long story short you need to obtain a safety margin of at least 10% on your tires and 15 - 20% is even better. In my case I went from load range E to H but only run the tires at 110 PSI to reach my required safety margin. OK I may have gone a little to far here but I have not had any problems with the new tires in the two plus years on the road. So look at your GVWR of your unit and start your math from there.

2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
It sounds to me like you are doing all that you can currently with your tires.

In my opinion is that the Mfr puts the cheapest tire that will only barely meet the weight limits of the unit. My case is a 2015 Sanibel 5th wheel that came with Goodyear Marathon tires. The OEM axle was a Dexter 7K pound axle, the Marathons were rated for a maximum load of 3420 at 80 PSI. So each tire was short of the required load of 3500 pounds to reach the axle limits. So Prime time reduced the GVWR of the unit by 320 pounds so that the tires would meet the limits. The second trip I blew two Marathon tires on the way home, so I began looking into what I could do.

To make a long story short you need to obtain a safety margin of at least 10% on your tires and 15 - 20% is even better. In my case I went from load range E to H but only run the tires at 110 PSI to reach my required safety margin. OK I may have gone a little to far here but I have not had any problems with the new tires in the two plus years on the road. So look at your GVWR of your unit and start your math from there.
Did you move up to Goodyear G614's?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
fmc

Goodyear G 614. Problem solved!
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
clr

I went with Sailun tires that I bought from Tredit tire and Wheel the Prime Time supplier of wheels and tires. I also had to change the wheels with the new tires. The OEM wheels were Tredit T3 wheels as I recall and they were only rated for a max PSI of 80 and 3508 pounds of load. I bought 5 wheels and tires from Tredit for $1562 I went with the Sailun tires because they were highly rated and much cheaper than the Goodyear G614. The G614,s were about 425 dollars per tire. Remember also that I went thru the Goodyear Marathon problem with my unit and they did not make good on any of the tires that failed so I was not big on Goodyear.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
Goodyear G 614. Problem solved!
I can't move up in tire size because of clearance, or lack thereof, between the two tires and rim size. I looked at that possibility back in 2015 with the first major blow out with the Towmax.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
clr

I went with the 215/75R17.5 tire and wheel, the circumference of the tire was slightly less than the OEM 16 inch tires. So there was no clearance issues. You need to look at all the specifications very closely but I am very happy with my end product. Like I stated no tire problems in over 2 and 1/2 years now.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #8

Tire Problems

I have had a lot of problems with tires on 3 different Forest River products I have had - starting with 2 different Rockwood Roos and with my current Flagstaff Classic. Good Year paid for damages to my first blow out that did considerable damage. The last time I was in the middle of farmland outside of South Hill, Virginia and blew 2 tires an hour apart. I ended up having a farm tire store out in the middle of the country giving me all new tires. He put on the same size tire, but his tires were the ones he uses for horse trailers and he guaranteed me I wouldn't have trouble. (All 4 new tires out the door for just under $350. No kidding!!) He said the tires I had were barely rated for the trailer's weight and that I needed a tire rated for a heavier load. The ones he gave me are several load ratings higher which is what I really needed. I'll check the brand and rating later and post it for you.

I just bought a previously owned (but almost never used) 2016 Crusader 5th wheel and I'm going to take it to him for all new tires as soon as I pick it up. I think I'm also going to add a tire pressure monitoring system to the trailer tires on the new-to-me trailer.
kpkenn4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #9

The number one problem the retired Chief has is the Towmax and Goodyear Marathons are both Chinese made tires. I would not run either of those brands around the block on anything other than a manure spreader. Go find yourself a good brand of tire such as the Maxxis or Sailun in your size. Our 5th wheel came with the Towmax which I replaced with the Maxxis 8008 after 250 miles. The Maxxis tires now have around 7000 miles on them without any problem.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkenn4242 View Post
I have had a lot of problems with tires on 3 different Forest River products I have had - starting with 2 different Rockwood Roos and with my current Flagstaff Classic. Good Year paid for damages to my first blow out that did considerable damage. The last time I was in the middle of farmland outside of South Hill, Virginia and blew 2 tires an hour apart. I ended up having a farm tire store out in the middle of the country giving me all new tires. He put on the same size tire, but his tires were the ones he uses for horse trailers and he guaranteed me I wouldn't have trouble. (All 4 new tires out the door for just under $350. No kidding!!) He said the tires I had were barely rated for the trailer's weight and that I needed a tire rated for a heavier load. The ones he gave me are several load ratings higher which is what I really needed. I'll check the brand and rating later and post it for you.

I just bought a previously owned (but almost never used) 2016 Crusader 5th wheel and I'm going to take it to him for all new tires as soon as I pick it up. I think I'm also going to add a tire pressure monitoring system to the trailer tires on the new-to-me trailer.
As to the tire pressure monitoring system, go with TST 507 Flow through system. I really believe this system "saved my bacon" Saturday when the tire popped. As soon as the air started down I got an audible alert and was able to pull over immediately and get out of traffic in I-85 south of Auburn, Alabama.

Tags
2014, crusader, tire, tires