Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

Question To Tireman9

Hi Tireman9
My new CC Silverback 29RE is coming with Constancy tires. I am thinking about having my dealer replace them with a better brand, I'm. Not sure of the size or load rating (trailer is on order and is being built as we speak). This is my first 5th wheel and towing any RV trailer (drove a semi, but that was 20+ years ago). I'm. Just being cautious, trying not to have any issues if it is something I can remedy up front. After reading your posts I really respect your opinion. So if there are any brands that you can recommend I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks RonG
2016 Ram Delmonico Red 2500 CC 4x4 6.7L Cummins
with rear air suspension 68RFE 6spd Auto 3:42 axle
Gvwr=10,000 lb GCWR=23,300 lb payload
Lilredram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #2

To Tireman9

Guess I'm first. I to have these tires on our 33IK we have used our unit heavy over the past year with more than 10,000 miles on the tires. While no one can see inside of the tire, they still appear outside to look good with normal tread wear and no noticeable issues. Recently had them rebalanced during the state inspection.

With that said our first unit a 2010 Wildcat had similar cheaper tires from new that lasted two seasons, while on a trip to the Great Lakes all 4 were replaced, they basically feel apart. I will probably use our current tires for this summer season but will replace them before our winter trip just to be safe.

Am sure Tireman9 will have some good recommendations
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

My 29RE also came with the Constancy 188's. They are one of the cheaper china bombs. Horrible reviews. The 29RE is a fairly heavy trailer at 13,000 lbs +/- so I ordered a set of Maxxis 8008 tires from Discount Tire Direct. $157 each delivered. Ordered Monday afternoon and they were sitting in my driveway the next day. The size is ST235/80R16 E rated. I sold the Constancy tires for $200 to a guy who put them on an equipment trailer. I was glad to see them go. If possible, get them to install a set of Goodyear G614's.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
My 29RE also came with the Constancy 188's. They are one of the cheaper china bombs. Horrible reviews. The 29RE is a fairly heavy trailer at 13,000 lbs +/- so I ordered a set of Maxxis 8008 tires from Discount Tire Direct. $157 each delivered. Ordered Monday afternoon and they were sitting in my driveway the next day. The size is ST235/80R16 E rated. I sold the Constancy tires for $200 to a guy who put them on an equipment trailer. I was glad to see them go. If possible, get them to install a set of Goodyear G614's.

Cedar Creek will not put the G614 on, they don't even have them as a option now. Cedar Creek will do anything to save a buck. It looks like they would at least you have them for a option. Bighorn does and Montana too,

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Commercial Member

I am really hesitant to try and name a tire brand for anyone to use. Since there is no such thing as a fail proof tire, I think that as soon as I named brand XYZ, someone would have a failure and it would be my fault.

What I can offer are some suggestions when making tire selection.
1. I have a post in my blog "Best Tire" I suggest you read that and its companion "Best Trailer Tire

2. When looking at tire brands you may want to ask yourself if the company that made the tires has enough confidence in them to:
A. Place their name on the tire sidewall
B. To offer a meaningful warranty (i.e. more than a few weeks or months)
C. How do you find a local store or dealer that sells the tire brand you are considering? Is there a dealer network or are the outlets just folks that sell whatever brand they happen to get a deal on?
D. Who is standing behind the warranty is a most important question.

3. You need to understand that there are a good number of tires made with what appears to me to be one objective i.e. Low Cost. Now for some products that might be OK and you make the judgment to trade off good performance and durability for low initial cost.
Lets look at an example: Suppose we work doing home repairs and were in the market for an electric drill to have in our RV. Now we have a name brand HD drill we use on the job when the drill has to work every time or we would loose time and money on the job and it gets lots of use but in the RV you might only drill a couple holes each year.
Would you buy another name brand drill for $70 or might you feel the on no-name brand drill that is on sale for $9 is good enough for your planned use. After all what are the negative consequences if the $9 drill fails?

Rather than making the decision just on price how about ensuring your tires can work reliably for the job you want them to do which is carry the load safely down the road at 65 mph for 3 to 5 years.

You need to ensure you have a reasonable reserve load. (Load capacity - Measured tire load).
I cover weight and minimum inflation in my blog and without knowing the actual numbers we can do nothing better than guess.

I have a new post scheduled for the 19th on "How to Maximize tire life with minimum effort" that covers the basic and minimum steps needed to make an informed decision.

I know not what you were hoping for but it's really the best I can do without someone misinterpreting the answer.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #6

Hi Davidg
Who did you get to install them? Did you fill them with nitrogen or just air? What pressure are you runnig? Did you replace the spare to or just the 4 on the ground? I'm new to all of this just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks RonG
2016 Ram Delmonico Red 2500 CC 4x4 6.7L Cummins
with rear air suspension 68RFE 6spd Auto 3:42 axle
Gvwr=10,000 lb GCWR=23,300 lb payload
Lilredram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilredram View Post
Hi Davidg
Who did you get to install them? Did you fill them with nitrogen or just air? What pressure are you runnig? Did you replace the spare to or just the 4 on the ground? I'm new to all of this just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks RonG
If free you can get the Nitrogen. If there is any cost I would skip it as most of the claims remind me a bit of snake oil.

Pressure on trailers should be the tire sidewall pressure BUT you also need to confirm whth actual scale weights you are not overloading your tires like a majority of RV owners are.

Check out my blog as a resource for tire related information.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 04-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilredram View Post
Hi Davidg

Thanks RonG
I used a local mom & pop tire shop. Since air is 80% nitrogen, I think it's a hoax. 80 psi. No, I just bought 4, although I considered 5. I figure since the original spare is not old and hasn't been on the road yet, it will serve as a spare for a year or so. You are doing the best first step by becoming informed. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #9

After 5 blowouts on Towmax tires, [China Bombs] I replaced all 4 with Maxxis M8008 tires and haven't looked back since. Also, I carry two spares, one Maxxis, and one Hercules.
There will never be another Chinese tire on anything I drive, I don't care who's name is on the side wall. JMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1699.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	104818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	104819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	104820  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #10

Per Tireman9's plant code site (Tire DOT Plant Codes – Sorted by Plant Code - Tire Safety Group

Maxxis are made in Thailand. Not exactly China, but....

Manufacturer
MAXXIS INTERNATIONAL (THAILAND) CO., LTD.

Plant Code

City
TASIT SUB-DISTRICT, PLUAK DIST

State
RAYONG

Country
THAILAND

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Blackhat6mike

Did you file a complaint for each failed tire with NHTSA? If we (RV community) don't file complaints then the quality of tires will never get improved.

Good descriptive pictures of Tread Separation of radial tire.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I used a local mom & pop tire shop. Since air is 80% nitrogen, I think it's a hoax. 80 psi. No, I just bought 4, although I considered 5. I figure since the original spare is not old and hasn't been on the road yet, it will serve as a spare for a year or so. You are doing the best first step by becoming informed. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Where does your spare mount? If not under the RV but on back bumper it is imperative that you have a light color (white preferred) cover for the tire. I have seen tires have belt/tread separations with zero miles use.
I understand the technical reasons which aren't important now other than to say the failure can be delayed or prevented with proper steps.

Tags
tire