Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #21

Glad to read that they solved this problem to your satisfaction.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #22

An update to the original thread. Picked up the trailer from the local dealer this week after all repairs completed. Happy to report that everyone involved did exactly what they said they would do to get my trailer back in operational status.

Rockwood sent the local dealer two new axle sets and paid for the local dealer to install them and repair the damaged fender wells. After installation the local dealer was still not pleased with the clearance (about 2 inches) so he got with Dexter and Rockwood to have riser kits shipped and installed. I now have almost 5 inches of clearance which more than meets the minimum Dexter recommends (3 inches). Rockwood also partially reimbursed me for the smaller tires I had to buy and shipped me 4 new OEM tires as replacements.

In all I was very impressed with the service especially the local dealer (Giant Recreation World of Melbourne Florida). They treated me like family even though I did not buy the trailer from them.
hehbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
Tee

Any chance you could post some Pics and a part number of these spacers?
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #24
Alleged curmudgeon

Great to hear your problems were addressed!
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #25

tire clearance

Thanks Vern. I haven't done a test drive yet. I had lowered my hitch to accomodate the lower trailer height but will have to readjust the hitch back to what it was before the lift kit install. The spring bars will also have to be readjusted. I now have a respectable 3inches clearance. Will leave for Texas early Nov. Serge
Mac rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #26

I have a 2014 windjammer 3008w with the same problems with the axles. There is about 3/4 inch of clearance from top of tire to the wheel well, took to the dealer this past weekend. There is no doubt that the axles are shot.
Mollydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #27

tire clearance

Hello Mollydog. I just installed a lift kit supplied bu FR and I now have 3in. clearance. I'm not sure this is the correct fix because the axles are at a 90 degree angle and they should be 22 t0 30 degrees. I have a sinking feeling that these axles are not within specs. Will check with Dexter. Will keep you posted. There is certainly some thing fishy for sure. Serge
Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #28

I will not accept a lift kit on axles that have failed . That is putting a bandaid on the problem. I will keep you informed on how this turns out, all I know is I have a brand new trailer that I cannot use not happy happy happy!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #29

Mollydog. My trailer had been at the dealer for almost 2 months and actually ran out of its factory warranty while at the dealer and FR would not cover the labour to install a kit and replace the tires. What a crock. I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I think we all need to do this. This is a very dangerous situation. Love our 3008w but not pleased with the dealer and FR.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #30

Hello Mac rv, feel your pain for sure. We got our 3008w in march 13 my wife and I love this trailer, we been out about 8 times since we got it. I am hoping for a smooth transition for this fix, but I am not optimistic. Keep you posted.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #31

Thanks Mollydog. Serge
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #32

Quote:
I'm not sure this is the correct fix because the axles are at a 90 degree angle and they should be 22 t0 30 degrees.
MacRV, I recently installed a lift on my 8289 that FR sent for the same reasons some others on this thread have dealt with. From the beginning I talked with some people at a custom trailer fab and repair facility here in town that my dealer referred me to. I talked with them about the fact that the trailer runs at about 7500 on the axles and the axle rate is only 4000# each. His response was that that should be correct.

As far as the axle resting at 90° according to the info that Herk posted from Dexter referring to 4000# to 7200# axles they are designed to be at 22° to 35° when unloaded, 90° when loaded and -20° under shock. Mine does rest at 90° but with only 1 1/2 inches of starting clearance it does make contact with the wheel well.

With all that being said I am going to have mine at the repair facility in Millersburg In. the end of this month and this is one of the issues that I plan on talking with them about. I have the lift but if the axles are going to continue to relax I'm going to need more lift.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #33

Hello Jeepman. I contacted Dexter this morning and they requested some photos which I sent. This is a very serious issue for sure. I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA yesterday. With the kit installed I now have 3in. clearance but the torsion arms are all at 90 degrees. My trailer should have a 22.5 degree angle according to David the Dexter warranty rep. Will keep you all posted. Serge
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #34

Update on our 2014 windjammer, got confirmation that dexter is shipping two new axles to our dealer. They will be installing the axles and new lift kit very soon. I have to give kudos to FR and Dexter axle for fixing this problem with the wheel clearance and the rust problem on the axles. I also would like to thank our dealer Bill Thomas Rv in wentzville, mo for going to bat for us.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #35

Hello Mollydog. Glad to hear this. FR has confirmed for me that my axles and the lift kit is correct and I accept this. FR has admitted that they had build issues with some of their trailers and the problem had been corrected. The fix for trailers like mine was a lift kit. Serge
Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollydog View Post
Update on our 2014 windjammer, got confirmation that dexter is shipping two new axles to our dealer. They will be installing the axles and new lift kit very soon. I have to give kudos to FR and Dexter axle for fixing this problem with the wheel clearance and the rust problem on the axles. I also would like to thank our dealer Bill Thomas Rv in wentzville, mo for going to bat for us.
Hi... See you are getting new axles. Do you know what rating they are? Just replacing the 4000's it came with?
Thanks for any info as I have the same problem.

2013 Windjammer 3025
2018 Heartland trail Runner sle 265
2012 GMC 3500 6.6
2011 Razor 800
https://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #37

Replaced with the 4000 they had.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #38

I'm having a similiar problem with my 2013 windjammer with Dexter axles. Had front right tire blow out, then left front blew out as well. Right rear had emergency repair just before it blew. Tires had scraped top of wheel well. Took it to Tampa Spring who said the axle was blown - called Dexter axle who stated that forest river was having a modified recall and deal with them. FR warranty said my model was not one of the recall models and told me to bring it to authorized dealer. They initially stated that whoever changed tires bent the axle. They checked another model on the grounds and axle is supposed to have bend in center. they couldn't find a problem and suggested I have tampa spring fight it out with Dexter axle. Same problem as original post except they arent sending me new axles
Debrob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrob22 View Post
I'm having a similiar problem with my 2013 windjammer with Dexter axles. Had front right tire blow out, then left front blew out as well. Right rear had emergency repair just before it blew. Tires had scraped top of wheel well. Took it to Tampa Spring who said the axle was blown - called Dexter axle who stated that forest river was having a modified recall and deal with them. FR warranty said my model was not one of the recall models and told me to bring it to authorized dealer. They initially stated that whoever changed tires bent the axle. They checked another model on the grounds and axle is supposed to have bend in center. they couldn't find a problem and suggested I have tampa spring fight it out with Dexter axle. Same problem as original post except they arent sending me new axles
What model of Windjammer do you have? FR has a problem and I'll know in a couple weeks how they are going to resolve. An inch clearance between the trailer and tire is not acceptable. So far no blown tires.

2013 Windjammer 3025
2018 Heartland trail Runner sle 265
2012 GMC 3500 6.6
2011 Razor 800
https://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 AM   #40
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrob22 View Post
They initially stated that whoever changed tires bent the axle. They checked another model on the grounds and axle is supposed to have bend in center.
The bend in the axle is called "camber", and if the dealer doesn't know what that is GO TO ANOTHER DEALER!
What's the old expression about knowing the difference between #### and Shinola? It applies here, it seems.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote