Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Scotsman

Tires! Tires! Tires!

Hi

First time posting. We are getting ready to pick up our new 2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS at the end of Jan. I've been reading a lot about the poor quality of tires that I can expect to have on the 5th wheel when I pick it up. It was interesting to read a post that mentioned that Forest River would give you a rebate for the tires and you could replace them with a better make. Still getting info from my dealer about what tire they are using. Ridgeway tires from Lionshead is what I was told will be on the 5th wheel. Don't know a thing about this brand but I'm sure that it will be cheap. Has anyone gone through this issue with a new 5th wheel. Sure would like to hear what other RVer's have experienced. I can't beleive you spend $30,000.00 on a 5th Wheel and to save a few hundred dollars you get tires that our junk. Thanks for listening.

Scotsman
Ontario, Canada
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

You naturally can do what you want, but I won't pull another new camper off the dealer's lot unless it has GY Marathons on it which is how we towed our 2012 Flagstaff off the lot, even though they were 1 year old and had at least 5,000 miles on them.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You naturally can do what you want, but I won't pull another new camper off the dealer's lot unless it has GY Marathons on it which is how we towed our 2012 Flagstaff off the lot, even though they were 1 year old and had at least 5,000 miles on them.
GY Marathons or Maxxis m8008, for me.

Though, I've never heard that FR would actually give a rebate. Don't expect much- when I got my reimbursement for a bad tire (Akuret), it was pretty low.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #4

Ridgeway is a new brand to me never heard of them. FR used to put Trail Express from Lionshead. I don't think that they will give you a rebate on them. The question was asked to the manager of the line at a factory tour. He stated that if they offered an upgrade it would be like they didn't put the best on already !!! Well Dah! we all know they are junk. When I had a blow out Lionhead wanted me to send the tire to them, then let me know if they would reimburse me. Now that's a joke, I said forget it. Bought 4 new GY Marathons "D" rated and went on my way. What OC did was made them take the GY off his trade in and put on his GY from that trailer I don't know if they gave him credit or not. I'm sure he can answer that, but like him I love them Marathons.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #5

FWIW...I talked to a Cooper Tire engineer dude yesterday... I told him that the next time they had a meeting and the opportunity presented itself....PLEASE TELL THEM TO MAKE AMERICAN TRAILER tires again.... I said people will pay 30% more for GOOD trailer tires... He said he would bring it up.... Maybe we should be telling more US companies our thoughts...
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #6

PS: I just e-mailed Cooper Corporate
Old 12-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #7

We had just put 4 new"E" Marathons,balanced with brass stems, on our old trailer 1 month before we started looking at new trailers. We setteled on the 315wp, it was on the lot and one of the first things I noticed was that 2 of the tires were about 50% flat. The first thing in my head was "did the transporter pull it that way from Goshen?" If they did, I could write those two tires off before we even start negotiations. Since both the trailers had 5200# axles under them,part of the deal was that they would change out the wheels and tires from my trade to the new one.They did it without any hesitation,except for the service manager who just smiled and nodded at me.The trade now has new aluminum wheels and new "D" tires on it which I am sure they used as a selling point when it hit the lot!Me,I am much more confident with the new rig sitting on the refinished steel Dex-wheels which I had up graded with SS trim rings and new hub covers.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #8

WELL I tried...

Thank you for your interest in Cooper tires. We are sorry we cannot assist you at this time, we no longer manufacture or market the Cooper trailer tires. There are no plans to start producing them again.

Pam
Consumer Quality Systems
Cooper Tire & Rubber Co.
1-800-854-6288
M-F 8-5 est.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:19 PM
To: COOPERINFO
Subject: Trailer tires

Hello,

I am a small voice in the world of tires and vehicles. I KNOW that there are a lot of unhappy people in the camping world due to the lack of quality in trailer tires. I read on Forest River Forums about tire failures and cheap tires. I am aware of tire training on proper loading and inflation... but the Chinese tires are not making it. Does Cooper make or plan to make domestic 15 and 16" trailer tires? There is a strong market out there for them and price isn't the issue. Please let me know if there are tires in production or plans thereof.

Tags
tire, tires