Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Torsion axles causing blowouts?

While checking my axle bearings after our trip to Wyoming, I noticed that when I jacked up the driver's side of the camper, the rear tire came off the ground long before the front. There ended up to be about an inch difference.

Now I wonder, does this mean that the front tire is taking more of the load than the back? Once loaded, these rubber torsion axles don't move a heck of a lot, and an inch is a big difference.

I suppose the only way to check for sure is to go to a scale, and weigh each tire individually.
But if the "weak" axle is transferring weight to the other, that could mean that tire is over-loaded which might result in a failure at some point.

That is one thing that always bothered me about rubber torsion axles, the inability to share the load like a regular spring suspension does.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Bakken I think the issue of one raising before the other attributes to more weight for of axles then aft. Imo respectively.
Thoughts.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #3

turbo, I jacked the camper up on the axle subframe, which lits both axles at the same time. What I noticed is that the rear tire sits higher when right off the ground, completely unloaded.
What I am wondering about is if this equates to a difference in what load that tire carries when back down on the ground.
JFYI, the passenger side is not like this, with both tires coming off the ground at the same time. And I don't remember this issue before, so I am wondering if that one axle end is failing?

You know, if I didn't do any maintenance, I would never notice these things!
Doh!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
turbo, I jacked the camper up on the axle subframe, which lits both axles at the same time. What I noticed is that the rear tire sits higher when right off the ground, completely unloaded.
What I am wondering about is if this equates to a difference in what load that tire carries when back down on the ground.
JFYI, the passenger side is not like this, with both tires coming off the ground at the same time. And I don't remember this issue before, so I am wondering if that one axle end is failing?

You know, if I didn't do any maintenance, I would never notice these things!
Doh!
Can u see the torsion rubbers?
I'm wondering if one is noticeably mushe'd or fallng out.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You don't have this happening on one of the axles do you?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Dave
Interesting.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Member Daisy Boykin brought this up a couple of years ago. Here's the link... http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...les-11992.html

Alko or FR never answered why there's a slotted hole/mounting which would allow the axles to rotate. I fixed my front axle...the rear was OK.

Dave

Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

When Sidney (Daisy Boykin) posted that, I put an extra bolt in my axles, and made sure they were plenty tight. My axles are Lipperts with a bit of a different mounting bracket which allowed me to install the backup bolt.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Dave

That was fixed as soon as we got the camper home, bolted it up vertically through the camper frame. They ain't goin nowhere after that!
But I will have to check the rubbers as turbo suggested.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Now I gotta crawl under mine and check it out.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Now I gotta crawl under mine and check it out.
Don't let my paranoia get to you, I am just gunshy after what I found during my after-purchase inspection. Now I check everything on a regular basis, and probably worry too much!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #12

Was under my 2013 2703ws tonight and noticed the passenger side slotted bolt was in the near the top. The driver side was in the middle. Is it some kind of pre load for weight distribution? Noticed in an earlier thread FR never responded why there is a slotted hole. Might have to give them a call.
Bob
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Both sides should be at the top against the mounting tube. I had the dealer bolt the front and back of all 4 with gr 8 1/2" bolts before we took the 5er off the lot. I had to do it on my Flagstaff 831RLSS and it took me 4 hrs and a lot of sweat and a few choice words. It takes a little work to get the inner bolts inside the tube, but with a pc of safety wire fed thru the hole and wrapped around the threads, you can pull the bolts down thru the hole.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #14

An inch seems like a big difference. I would call that diligent, not paranoid. The tires on both sides of my trailer are very close when jacking up. Something I'm now going to keep a close eye on.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooiebob View Post
Was under my 2013 2703ws tonight and noticed the passenger side slotted bolt was in the near the top. The driver side was in the middle. Is it some kind of pre load for weight distribution? Noticed in an earlier thread FR never responded why there is a slotted hole. Might have to give them a call.
Bob
Ive been thinking that way also. Your 2703 is like my 8282. And it seems this floorplan puts way more weight on thr drivers side of the unit. Closet slide, bath, kitchen appliances, tv, super slide, all on small side. The curb side is hallway and small slide with loveseat. Seems a little driver-side-heavy to me. Could the torsion bars be adjusted to compensate?

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
DDC

Springs have shackles to equalize them or they would be hanging at different heights too, if there is no sign of the rubber deteriorating and coming out the sides I would not be to concerned.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
And it seems this floorplan puts way more weight on thr drivers side of the unit. Closet slide, bath, kitchen appliances, tv, super slide, all on small side. The curb side is hallway and small slide with loveseat. Seems a little driver-side-heavy to me. Could the torsion bars be adjusted to compensate?

The torsion axles are non-adjustable...here's more info on Al-ko axles... http://www.al-ko.us/download/4000-4400IbRubber(2).pdf

It would be interesting to check the height of the camper on level ground at all 4 corners and see if there's any difference. I believe that the weight of the slides on one slide or the other is somewhat negated when the slides are fully in/travel position.

Dave

Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
...Could the torsion bars be adjusted to compensate?
Short answer is NO the type of torsion used on trailers does not permit adjustment. The old Chrysler products did allow for adjustment, don't know about the new ones if anyone even uses them any more.

The torsion axles on trailers have the benefit of being as close to independent suspension as possible, whereas the spring suspension does not as the wheel that encounters a bump automatically transfers some load to the other wheel via the center walking beam.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Springs have shackles to equalize them or they would be hanging at different heights too.
??????????
If you jacked up a camper with spring suspension, the axles would probably always hang at different heights, and you could move them up and down with no difficulty. So that has nothing to do with what is going on with my rubber torsion axles.
Because rubber torsion axles are mounted independently, the load they carry is never shared equally between the two axles, and is completely dependant on how much the rubber "spring" is compressed. If one "spring" is already compressed before the other even begins to carry any load, that tire will carry more weight. And that is my concern.
And as dcheatwood said, this is also the heavy side of the camper, which means it could conceivably overload that one tire and maybe cause a failure in the future.
I will have to keep an eye on it, and if the difference in height gets any worse, then I probably have an axle failing.
Just something else to watch.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
??????????
If you jacked up a camper with spring suspension, the axles would probably always hang at different heights, and you could move them up and down with no difficulty. So that has nothing to do with what is going on with my rubber torsion axles.
Because rubber torsion axles are mounted independently, the load they carry is never shared equally between the two axles, and is completely dependant on how much the rubber "spring" is compressed. If one "spring" is already compressed before the other even begins to carry any load, that tire will carry more weight. And that is my concern.
And as dcheatwood said, this is also the heavy side of the camper, which means it could conceivably overload that one tire and maybe cause a failure in the future.
I will have to keep an eye on it, and if the difference in height gets any worse, then I probably have an axle failing.
Just something else to watch.
Try reading it again!!

Springs have shackles to equalize them or they would be hanging at different heights too, if there is no sign of the rubber deteriorating and coming out the sides I would not be to concerned.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote