Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #11

Go with the Maxxis, load range D. No need for E's.
The C-rated tires that come with these campers are both cheap and over-loaded. We replaced ours as soon as we got it home.
And do put steel valve stems in, just in case you want to add a tire pressure monitoring system. The screw-on sensors are pretty heavy.
Trying to save a few bucks by going with the cheaper marathons is probably not worth it. Buy the best available, and travel worry-free!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Senior Moment

Thanks to everyone who replied, I have decided to go with the Maxxis D rated tires. I have read nothing but great reviews on this brand.

Again thank you, this forum rocks.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Most rubber "snap-in" valves such as TR-413 are rated for a Max cold inflation of 60 psi so LR-D and higher demand replacement. I would suggest bolt in metal valves for any application of 50 psi or higher to be on safe side. metal stems can handle TpMS sensors and will not bend and fatigue like standard passenger car rubber valves can.
I would also suggest that all rubber grommets, o-rings and other parts of the valve bodies or valve caps be replaced along with the valve core whenever you get new tires.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #14

I have 2013 Solera (on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis) with 16" rims. It came with Flexair extenders installed on the duals. I have purchased a tpms for the Solera, but frankly do not trust installing on the plastic Flexair extenders. I would like to install bolt-on valves on both front and rear axles. Recommended pressure on door sill is 61psi.

My question is: has anyone else with a Solera installed bolt-on valves on Sprinter with duals? I would like to use the one piece extended length valves so as not to need separate extenders, but am unsure what I need. Since some are bent, some are straight, and some are C-shape, I'm confused. And the rubber stem on the Front tires is too short! I would like to be able to shop for what I need online, and take them to an installer locally who has quoted me $20/tire to dismount and install them.

Any help out there?
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Senior Moment

Ok going with the Maxxis tires, discount tire has them in E rating, will be installed in the morning, now I feel better about upcoming trip to Colorado Springs, and Santa Fe.

I know D rated would have been sufficient but E rated are what they had, so not
sure if I should air them up to the max of 80 lbs or not, running on Rockwood 8289ws. I will be using tst 507 monitor system.

Any thoughts on air pressure..??
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
Senior Moment

Oh and by the way, thanks to everyone on this forum I will have them balanced, and will install metal valve stems.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport View Post
Ok going with the Maxxis tires, discount tire has them in E rating, will be installed in the morning, now I feel better about upcoming trip to Colorado Springs, and Santa Fe.

sure if I should air them up to the max of 80 lbs or not, running on Rockwood 8289ws. I will be using tst 507 monitor system.

Would certainly run them at least at 70#, otherwise you might get some excessive heat build up. Your TST 507 system will tell you. Might experiment with 70# one day and 80# the next provided the ambient temps were similar and see what difference the 10# makes. Pay attention to what is happening inside the trailer at 80#, it might be too rough.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport View Post

If you have aluminum rims, they are probably only rated for 65 psi, which would be lots anyway.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
If you should ever buy TPMS, you will need S.S. stems.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post

If you have aluminum rims, they are probably only rated for 65 psi, which would be lots anyway.
So running them at 65 won't have any negative effect on the tires ?