Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

That looks a lot better...should still get the complete set of weights when you can.

As I mentioned before, the weight carrying limits of the camper are defined by the axles limits...8000 lbs. The OEM tires and rims exceed that, though many upgrade tires of load range D when replacing. That gives you some safety factor but doesn't change any limits.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #22

I have been working on the idea that I wanted the safety factor that dave just mentioned but having a terrible time at my tire dealer. At first told me they could not find the appropriate rim to fit. Went to another local dealer who offered almost what I was looking for - "standard" 5 spacing 6" wide rim which came with my new 5er - except it was 7" wide! My original dealer refused to mount the load
D new tires on the 2150# rims citing company policy (liability). Fortunately when trying to fit the 7" rims, one of the techs has a TT and he recognized the brand of FR supplied and they think the company does make the proper fitting rims in 2500# instead of the 2150 original FR rims. Waiting for the to arrive in next 2days. YES I know I am limited to the 8000# axle limit. Yes I want the safety factor only! Leaving a week from this coming Saturday to attend my first rally - down on the bayou

Thanks for all the help.
L'il Red Wagon 6.5 bed
bobby75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #23

oh happy days

heavier rims (2500 +/-) and load range D tires have now been installed and inflated to dealers recommendation - 65# after a long discussion. All understand that the axle capacity is 8000# and cannot be exceeded. We have kept watch on the weather down toward to La through IN, KY, TN, MS to "down on the bayou" rally with a little more peace of mind. I will beginning to report our progress on Sunday from south of Indianapolis. See ya there
L'il Red Wagon 6.5 bed
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Lots of interesting numbers. Shows that assuming that mylti-axle trailers can simply divide the total TT weight to get the axle weight is almost certainly to give misleading numbers.

The other thing not covered is the idea that the load on each axle is balanced side to side 50/50. Based on actual scale numbers it is not unusual to see many axles off balance by as much as 10% to 20%.

RE what inflation to run. There is hard engineering data to support never running less than the inflation number associated with the max load molded on the tire sidewall. If you want the details you can read HERE.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #25

Thank you for the information, Roger. It appears that the dealer was really looking out for me. He insisted that company policy was to refuse to mount load range D tires on a rim designed to take only less inflation than allowed with "D" tires.
Also he insisted on maximum inflation on the newly installed "D" tires. Due to some limitations at our local scales they cannot weigh individual axle sides, but the big guys are along the interstate so I will be getting those weights soon.

Bob

L'il Red Wagon 6.5 bed

Tags
tire, tires, weight, wheel