Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Not in NJ! I don't think I've ever seen a tire monkey use a torque wrench here in the many tire shops I've been to. Here, you're fortunate if they replace all the lug nuts!
You're allowed to tighten your own lug nuts in NJ? I'm surprised.. I know it's an issue to pump your own Gas in some areas.. LOL [emoji6]
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #122

Quote:
I will do my part to keep this going, even though I have nothing to contribute.

Do I hear 125.....going once, going twice.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post

Many I have been to use the air wrnch. I don't know if they are calibrated or not.
They can't be. The only way you can control the torque using an impact gun is to use torque sticks.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #124

Torque wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Yep...I actually watch and talk to the person installing the wheels to make sure they use a torque wrench at the proper torque.

Do you watch them go look up the torque specs for each make and model they put new tires on as well. If torquing lug nuts was as essential as this forum makes it out to be. Then car manufacturers would place them next to the jacks and charge 20% over their price on every car.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Do you watch them go look up the torque specs for each make and model they put new tires on as well. If torquing lug nuts was as essential as this forum makes it out to be. Then car manufacturers would place them next to the jacks and charge 20% over their price on every car.
I tell them what they need to be!

Discount tire/Americas tire actually puts the torque value on the shop ticket so that the installer knows what the torque is before hand. They have it all in their data base.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #126

Dimensional Metrology

Last day as a Calibration Metrologist! Even Snap-On 2% to 4% clicker style fails when new! Not good enough for GM. We test & recalibrate as found. Anyways I retired today. Clockwise is calibrated, not CCW, at least on clickers, only dial types. Newer products lug nuts are at higher torque than older axles. Refer to the axle supplier for proper pound/feet. Yes load is stated before the distance, like Newton/ meters. Try 110 ftLbs (old school I know). And always check after changing a tire after 20 or more miles. Former CCT (Certified Calibration Technician). Nothing I said is sanctioned by General Motors and is my own option.
Diver Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Last day as a Calibration Metrologist! Even Snap-On 2% to 4% clicker style fails when new! Not good enough for GM. We test & recalibrate as found. Anyways I retired today. Clockwise is calibrated, not CCW, at least on clickers, only dial types. Newer products lug nuts are at higher torque than older axles. Refer to the axle supplier for proper pound/feet. Yes load is stated before the distance, like Newton/ meters. Try 110 ftLbs (old school I know). And always check after changing a tire after 20 or more miles. Former CCT (Certified Calibration Technician). Nothing I said is sanctioned by General Motors and is my own option.
I would think GM would be using preset torque drivers, not a torque wrench.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
And congratulations on retirement, I'm a Metrologist as well. Dimensional inspection of machined, welded and fabricated assemblies.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #129
Trailer Park Supervisor

Congrats Diver Dan!!! You made it!!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:39 AM   #130

Quote:
I will do my part to keep this going, even though I have nothing to contribute.
At least you're "honest"??? lol Come on down. Going to Cape Henlopen March 20 for a couple nights just to get the TT in shape for the summer.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #131
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'll have to check my schedule. I'm a bagpiper, and March is the high holy season for me, usually working every weekend, especially that close to St. Patricks's Day.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #132

I am a member of the “torque is important” crowd. I bought a new high end 5th in 2003. Checked lugs with my torque wrench and the “click” occurred. My torque wrench had been tested by the NIST certified metrology lab where I worked. The lab guys gave me a calibration card for set vs. actual. Yes, I always store at minimum torque setting, per the manual.
Checked lug nut torque over many miles, and never went below specified torque (1 click). Stopped while going west into Oklahoma and had a soft tire. Increased pressure, checked it again at next rest area. Low again. Loosened lug nuts with breaker bar, put on spare, was torquing lugs in the star and step manner (50/75/100/etc) and one lug bolt broke off at far less than specified torque. Decided to continue with 7 of 8 studs. Pulled in for fuel about 40 miles later, checked torque and another lug bolt broke off. Fortunately, there was a campground next door. Friday afternoon at 16:45. Called 5th manufacturer, they advised there was a Dexter parts center in OK city. To shorten story, soft tire due to cracked cast aluminum wheel, Dexter logistics manager answered phone at 16:55 and had all my studs, nuts, seals at his house Saturday morning. I did labor. The studs on the other 3 wheels were way over-tightened. I replaced all the lug bolts.
Also, when I was first driving, I went to tire shop (where Dad did all his business) for new tires on my Austin-Healey. Tire monkey broke 3 lugs off, 2 on one wheel of 4 lugs. Shop would do nothing. Dad came with trailer, we took car home, replaced all the lug bolts. That shop lost all his business.
Maybe my Mechanical Engineering degree and a focus on metallurgy/strength of materials has something to do with my torque focus.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #133

Checking an already tightened lug nut with a torque wrench is pretty much worthless since the torque wrench is going to click if the fastener is already tightened to tight.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #134
Trailer Park Supervisor

half worthless. At least you know it's not under tightened!
Old 01-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #135

Quote:
true
Old 01-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #136

Quote:
When one checks the lug nuts 50 miles down the road after a tire replacement, isnt tightness (and not over tightness) what is supposed to be checked?

Cant believe this thread is still going, but I'm still learning from it!
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #137
D W

Quote:
Exactly!,... and if you do back it off and re-torque it every time you'll never know if it is "holding" a prevailing torque or not, until of course you have a catastrophic failure on the highway. The you get an "ah hah" moment.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #138

Of course then there are the old ones. I’ve had this since I was a teenager. Same box too as if you couldn’t tell.
Attached Images

Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #139
Trailer Park Supervisor

That looks like the ones I used on aircraft in the Marines.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minthillbill View Post
Of course then there are the old ones. I’ve had this since I was a teenager. Same box too as if you couldn’t tell.
I've had one of those for 40 yrs, but it's a pain trying to put 140 lb-ft on it pulling from the side while trying to actually see the pointer from straight out. I finally bit the bullet and got a click-type about 5 yrs ago. Makes it a LOT easier.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote