Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #21

Been very happy with my maxxis tires. Replaced the trail express junk after finding the rears were low on tread due to axle problems. Went up a load range as well. The stiffer tires seem to tow better...it could also be the axle repair. Purchased from amazon free shipping and no tax! Took a chance on the date codes...turns out they were less than 4 months old.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #22

Less air pressure equals more sidewall flex- which leads to increased heat build up - which leads to possible sidewall failure- the real key is weighing your rigs and seeing how much weight is actually on the axles.

My unit weighed out at 7500 lbs on the axles and I put my Maxxis E tires at the full 80 lbs (and aluminum wheels generally have a weight rating cast into the rear of the wheel- mine were rated at 2150 lbs each)--and pulling a fiver at over 65 is crazy - think stopping distance in an emergency!!

Just my 2 cents- Larry
kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #23

Your e load rated tires can carry their max load at 65 psi. U can run 80 which helps with heat dissipation and tire deflection though u won't be going over 70 mph I hope. The rubber stems I was referring too are called hi pressure stems. Not the passenger valve stem. Tr413 refers to the stem size and length BTW. Maxxis is what I would choose also as the marathon is now made in china and is inferior to the Maxxis which wasn't always the case
jnscoronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport View Post
While looking over the 5th wheel this morning, I noticed what looks like slight blistering on a couple of the tires, This is a Rockwood 8289ws, came off line in March of this year, and has the trail express c rated tires, with about 1500 miles on them, keep them aired up at 50 psi cold, and use the tst 507 to monitor psi and temps.

I am taking a trip middle of July to Colorado and New Mexico and am concerned about running them that far and blowouts. My first choice would be Maxxis but seem to be hard to find locally and online run 157 each. 2nd choice would be Goodyear Marathons, that I can purchase online for about 110 each,

Question is I will go to at least D rated tires, but can I move up to E rated without changing out the rims ? and also any recommendation on where to find good value on Either of these tires brands.
I have the same unit, change your tires before you go. I went with Marathon D rated. Your rims are only good to 65 PSI which will be D rated. Had the same tires on mine. The load rating of the Trial express are like right at the total load within 100lbs of it. I'm not saying you can overload but you will have a much better tire. I keep mine inflated somewhere between 60 and 63 psi which gets me up to about 2300 lbs, I just feel a lot safer with that margin built in.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #25

Can someone please explain what the issue is with the rims being only rated at a certain psi? What would happen if you would say run a "E" rated tire at 80 psi on a rim rated for "D" at 65 psi? That would help those of us who do not understand why the rating of the rim matters. Thanks.

2012 Sandstorm 34ft 5th Wheel Toy Hauler 3215
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed
speters53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #26

That's like asking what would happen if you exceed the maximum towing capacity of your towing vehicle by 30 percent. The rims are rated for a reason, just like your tow vehicle. What the exact reason is may differ by the rim and/or manufacturer, including the failure mode.
rbneron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #27

So, let me rephrase my question: if someone is simply upping tire rating for peace of mind by having more plys, what would happen to the rim if the load is the same as before (not what the new tire can handle, but what you would normally have with the old tire) but the pressure is now 80 psi? Will the rim break? Will the tire pop off the rim? What could happen to the rim?

Thanks.

2012 Sandstorm 34ft 5th Wheel Toy Hauler 3215
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed
speters53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #28

S peeters, If you look up etrailer web site it will explain it pretty good. They recommend to inflate your tires to CPSI not under. You would need to inflate your tires to 80 psi. That could be a pretty bounce ride for it. For your 6 spoke rim max is 65 lbs per the manufacturer. If you look at the rims on a lets say 37' XLR trailer they have 8 spoke to hold the weight at 80 psi. If you deflate the tire to your weight you will be running really low that will cause heat built up and chances for a blow out. As I said I do not know that much but I would caution against going over the rating of the rim. Like I said in an earlier post I went up to the rim max that they tested. Which put me at D rated. That gives me like 600lbs load different even thou I'm still at the max gross rate of the trailer. In my opinion two more ply is not going to help you. But That's all I know, check ETRAILER for your answer.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
How can you determine what the rating is of your rims? I currently have D rated tires and when I buy new would like to upgrade to a E.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
How can you determine what the rating is of your rims? I currently have D rated tires and when I buy new would like to upgrade to a E.
Lloydg, The rim is either stamped on the back or inside with the max PSI. depending if they are steel or alloy where it will be located. I have the same unit as the person who started the thread, I just got new tires, so I know his rating also. Someone also posted a site that you could match your rim to not long ago. believe me I really the last person to know except I just went through it.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Lloydg, The rim is either stamped on the back or inside with the max PSI. depending if they are steel or alloy where it will be located. I have the same unit as the person who started the thread, I just got new tires, so I know his rating also.
Do you mean that if I can't find it on the back of the rim I will have to remove a tire to find out?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #32

Yes.
Or have a tire shop do it for you.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #33

Actually this was discussed at length in some thread here. I think it said there there may be no marking on some aluminum wheels and you just have to find them on the manufacturer's website to find out what the rating is.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
Do you mean that if I can't find it on the back of the rim I will have to remove a tire to find out?
Lloydg, I found mine by the web site of the rim. Mine had a www. web address on it. Then it went by the bolts and spokes if I remember right. I do think it is the law that the manufacturer stamp the max PSI somewhere on the rim. I remember Herk's was stamped on the rim but his was steel rims. If I remember right. most of the time an alloy rim will be on the inside. here is a web site for mine but yours might be different but you will get an idea. www.series06.com it will explane the PSI by bolt and spoke pattern. just click on the link. Hope it helps you

Old 11-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Bottom line, to answer your question, if your rims are rated for 50# and you inflate to 65 or 70, you are risking a rim failure which could mean it just splits if it is a steel rim. There is no doubt a safety factor built into the rims, but, "it's not nice to fool Mother Nature". If it is an alum wheel they could just break and IMO would be more dangerous as the break would no doubt involve pieces of the rim being propelled like a grenade. If you have the 15" 06 alum wheels, they are rated for 65# so you can go to a LR D tire.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Bottom line, to answer your question, if your rims are rated for 50# and you inflate to 65 or 70, you are risking a rim failure which could mean it just splits if it is a steel rim. There is no doubt a safety factor built into the rims, but, "it's not nice to fool Mother Nature". If it is an alum wheel they could just break and IMO would be more dangerous as the break would no doubt involve pieces of the rim being propelled like a grenade. If you have the 15" 06 alum wheels, they are rated for 65# so you can go to a LR D tire.
Thanks OC I think that is the original question to begin with, It's about time you chimed in. I would never inflate mine to 80 lbs PSI for that reason. and went with the Marathon D rating. Hope your traveling is going okay...... I'm still in this ice box they call Virginia...

Old 11-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Thanks OC I think that is the original question to begin with, It's about time you chimed in. I would never inflate mine to 80 lbs PSI for that reason. and went with the Marathon D rating. Hope your traveling is going okay...... I'm still in this ice box they call Virginia...
Was 24° when we left Concord yesterday morning, got to Daytona and it was only 74°, was expecting at least 76°+.