Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Wanabe Retiree

Tow Vehicle brake systems

We tow a 2007 Jeep JK (2 door) behind out 2018 Berkshire 37A. My question is do I really need the brakes on the jeep to help? I hardly know it's there. A friend was telling me it's the law in some states but I doubt I'd get pulled over to check.
Our Berkshire weighs 30K LBS and I don't think the jeeps brakes will help me stop.
Will it wear my rigs brakes out faster?

Thank you
psiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

my recollection is that any trailer over 1500# GVW requires brakes in CA. They don't state what type, just that they be there. This comes from years of trailer boat memories so might be old news and need to confirm it applies to Tow'ds DMV or CHP should be a resource

Or AAA if you're a member
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

What does the Jeep weigh? State laws vary based on towed vehicle / trailer weight, but I’m guessing most states require a towed vehicle braking system for the Jeep, by law. If you want to chose to ignore the laws, I guess that’s your business.

We tow a car that weighs only 2500 pounds, but we installed a braking and emergency breakaway system. The breakaway system, required in many states, stops the towed vehicle if it detaches from the motor home.

Here are typical web pages with such details. I have no idea if it’s accurate, but it’s food for thought.

Braking System Requirements By State and Province | Hitchsource.com
Towing Laws | Brake Buddy®
https://www.readybrake.com/state-towing-laws.html
Old 12-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #4

backs me up!
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiebert View Post
We tow a 2007 Jeep JK (2 door) behind out 2018 Berkshire 37A. My question is do I really need the brakes on the jeep to help? I hardly know it's there. A friend was telling me it's the law in some states but I doubt I'd get pulled over to check.
Our Berkshire weighs 30K LBS and I don't think the jeeps brakes will help me stop.

Thank you
My brother has a 39' Monaco diesel pusher and he put braking on his Jeep. Common sense!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #6

When your Jeep breaks loose and ends up in the opposing lane then you'll wish you had an aux brake WITH a breakaway system.
With my Aux set at 5/10 I can feel the toad braking, especially in a "crash stop" situation.
Please let us know where you are, so we can avoid that area!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiebert View Post

Thank you
Here is the AAA website with the state requirements. Biggest thing is safety. Like what was said, if the Jeep broke away somehow, you don't want it going very far.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #8

I tow a Cadillac SRX behind my Dynamax Isata 4 Series with an Invisibrake System and breakaway. Once installed, it works when you plug in the lighting cable. Very simple to hook up and unhook. Not only required by law in all states now, but just for the peace of mind. Also, there is the financial liability issue in you are involved in an accident and are not in compliance with the law!!
geneandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #9

I tow a 2013 Jeep JK 2 door behind our Dynamax I5 30FW. I am using an RVibrake3 portable system. It works well and only takes a few minutes to set up. There are several other manufacturers that sell either portable or permanent systems and I am sure they all work equally as well. In my opinion is is worth the $1500 to be legal and safe.
TahoeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle