Old 07-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Torsion axles and jacking

I've heard that when you need to change a tire on a trailer with Torsion Axles you need to place your jack under the frame and not the axle. On my Rockwood 2504s the frame is 23 inches off the ground and I'd have to go up another 3 or 4 inches to raise a wheel. Wow that's a lot of space for a jack and stacking up a bunch of blocks doesn't exactly feel safe. Ideas?

Old 07-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
I've heard the same thing about torsion axles. I've used a Trailer Aid+ to change 5 different tires on my TT [torsion axles] and don't see or feel any difference in the suspension system. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I will continue to use the Trailer Aid+ till something breaks or the cows come home.
I see no difference it the extra added weight on one axle suspended for a few minutes while being changed and having a blowout that also puts all the weight on one axle. I just can't believe leaf spring suspensions are that superior to torsion axles that would allow you to use a Trailer Aid+ without doing harm.
Regardless what is SAID, I know what I HAVE DONE and there was no problem afterward.
I've yet to hear of anyone that has actually sustained damage from using a Trailer Aid+ type of tire change, only "he said she said" not to.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

I think he's referring to actually putting a jack directly on the axle.

I use an Andersen Rapid Jack, much like the Trailer Aid, and avoid having to use a jack altogether. Seems the safest way to change one on the road.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I think he's referring to actually putting a jack directly on the axle.

I use an Andersen Rapid Jack, much like the Trailer Aid, and avoid having to use a jack altogether. Seems the safest way to change one on the road.
Yep, you are correct. I misread his post. Sorry 'bout that.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #5

Thanks for the tip on Trailer Aid and Anderson jacks, I'll look into those. I've seen a situation where one tire was up off the ground due to a high spot anyway, so the axles must be designed for it. Although it would have been wise to have engineered a sweet spot to position a simple bottle jack.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #6

They have to be designed to handle the stress of hitting potholes and the like, so a gentle lifting of one wheel shouldn't be an issue...at least I've never heard of screwing up a trailer because of it. The bigger issue would be jacking in a way that might bend the axle by putting too much weight in one spot. That's why I won't put a jack on the axle itself.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have replaced wheel, brakes, seals, greased Bearings on all wheels without the feel of being uncomfortable. Additionally, I have removed the hub and driven 25 miles on three wheels. This I have confirmed with interstate towing companies that this is the way they tow given a burnt bearing on an axle. P.S. I also use bottle Jacks at this same frame location to take the bounce out while extended stays at campgrpunds.

"Home is where you park it, baby"
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
Rivnut

Previous comments are correct, don't jack a torsion axle, per the factory. While I was at the 2015 FROG a factory person showed me a hard point to use. But I was like the other person, too much blocks and too high, so I too used the TRAILER AID.
Replaced all four tires (upgrade) using the tire aid. Keep a board handy for sandy soil.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #9

Torsion axles and jacking

My question of concern regarding these new axles would be....what is a tech going to do to raise my Flagstaff in order to install 4 new tires. Where do you think he is going to place his jack. My guess is that he will use a jack directly under the axles. I don't think he will use a trailer aide at each tire.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

MHBroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle