Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
What legs are you talking about?
The legs on the stabilizer jacks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stab Leg reinforcments.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	124338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00458.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	124339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reinforced Stab Jack Leg.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	124340  
Old 10-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Unless we're talking about two different things, the whole point of the Bal X-Chocks is to provide stabilization and keep the wheels from rocking back and forth. It's not to replace traditional wheel chocks.

I don't have a copy of the piece of paper that came in the box and I tried to find it on line. Can't find a copy of the actual instructions, but there's plenty of discussions around the inter-web about them. To include a thread here.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cks-46889.html

Now, if you're talking Roto Chocks or these chocks, also made by Bal BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry then that's different.

Mike
The Bal XChocks and the RotoChoks are both based on the same principle of locking the wheels. BTW, Rotochoks are out of business. www.rotochok.com/
Old 10-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #23

[QUOTE=seakayaker

2) The jiggly motion you get when someone enters the TT or moves around in it.

Seakayaker[/QUOTE]

We use DIY x-chocks and they do help with some of the front-to-back movement.
For up-and-down movement, we shore up the steps and also use a bottle jack under the frame where the bunk beds are. Shoring the steps prevents the rocking from going in/out the door; the bottle jack stops most of the jigglies from kids in bed and walking around.
All work well together for our trailer.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #24

yes the bal X chocks work get the double set and use them on both sides less then a minute to install
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

X-chocks... 1st thing on.... last thing off at campsite.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #26
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X-chocks... 1st thing on.... last thing off at campsite.
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #27

x chocks help

I tried with and without X chocks on our old TT and there was a noticeable improvement with them. We use them on our current 5th wheel but we haven't done a trial without. I also added JT Strong arms all around. There is still some lateral wiggle but not much. I use an electric drill for the X chocks and they mount in seconds.

Your loss of signal with modest movement would suggest that something might be loose in the satellite system (connection or mount).
Old 10-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #28

I have been using the XChocks for several years now and I like them they do help with the movement. Be careful after leveling the trailer go and retighten the XChocks as they will be loose at least they are with my trailer.
STEWARDORNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I use XChocks and standard Rubber Chocks as well. Both are needed IMHO. Parking a grade or is a sloping campsite why take chances.With my stab jacks in rear (stock, no need to modify) Xchocks and JT strong arms my fifth wheel is rock solid.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEWARDORNG View Post
I have been using the XChocks for several years now and I like them they do help with the movement. Be careful after leveling the trailer go and retighten the XChocks as they will be loose at least they are with my trailer.
I chock with regular chocks, unhitch then level and put Xchocks in. Works for me.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #31

I use the x chocks and like them alot. If you are on a level site, they probably will be fine instead of standard wheel chocks. But, there are plenty of examples, even folks on this site, that believe the manufacturer when they say use them in conjunction with standard wheel chocks.

To each their own I guess. I use both, even on level ground. Last on, after trailer is level (per directions) and first off, prior to hooking up, also per the directions in the box.

There's enough first hand experience from others where they didn't hold on non-level surfaces and folks actually had their trailers start rolling away.

Just google Bal X-chocks instructions. While I can't find the actual instructions that came with the box, you will see all kinds of comments and threads about actual experience with them on less than level surfaces.

Mike
Old 10-31-2016, 04:36 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I use XChocks and standard Rubber Chocks as well. Both are needed IMHO. Parking a grade or is a sloping campsite why take chances.With my stab jacks in rear (stock, no need to modify) Xchocks and JT strong arms my fifth wheel is rock solid.
But won't use awning poles.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:36 PM   #33

Quote:
I use the x chocks and like them alot. If you are on a level site, they probably will be fine instead of standard wheel chocks. But, there are plenty of examples, even folks on this site, that believe the manufacturer when they say use them in conjunction with standard wheel chocks.

To each their own I guess. I use both, even on level ground. Last on, after trailer is level (per directions) and first off, prior to hooking up, also per the directions in the box.

There's enough first hand experience from others where they didn't hold on non-level surfaces and folks actually had their trailers start rolling away.

Just google Bal X-chocks instructions.

Mike
X2 had my fifth wheel roll in the driveway with xchock only.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...There's enough first hand experience from others where they didn't hold on non-level surfaces and folks actually had their trailers start rolling away.

Just google Bal X-chocks instructions.

Mike
If they don't hold on unlevel surfaces, you are not tightening them enough. I can't move my 5th wheel when they are installed. I use them to check to make sure the pin is locked and have never moved it an inch no matter how hard I try.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #35
rbq

Have used the X-chocks for 5 years now. No damage to tires, unless you forget the remove them. I drove off with one still attached. It must have flown off somewhere. Haven't noticed any damage to alignment or tires though. Don't take long to install or remove. Tighten them up good & there will be little movement of the trailer. I have found that after several days I may have to tighten up the stabilizers due to ground settling. This helps stop the movement.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #36

When we had our TT we used the BAL X-chocks and loved them. We also added one of these under the frame and it was stable as heck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:39 PM   #37
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If they don't hold on unlevel surfaces, you are not tightening them enough. I can't move my 5th wheel when they are installed. I use them to check to make sure the pin is locked and have never moved it an inch no matter how hard I try.
I'm with OC on this one.
I can not move my 5th wheel with the x-chocks installed. I've tried just to see and like OC, I put them to task at every hook-up to do a pin locked test.

Possibly, if you are using the E X T E N D E D version, I could envision the chance of them slipping out as the distance between the tires would be great enough to bend them or contort them out of position but on mine I have to collapse them (regular ones) as tight as possible to get them in and once tight, they are not coming out!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #38

X-chocks are... chocks.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickem66 View Post
When we had our TT we used the BAL X-chocks and loved them. We also added one of these under the frame and it was stable as heck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yup.. Use these too. Work pretty good.

Mike
Old 10-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm with OC on this one.
I can not move my 5th wheel with the x-chocks installed. I've tried just to see and like OC, I put them to task at every hook-up to do a pin locked test.

Possibly, if you are using the E X T E N D E D version, I could envision the chance of them slipping out as the distance between the tires would be great enough to bend them or contort them out of position but on mine I have to collapse them (regular ones) as tight as possible to get them in and once tight, they are not coming out!
I do have the extended versions... So, maybe the instructions that came with them are only for extended version vice the narrower regular versions.

I don't know, but there's enough folks out there that have had issues with them, that to me, using regular ole standard wheel chocks with the X-chocks only takes 30 seconds more, and makes sense to me, so I'll keep using them the way the manufacturer specifies.

If you guys are using the regular ones for a pin lock test with your fiver and they aren't moving, then I suppose one can't argue with that either.

Mike