Old 06-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Senior Moment

Tires, Tires, Tires

While looking over the 5th wheel this morning, I noticed what looks like slight blistering on a couple of the tires, This is a Rockwood 8289ws, came off line in March of this year, and has the trail express c rated tires, with about 1500 miles on them, keep them aired up at 50 psi cold, and use the tst 507 to monitor psi and temps.

I am taking a trip middle of July to Colorado and New Mexico and am concerned about running them that far and blowouts. My first choice would be Maxxis but seem to be hard to find locally and online run 157 each. 2nd choice would be Goodyear Marathons, that I can purchase online for about 110 each,

Question is I will go to at least D rated tires, but can I move up to E rated without changing out the rims ? and also any recommendation on where to find good value on Either of these tires brands.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Maxxis or Goodyear Marathons are what rose to the top of my research. I opted for Maxxis bought and shipped directly to me from discounttiredirect.com. I then took them to a local tire shop for mounting (no balancing but in hindsight, I should have had it done).

Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport View Post
Question is I will go to at least D rated tires, but can I move up to E rated without changing out the rims ? and also any recommendation on where to find good value on Either of these tires brands.
Should not be a problem. The data sticker will show the size tires and the rim size/width. If you're upgrading be sure the new tire will fit that same rim size/width.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post

Should not be a problem. The data sticker will show the size tires and the rim size/width. If you're upgrading be sure the new tire will fit that same rim size/width.
That's where I'm confused. The tires will be same size 225-75-15, but load range c max pressure is 50psi, load range d max is 65 psi, and load range e is 80psi. Not sure rims can handle the 80psi.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

Psi may not be the deciding factor-I just upgraded my load C tires to the Maxxis load E and found out that the Sumec wheels on my Flagstaff 8528 are rated at 2150 lbs capacity - the tire shop (Discount Tires) was more concerned about that than the 80 psi the tires have in them...
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopy kat View Post
Psi may not be the deciding factor-I just upgraded my load C tires to the Maxxis load E and found out that the Sumec wheels on my Flagstaff 8528 are rated at 2150 lbs capacity - the tire shop (Discount Tires) was more concerned about that than the 80 psi the tires have in them...
Curious, what's the GVWR on your Flagstaff.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Anacortesians

If you can get to a Les Schwab tire store, go see them. They are very knowledgeable on RV needs ( at least our local store was). If you're out of their geographical coverage area, you need to get recommendations about other tire dealers who are RV cognisant.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #8

Load Range "D" will be more than enough to run on your Rockwood. They have a maximum load rating of 2540# each which is even way more than your Rockwood's GVWR.
When it comes to ST tires, you get what you pay for; go with the Maxxis.
Be sure to have them balanced and install steel valve stems.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #9

Rockport--my GVWR for the Flagstaff is 10,000 and pin weight at 2000 with the Reese Revolution pin box.

And yes-I did have the steel valve stems installed and tires balanced---Out The Door price of $677.00 for the Maxxis "E" tires.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #10

rockport, your rims will have no problem handling a heavier duty tire. the maxxis 225/75r15 comes in both a 8-ply (load range d) and a 10-ply (load range e) you can install either one on that wheel.

As for the steel valve stems I usually opt to go with rubber. just because they are steel doesn't mean that you don't have to change the rubber grommets in them every time you change your tires...ie. every 4-6 years.

some lazy tire installers wont replace the grommets figuring they don't have too. rubber stems are easy to check. use the rubber/brass combination stems refered to as "high pressure valve stems".

There was a batch of stems that Dill let onto the market a few years ago that were blowing. they forgot to add the anti-oxidizing compound to them according to their publicity guy and ended up forking over big bucks to the thousands of damage claims resulting from that.

Been in the tire business since 1989 and see no end in sight just in case you were wondering.