Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Tow hitch receiver use for generator carrier

I want to take a Champion 3500 generator with us on occasion. It will not fit in any compartment of our 2014 Forest River Forrester Class C.

It seems the best way is a generator carrier mounted in the tow hitch receiver. I would want one that will fold up when not in use, and that can be secured against easy theft.

I have seen ones online that fit the bill, but would like advice from people who have used one. I would also like to be able to carry one or two propane bottles. I am supposing putting them into the aft storage compartment is unwise. Again, plz advise of your experiences.

Pic of receiver and electrical plug attached.
Thanks for any help.Click image for larger version

Name:	Receiver hitch and pelectrical plug.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	204862
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Multi-Slacker

The advice I've seen here generally runs to "don't do it" because the receivers are not strong enough for that kind of weight. Successful installations of this type have all involved welding or the drilling and bolting in of supports.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

Then you are saying a class C,can't tow a car or trailer? I think you are thinking of trailers not motor homes.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Then you are saying a class C,can't tow a car or trailer? I think you are thinking of trailers not motor homes.
True! Not enough coffee yet when I wrote that. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #5

That receiver should handle 500 pounds easy. Just allow some off for the lever action of the items you are loading on the platform, plus the weight of the platform itself. Consider paying the extra for an aluminum platform, they are 50-60 % the weight of the steel ones. I think even Harbor Freight has a few models.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
Old Engineer

I have a steel "basket" type of carrier that folds up when not being used.

Have carried 300 pounds on it long distances with no problems.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I had a welder make sure my rear bumper and receiver were strong enough (they weren't so I had him reinforce for me), mine was trailer, your MH may be fine. Click on the BLUE type for link access, This is the product I used:

LetsGoAero GearDeck

It's a little pricey but the thing I liked most was the ability to slide out. I am able to slide it away from the back of the trailer and run it in the case. Of course the inverter is turned to have the exhaust face outwards and I use a small board to prop the lid about half open while the gen is running (and just to be even safer I added a couple extra CarbonDioxide detectors inside the trailer.

Here's a video of one on a fifth wheel:

eTrailer Video showing how the LetGoAero Geardeck works

I've had mine 5 years now and although I thought it was overly expensive at the time, I'm now very glad I went with this one.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, hitch